Howto: Install RealPlayer onto SmartPhone

Guest looeee

It doesn't sound like you copied in the menuhack.INI file from my 1st post which populates those 10 fields

I guessed the coordinates then used the P command to change the colour of the pixel underneath, then carried on guessing and adjusting until I hit the button.

The volume controls are do-able too (but you may as well use the buttons on the side of the phone)

I could not find any way to scroll the file.  If you have any luck, please share it with me/the forum.

looeee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the content of your .ini:

Open File -->1

Clip Info -->2

Full Screen -->3

PlayList --> 4

Prefs --> 5

Open Location -->6

Key Label Eight -->7

Exit -->8

I used it as is and DOES NOT WORK and it does not contain 10 entries. In addition, notice entry #7 "Key Label Eight == 99999" is that a problem (should you fill this entry).

Here is the content of your .ini:

Open File -->1

Clip Info -->2

Full Screen  -->3

PlayList  --> 4

Prefs --> 5

Open Location  -->6

Key Label Eight  -->7

Exit -->8

I used it as is and DOES NOT WORK and it does not contain 10 entries. In addition, notice entry #7 "Key Label Eight  == 99999" is that a problem (should you fill this entry).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have that file saved as Menuhack.ini in the same folder as realplayer.exe. I can't see what it is that you have done wrong

looeee

I have that file saved as Menuhack.ini in the same folder as realplayer.exe.  I can't see what it is that you have done wrong

looeee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am having the same problem on my smt5600. All the fields are populated, but none of them do anything, i.e. I press 3 to see the clip info and nothing happens. The rm files still play, but the menuhack doesn't work for one reason or another.

Guest sriaz60
here's something to try to fix the for the "file or url not found" problem

Open up smartexplorer

go to File->Open->Manage File types...

scroll down to .ra

Menu->Edit file type

ensure that the "command to execute" is something like

"\storage card\program files\real\realplayer.exe" "%1"

you need the quotes around the %1

do the same for .rm

looeee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear Looeee

I have a Qtek 8310 and i follow the steps you have describe until now but i still doesent work.. When i open a .ram file it says " Server disconnected unexpectdly" sometimes it says "This clip is not playable" but it is a realmedie file

i hope you can help me

sorry for my bad english

Riaz

please let me know if that helps

Edited by sriaz60

• 3 weeks later...
I am having the same problem on my smt5600. All the fields are populated, but none of them do anything, i.e. I press 3 to see the clip info and nothing happens. The rm files still play, but the menuhack doesn't work for one reason or another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once you've pressed 3 to see the clip info, you have to use task manager or xBar to switch back to Realplayer to see the dialog. You can use the joystick to navigate the options screen. Click the action button to dismiss it.

I have a Qtek 8310 and i follow the steps you have describe until now but i still doesent work.. When i open a .ram file it says " Server disconnected unexpectdly" sometimes it says "This clip is not playable" but it is a realmedie file

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you browse web pages?

What happens when you go to

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/radio4/just.ram ?

looeee

Guest elziado

When I try to run realplayer.exe I get "access denied, program not digitally signed with a trusted certificate"

I don't understand I have app unlocked my phone and it has worked fine with other programs.

As to the method I changed the reg values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 40

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\0000101b = 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001017 = 144

Any ideas?

Hmm

I don't know about those reg values .. or why it might not be working.

I have seen that error in the past with a corrupt file. Could you try to extract it again from the cab file and copy it again to your phone?

looeee

Guest elziado
Hmm

I don't know about those reg values .. or why it might not be working.

I have seen that error in the past with a corrupt file.  Could you try to extract it again from the cab file and copy it again to your phone?

looeee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yay! It works. You were right, it was a corrupt exe file! Stupid windows confusing errors!

Thanks very much! 8)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kittycat

Hi, Im using Windowws Mobile 5! Followed all your steps and successfully installed Realplayer! Problem is when i get the "file or URL not found" message as Im not using smartexplorer it dosnt seem to have the options you describe! Do you possibly know how i do it? Im using an MDA Compact 2!

Thanks xx

• 2 months later...
Guest zormic

Hi, I hope that this topic is still alive.

Finally managed to run Real player on my JasJar and it works great with streamed video but only when using 3G network connection. When using WIFI (that is fully operational in other apps) player just tries for 30 seconds and then pops up a message "Response or data from server timed out" and that is it.

Anybody has a clue and could help me with this. Thanx...

