What is the deal with tom tom?

Guest bretto

Guest bretto

Hey guys

What is going on with tom tom and gps? I dont understand why so many people need a gps. Every second post these days on just about any forum has tom tom in it.

Is it that difficult to find your way around where all these people come from that they need a gps to tell them how to get there or am I missing something vital? :shock:

I just seems that every time something new comes out for our devices someone is asking if tom tom works on it.

Enlighten me please because im hearing tom tom drums in my sleep :)

Guest Disco Stu

Sadly this phenomenon illustrates the failings of the English education system.

Young people today seem to have no awareness at all of the general geography of their country and leave school unable to read roadsigns.

Witness also the introduction in supermarkets of pre-mashed potato and the popularity of Coldplay and Crazy Frog.

I think some form of national service is necessary to redress this malaise.

Guest bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont know if I like the idea of directionally challenged tank drivers no matter how scary it would be having a tank beating down on you with crazy frog pumping out of it at max vol :)

Guest mcwarre
Young people today.......

Stu,

You sound like my Dad. Come to think of it you look like him too. Hold on a mo, you're not my Dad are you??? :) :D

Guest Samsonite

got to admit, i am hopeless at navigating!! I had to get a satnav thing cos my job put me on the road and when it went belly up one day, it took me about an hour longer than it should for me to get home!!! sad huh...

All of the more seasoned reps at our place took the p!ss mercilessly when they found out and the rest of the afternoon was spent telling me all about the little backroads and rat runs that shave vital milliseconds from a journey to that all important meeting... muppetts!!

All i can say is that satnav lets me stay in bed longer till i have to hit the road of a morning and gets me home quicker... albeit to the dirty newborn nappies and screaming toddler that my life is right now...

Guest pwhooftman2
Hey guys

What is going on with tom tom and gps? I dont understand why so many people need a gps. Every second post these days on just about any forum has tom tom in it.

Is it that difficult to find your way around where all these people come from that they need a gps to tell them how to get there or am I missing something vital?  :shock:

I just seems that every time something new comes out for our devices someone is asking if tom tom works on it.

Enlighten me please because im hearing tom tom drums in my sleep :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've travelled about all countries in Europe, Morocco, Israel, Egypt, 25 states of America and half of Canada on my motorcycle just by using old fashioned maps (and no, i didn't travel that many countries because i couldn't find my way home :D ). Planning routes was always fun & exciting. Nevertheless, i even use TomTom on routes to work/friends/family which i know by heart already because,,, it's fun! It's one of those one-in-a-ten-years developments with which i experiment & tinker with for many, many evenings.

Guest brykins

I use it for finishing off journeys....main route planning is easy...I live right next to the A1 and know how to get to within twenty miles of most places without even looking at a map. But it's that last bit of any journey that is always the worst - local roads!

So I tend to switch it on then - and it really does make things easy, especially if you do happen to miss a turn....no need to find a drive, turn around and back-track....the sat nav will just find a new route - same if you find a hold-up or road-works....just turn off at the next exit and find a new route!

That's where it does come into it's own - just the abilty to re-route within seconds if you go off the chosen route. Oh - and the fact that it keeps tabs on where you are on the journey and when you're going to arrive, so you know if you have time for a stop or if you need to speed up a bit!

Guest nsp24
That's where it does come into it's own - just the abilty to re-route within seconds if you go off the chosen route. Oh - and the fact that it keeps tabs on where you are on the journey and when you're going to arrive, so you know if you have time for a stop or if you need to speed up a bit!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree exacty with your post brykins, TomTom has saved me hours the only problem is since I have got it I have not a a good reason to SHOUT at the wife ;-)

Guest brykins
I agree exacty with your post brykins, TomTom has saved me hours the only problem is since I have got it I have not a a good reason to SHOUT at the wife ;-)

Oh...can always find a reason for that ;-)

Actually - I do have one problem with it - it's making me lazy. I have always been proud to be one of those people that remembers where places are, how to get there and how to get back - go somewhere once and I'd always remember how to get there again.

Well - my first trip with SatNav was from Peterborough to a printers in Essex....I got there and realised that I had NO IDEA where I was or how to get there again!

So - I now have to KEEP the SatNav!

Guest bretto
Oh...can always find a reason for that ;-)

Actually - I do have one problem with it - it's making me lazy. I have always been proud to be one of those people that remembers where places are, how to get there and how to get back - go somewhere once and I'd always remember how to get there again.

Well - my first trip with SatNav was from Peterborough to a printers in Essex....I got there and realised that I had NO IDEA where I was or how to get there again!

So - I now have to KEEP the SatNav!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Sydney there are so many oneway streets and "no right turns" that generally I find I have to turn left and circle around to go right.

