C550 & QTEK 8100 Differences

Guest TigerNet

Guest TigerNet

Right, I am trying to figure out what are the actual differences between these two phones...

...so far I understand the the C550 has a better camera...

...what other differences???

Cheers

Nick

Guest Simon Desser
Right, I am trying to figure out what are the actual differences between these two phones...

...so far I understand the the C550 has a better camera...

...what other differences???

Cheers

Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the C550 has a 1.3 million pixel camera, and the 8100 only has a VGA camera. Although the C550's camera is a big improvement on the C500's, I find the pictures are often too saturated and contrasty, and the 8100's pictures are not saturated enough! However, both of these problems can easily be put right on a PC if you wish.

The biggest difference is the C550's screen, it's stunning to look at, but then again you've got the problem that most programs and games don't display properly on it, and a number of games don't work at all :cry:

The C550 also has a lot more physical total memory, 51.60mb as opposed to 21.62mb, but to be honest, I've found the C550 to be a bit sluggish at times, and also see the "hourglass" more often than on the 8100 :?:

Other than that, it's cosmetic really, the 8100 in my opinion is gorgeous, and people comment on it when you're using it, it really does have an ipod look to it 8)

The C550 has an "Internet Button" on the top left side of the phone, the 8100 has it on the front next to the music buttons.

To me the general feel and build quality of the 8100 seems a bit better than the C550, it just somehow feels more solid.

At the end of the day, they're both great, it really boils down whether you want to give up gaming at full screen for the sake of a slightly better camera :??:

EDIT - Just noticed you have a Qtek 8100 :)

post-56-1122020964_thumb.jpg

post-56-1122020986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simon Desser

Guest Pondrew

Surely in 6month the C550 will be far more desirable as QVGA becomes standard. Then the HTC Amadeus (8100) hardware will seem more antiquated then the more upto date HTC Hurricane (C550).

Guest Pondrew

Well, just been doing some searching round the web and seems the QTEK 8200 (HTC Hurricane - identical hardware to the C550) is coming soon.

Guest Pagemakers
Well, just been doing some searching round the web and seems the QTEK 8200 (HTC Hurricane - identical hardware to the C550) is coming soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been looking around the net following your posting and I am surprised QTEK have gone for the 550 styling when the 8020 & 8100 follow non-SPV type designs.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Guest peekie

with the next generation phones on the way with wm5 there will be more full screen games ect as these phones will have the same screen as the C550 , so its only a matter of time , or maybe a modaco member will make a emu to play these games in full :)

Guest Phonz

If HTC follow their previous trends, further updated models with varying shell designs hopefully will follow the c550/qtek8200/HTC hurricane. After HTC released the amadeus (spvc500) they released a whole bunch of updated models with slightly increased speed, memory, camera and different shell designs.

Im also dissapointed the new c550 is bland in comparison to the previous music phones (dopod 575,585 SDA music, qtek 8100 etc). Its practically the same as the c500, which is nice but what happened to the ipod funk that made it into the SDA music/dopod 585/qtek 8100 etc)????

Its not really the carriers fault - HTC are the ones who make it and they're doing a great job all things considered. At least they haven't gone and reduced the qvga screen size down like samsung looks likely to do with the i300 if its ever released. I mean whats the point of having 320x240 pixel resolution and then making it tiny??

My 565 (c500) is still good apart from the dust so Im waiting until a new flush of HTC models following the c550 are released later this year early 2006. With any luck they'll be carrying mobile 5 by then :)

Guest Pondrew
I've been looking around the net following your posting and I am surprised QTEK have gone for the 550 styling when the 8020 & 8100 follow non-SPV type designs.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must admit the same thought had come into my mind. Still, I'm sure this isn't the end of the Qtek lines originality.

Guest Pondrew
...With any luck they'll be carrying mobile 5 by then :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm hoping the C600 will make the leap to Windows Mobile 5. Seems illogical to release yet another new Smartphone with the older operating system given Windows Mobile 5's official release was a while ago...

Guest morpheus2702

Is anyone sure as to how far off a Windows Mobile 5.0 device is?

Yes, the OS hs been formally announced. On the one hand we've seen the leaked ROM doing the rounds, but on the other hand as far as I'm aware the Motorola Q-phone is the only device to say that it is using WM5.0 - and that's not due until early next year?

Edited by morpheus2702

Guest Pondrew
The Motorola Q (see news section) reckons it will be one of the first to use WM5 and it's not due out 'til Q1 2006.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless they mean out of the Smartphones only that's obviously wrong as the HTC Universal is confirmed WM5 and comes out in October this year.

Guest Phonz

One would imagine late Q4/early 2006 would be a suitable marketting time to release such W5 devices. By then hopefully some new models unreleased yet will be out. Just saw pics of the samsung M600 - nice phone, shame its not gsm and slimmer!

As for the c600, it looks terrible in my opinion. If HTC are continuing the stying of the c500, hopefully they'll also continue with their other funkier style models (sdaII, dopod 575, 585, qtek 8100 etc) as updated models come into fruition.

'Form follows function!'

Guest TigerNet

...played with the C550 and QTEK 8100 side by side the other day, and to be honest there was not that much difference in the screen quality...ok, the C550 has a better camera, but the differences are not enough for me to consider changing (note: did not say upgrading) devices...I also like the styling of the 8100 better...

Cheers

Nick

Guest Pagemakers

Oh,

Re the PM I sent you. Can you confirm if you can search for contacts (on the 8100) when composing an MMS or is it like my SDA where you have to scroll down the list of contacts one by one......