PS

Using latest ROM on JJ

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sruthika

Hi,

The procedure is perfect. I have copied realplayer on my O2 Xphone (spv e200) and its working great. I can run .rm and .ra files.

But when I go to bbc to stream .ram files, I get a message that "Response or data from server timed out".

I know that it has something to do with the streaming settings in realplayer. If only there was a much better way to scroll or use the joystick in realplayer, we can solve this problem too :)

Is there any other solution for streaming?

Guest looeee
But when I go to bbc to stream .ram files, I get a message that "Response or data from server timed out".

I know that it has something to do with the streaming settings in realplayer. If only there was a much better way to scroll or use the joystick in realplayer, we can solve this problem too :)

Is there any other solution for streaming?

I take it that you are connected to activesync over bluetooth. Maybe the bluetooth connection isn't fast enough to cope with the streams. The ones from the BBC are 44Khz 64Kbps which may be a little too much. :)

Guest sruthika
I take it that you are connected to activesync over bluetooth. Maybe the bluetooth connection isn't fast enough to cope with the streams. The ones from the BBC are 44Khz 64Kbps which may be a little too much.

Hi Looeee,

Yes, I am connected to activesync over bluetooth. But when I play streams using TCPMP player or Windows Media Player, the streaming works perfectly. My internet line is 1Mbps. I get very good download speed also on my mobile. I can download 180mb files in 10 minutes.

Is their any streaming settings to be changed on Realplayer? I am not able to check it since I dont have a pocket pc here. Can u check if there r any settings that r to be changed?

Guest looeee

none that I have ever changed.

It has always worked with defaults for me.

There are a bunch of registry entries you could explore at

HKLM\SOFTWARE\realnetworks\realplayermobile\config

these mention things like bandwidth that may help.

Maybe someone else has some ideas

looeee

Guest dunkiedunk

great can play the standard files but cant stream from radio 1 or so

and select play in standalone player

says "the file cannot be viewed on this device"

as the bbc player just sits there if I press play

any ideas?

Guest timberlin

I am from Taiwan and It's my first writing in this board for smartphone software,

First of all, I have to thank looeee because of your patient teaching and your wonderful offer that I have been dreaming about for a long time!!

Frankly, I am a freshman in the smartphone world. I did know nothing about the concept of "smartphone" until I bought my favorite one-Dopod S300-2 weeks ago. So I spent lots of time studying smartphone-related information in Taiwanese discussion board for smartphone and now here(MoDaCo)-a really nice place filled with much enthusiasm and devotion!!

I always think that the build-up of RealPlayer in the smartphone would be cool and attractive to me, because i really have many video and audio files belonging to RealMedia, and I feel, just like you, the conversion of different files is time-consuming. So I am really excited to see such a topic here!!

I just follow your clear direction, and initially I met some problems, but after downloading the "smartexplorer", it's OK to function. When I see the RealPlayer skin on my phone, I really feel excited and understand futher that Everything is Possible by smartphone!!

Ra files are no problems and run smoothly. A little pity is that I can't see the rm. files on that(the sample you offered here is OK but mine showed sound without image). Anyway, I think so far it is enough and enjoyable. I know you have tried your best to conquer every problem for us to have the same right to enjoy RealPlayer on the smartphone just as the Nokia Symbian users!!

I also wonder the reason why there is still no "real" RealPlayer version for smartphone, though I favor WM 5.0 OS, I really admire Nokia Symbian OS owns the install of RealMedia. Anyone of you know any information about the possibility of RealMedia in the smartphone in the future??

Guest looeee

Hi timberlin

Welcome to modaco. I'm sure that you will find a lot of interesting things here, and lots of people who can help you will all kinds of issues.

dunkiedunk

welcome too!

All you need to do is to use smartexplorer to make an association between .ram files and realplayer in exactly the same way as you did for .ra files. You will also need to check the box called "Accept download in IE"

I use this page to access the audio on the BBC site

You are correct that you have to click the link labelled "play in standalone player" to get it to play on the phone. This will enable you to listen to any of the stations live streaming links but the beauty of the BBC site is that everything is archived. Radio4 and BBC7 have a "play in standalone player" link on all of their archives but for the other stations you may have to do some fiddling, here's how:

