Spv C550 - Not For Gaming!

Guest adamkandel

Guest adamkandel

As many of you c550 holders may already know. Their is a lot of problems with playing games on the handset. First of all a few of the games have got the keypad messed up because they were designed for older smartphones. And practically all of the games won't run in full screen. they occupy around 75% instead.

What i wanted to know is has anybody figured out how to get any games working in full screen?

Adam

Guest Radeon12345
As many of you c550 holders may already know. Their is a lot of problems with playing games on the handset. First of all a few of the games have got the keypad messed up because they were designed for older smartphones. And practically all of the games won't run in full screen. they occupy around 75% instead.

What i wanted to know is has anybody figured out how to get any games working in full screen?

Adam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same problem here :cry: , because the games were designed for lower res screens there is little anyone can do, they only way you are going to get full screen games is if they make the game compatable with this phones high res QVGA display

Lets hope some games get re encoded to use the high res screen as they should look awesome on the new screen :)

well in theory any games that were previous ports from PPC could be converted fairly easily as the old(?) PPC res is the same as the new 550

Guest dolphinsmile

Well thats sealed it for me.

No c550 shall I buy.

I've spent a fortune on games for the c500 and I'm not about to go down that road again.

Guest drblow

Has anybody contacted the developers of any of the games you would like to see working? I know that SBSH are preparing Papyrus & Facade for the new C550 screen rez. I would imagine other developers are thinking the same thing, now that there is a considerably larger amount of screen space. You never know, it might not even involve buying a whole new version! But it would do no harm to begin letting developers know that there is/will be a demand for software in the new screen rez & see what they say, eh? :)

Guest the_ape
Has anybody contacted the developers of any of the games you would like to see working?  I know that SBSH are preparing Papyrus & Facade for the new C550 screen rez.  I would imagine other developers are thinking the same thing, now that there is a considerably larger amount of screen space.  You never know, it might not even involve buying a whole new version!  But it would do no harm to begin letting developers know that there is/will be a demand for software in the new screen rez & see what they say, eh?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Papyrus works a treat on the 550, the extra screen real estate is a godsend....

Guest mavisdavis

No response from Jamdat I sent them an email on Friday, Spoke to Sven from Ruttensoft and he's working on an upgrade to the brilliant homescreen designer. I'll mail about VP Mobile now whilst I think about it :)

Guest mavisdavis

Heres a reply from Jeff Brown from VP Mobile >

"we will update for it at some time, and probably in the near future... we have an update we were just about ready to release"

So thats great news.

Just emailed Momentum Games (Pocket Mini Golf series) Hope to get a reply soon. Also emailed Alien Invention :)

Ive not even got my phone yet :0

Edit: Response from Momentum Games >

"If you buy "Pocket Mini Golf 2" then I think you'll find that it works fine with the new resolution (240x320). We will not be updating "Pocket Mini Golf 1" because it has been superseded.

If you do experience any problems then please get back to me."

Edited by mavisdavis

Guest Pondrew

The higher res screen is standard in all Smartphones from now on. In fact, soon enough Smartphone software may require it. It won't take long for most software updates to come...

Guest AIM-Koen

We are planning to support the new resolutions as soon as possible, we just don't know with which game to begin first :roll: . Suggestions?

Guest nIghtorius

Adam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try my game.. (it was never designed for a C550.. but it was designed to be run in multiple resolutions.. be it lower or higher then 176x220)..

Columns SPV/CE

nIghtorius - not sure how you are accessing the screen - if you are using GDI and a stretched blit (or indeed the new hires GAPI code) then your game will be fine on the 550

if you are using GAPI and GXBeginDraw(); and GXEndDraw(); functions then it will be postage sized as per other games

Edited by muff

Guest pd.ryder

nIghtorious - downloaded and extracted. Do all the files need pasting into a folder on the m-SD card then a shortcut creating in the games directory, or am I off the mark here?

Guest martin
We are planning to support the new resolutions as soon as possible, we just don't know with which game to begin first  :roll: . Suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean new games or porting existing games ?

Guest nIghtorius
nIghtorius - not sure how you are accessing the screen - if you are using GDI and a stretched blit (or indeed the new hires GAPI code) then your game will be fine on the 550

if you are using GAPI and GXBeginDraw(); and GXEndDraw(); functions then it will be postage sized as per other games

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it will not be postage sized.. since it also runs full screen on PDA's (320x240 and even 640x480 ones)..

I was smart enough to read out the display's maximum resolution (width, height). and if needed be. scale up to those resolutions.. and pressing the right button in the main menu will also enable a higher quality (linear filtered) scaling technique :)

nIghtorious - downloaded and extracted. Do all the files need pasting into a folder on the m-SD card then a shortcut creating in the games directory, or am I off the mark here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dump it in any newly created folder on your m-SD card and enjoy it.. unless some certificate crap comes up. (I do not know if the C550 is application unlocked)

Guest pd.ryder

nIghtorious - all works fine except for the dratted screen res. Like most games, its in the middle with a border. Is there a setting menu I'm missing for altering the res?

However, strangely addictive :)

Guest mavisdavis
We are planning to support the new resolutions as soon as possible, we just don't know with which game to begin first  :roll: . Suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes Koen,

Please please do Dougie Lampkins. I'd given up on this game due to the Button multipress issue on theC500, And now the C550 works fine I can start on my character creations again :) but the game doesn't run on the c550 :cry:

Guest nIghtorius
nIghtorious - all works fine except for the dratted screen res. Like most games, its in the middle with a border. Is there a setting menu I'm missing for altering the res?

However, strangely addictive :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it basicly means that a C550 reports a 176x220 resolution even when it has a 240x320 display? if that's the case.. it won't make things easier..

hardlocking the res on 240x320 on C550 isn't going to help either if the "postage" sized image is centered nicely on the screen.. there is some "compatibility" modus going on here... which is very effective in undermining my "future-proof" programming.

Is there a way to bypass this compatibility thing?

even more questions..

* Has it a 16-bit framebuffer (or support for it). (since specs says it has ~162144 colors)

* if so (16-bit framebuffer).. does it trigger the "compatibility-mode"?

* is it possible to have framebuffers > 16-bits?

* is it possible to create a 240x320x16bpp framebuffer?

so many questions..