1. On your desktop PC navigate to the show that you will want to stream on the phone. I'm going to use Russell Brand's show on 6 Music as an example but it is the same principle for all the other shows on all the other stations.
  2. Right-click on the page and choose View Source and the html will open in notepad
  3. go to the Edit->Find menu and search for RPM
  4. You may have to push the Find Next button a few times. You are looking for a line that looks like this:
    The bit in bold is the same for all shows
  5. Open up Firefox as you cannot perform this step (easily) in IE. (I can provide a guide for IE if you really want one)
  6. In Firefox's address bar, type view-source:http://www.bbc.co.uk and paste in the rest of the url that you found in step 5 so it looks like this:
    view-source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/6music/6m_brand.rpm
  7. A window will open containing a line beginning with rtsp://
  8. Go to File->Save As and save it as a .ram file (change it from whatever.rpm to whatever.ram)
  9. Copy that file to your phone
  10. When you run the file by clicking on it in smartexplorer, the show will start playing in realplayer
  11. These URLs rarely change so next week when there's a new show you'll be able to use the same .ram file to access it from the archive
looeee

Guest dunkiedunk
Hi timberlin

Welcome to modaco. I'm sure that you will find a lot of interesting things here, and lots of people who can help you will all kinds of issues.

dunkiedunk

welcome too!

All you need to do is to use smartexplorer to make an association between .ram files and realplayer in exactly the same way as you did for .ra files. You will also need to check the box called "Accept download in IE"

I use this page to access the audio on the BBC site

You are correct that you have to click the link labelled "play in standalone player" to get it to play on the phone. This will enable you to listen to any of the stations live streaming links but the beauty of the BBC site is that everything is archived. Radio4 and BBC7 have a "play in standalone player" link on all of their archives but for the other stations you may have to do some fiddling, here's how:

1. On your desktop PC navigate to the show that you will want to stream on the phone. I'm going to use Russell Brand's show on 6 Music as an example but it is the same principle for all the other shows on all the other stations.
  2. Right-click on the page and choose View Source and the html will open in notepad
  3. go to the Edit->Find menu and search for RPM
  4. You may have to push the Find Next button a few times. You are looking for a line that looks like this:
    The bit in bold is the same for all shows
  5. Open up Firefox as you cannot perform this step (easily) in IE. (I can provide a guide for IE if you really want one)
  6. In Firefox's address bar, type view-source:http://www.bbc.co.uk and paste in the rest of the url that you found in step 5 so it looks like this:
    view-source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/6music/6m_brand.rpm
  7. A window will open containing a line beginning with rtsp://
  8. Go to File->Save As and save it as a .ram file (change it from whatever.rpm to whatever.ram)
  9. Copy that file to your phone
  10. When you run the file by clicking on it in smartexplorer, the show will start playing in realplayer
  11. These URLs rarely change so next week when there's a new show you'll be able to use the same .ram file to access it from the archive
looeee

You sir are a star! Many Many thanks for your help :)!

Guest sruthika

Hi Friends,

I just found a better way to use the Real Player interface. You dont need menu hack anymore. You can just select a .rm or .ra file from your smartphone and then you can naviage all the options inside the real player itself.

I am using a program called SPhelper. It can be found at this website.

Step 1 :

How to use SPHelper

Just download this zip package, extract the files and copy them to your smartphone. Launch sphelper.exe, you will see the menu and virtual cursor.

SPHelper hotkey:

Back:Hide cursor

Left softkey:Send command to current program

Right softkey:Menu of SPHelper

Joystick:Move cursor

Action:Left button click

1:Double click

2:Right button click

3:Jump to the next focus control

5:Send "Enter" key to current window

6:Send "Escape" key to current window

When cursor is hide:

Long press 8:Show windows manager

Long press 0:Show virtual cursor

Step 2 :

Procedure to run SPHelper

Create a shortcut for SPhelper in your start menu

Whenever you need to use realplayer, do the following

1) Select on Start from your home screen

2) Run SPHelper

3) You will see a mouse cursor on your screen, pressing back button will hide it

4) Then might be a splash screen will be shown. at the splash screen press cancel. (its the registration screen)

5) Now you will be back to normal navigation

6) Go to File Manager and select the file u want to play on RealPlayer

7) Real Player will open and play the file

8) As mentioned in Step 1 (above), Long press on 0 button will show the mouse cursor again and u will be able to click on the real player buttons

9) You will also see the captions of the 2 softkeys change (Left Soft key = Controls & Right Soft key = Menu)

10) You can use these soft keys to change all the settings on real player.

11) You can even use Menu>Current Window>Move or Zoom option to move or zoom the real player window.

Thats it!!! You can use every option available in Real Player for Pocket PC.

• 2 weeks later...