Does a satnav cope with that? Or do I need to keep my bogus "road closed" barrier in the boot?

Guest brykins
In Sydney there are so many oneway streets and "no right turns" that generally I find I have to turn left and circle around to go right.

Does a satnav cope with that? Or do I need to keep my bogus "road closed" barrier in the boot?

My TomTom certainly knows about one way streets - not yet had any experience with any "no right turns" but I am guessing that they will be known and worked around.

Guest sandys

Tom Tom seems very cool, while yes you could read a map and that would be cheaper, its nice to have, don't know about anyone else but I verify the route tom tom gives with a map before setting off to make sure it goes the way I would and make modifications to its route of necessary, I then rely on it to tell me where to go as I am driving, saves stopping to check maps, me missing a turning or misremembering route etc. its great.

Guest bretto
Tom Tom seems very cool, while yes you could read a map and that would be cheaper, its nice to have, don't know about anyone else but I verify the route tom tom gives with a map before setting off to make sure it goes the way I would and make modifications to its route of necessary, I then rely on it to tell me where to go as I am driving, saves stopping to check maps, me missing a turning or misremembering route etc. its great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So let me get this right...

You tell the satnav where it is you wish to go and it maps out a route. Then you get your map out and double check the satnavs strategy making any necessary tweaks.

Then the satnav tells you where to go...

Sounds great!. Can you get one with a nagging whining voice so it makes me feel right at home? :)

Edited by bretto

Guest awarner [MVP]

The maps TomTom use are checked and updated on a regular basis so oneway streets etc should not be a problem.

As for checking routes I generally do not bother now as I've had many interesting discussions at work about routes and TomTom has won more times that the "this is a better route" crew.

I've tested this by going the TT route on the way there and the suggested better route on the way back.

Guest Samsonite

with CoPilot, you get two options of the 'quickest' route and the shortest. From my house to cambridge, the quickest route goes round the M25 clockwise and the shortest route takes me over Tower Bridge!! neither is the best route.. I would go thru D'ford Tunnel as that is the optimum route considering traffic and time of travel etc...

As far as i know , none of the GPS offerrings calculate routes based on time of travel or even known blackspots...

as for the people that say they know a better route, they are usually the ones who spend their life disappering down gravel tracks and single lane rally routes!! great fun if you're in the mind for ar$eholing around but not if you gotta be somewhere in one piece!!

Guest brykins
The maps TomTom use are checked and updated on a regular basis so oneway streets etc should not be a problem.

Is this "updated" as in, new versions of the software have updated maps? As I've never tried to update my Version 3 maps, which must be a couple of years old now.

Guest peekie

i use tomtom in holland , the home of tomtom and the maps are not all correct missing roundabouts which have been there for 2 years and the biggest problem i have is it has no event places , try trying schipol ( the airport ) and you cant as it needs a street and house number , tomtom has saved my wife alot as well ( means she finds her way home quicker :) ) have not got the tomtom 5 yet is it worth the upgrade ?

Guest tsutton
with CoPilot, you get two options of the 'quickest' route and the shortest.  From my house to cambridge, the quickest route goes round the M25 clockwise and the shortest route takes me over Tower Bridge!!  neither is the best route..  I would go thru D'ford Tunnel as that is the optimum route considering traffic and time of travel etc... 

Maybe you didn't enable 'via Tolls' since Dartford Tunnel is toll road.

Guest sandys
So let me get this right...

You tell the satnav where it is you wish to go and it maps out a route. Then you get your map out and double check the satnavs strategy making any necessary tweaks.

Then the satnav tells you where to go...

Sounds great!. Can you get one with a nagging whining voice so it makes me feel right at home? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) it sounds mad to check the sat nav route but when you have been informed that the route its taking you through London on a weekend has a couple of street markets and it would be easier to go M25 you need to tell it that, Sat Nav doesn't give you the routing info based on time of day and whats going on in the local area, not sure if it would sort this stuff out with its traffic dial up facility but I don't use that, so if you know that one way is goingto be harder than the other you have to tweak it, if you don't know anything about the area you are going to you just have to rely on it but I am normally going to see someone/company and get told areas to aviod often.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Sadly this phenomenon illustrates the failings of the English education system.

Young people today seem to have no awareness at all of the general geography of their country and leave school unable to read roadsigns.

Witness also the introduction in supermarkets of pre-mashed potato and the popularity of Coldplay and Crazy Frog.

I'n defence of todays young people ;) I have to agree with brykins's comments above. While i'm perfectly capable of taking a brief look at a map and getting the jist of what motorways and a-roads i need, GPS is still invaluable when navigating around side roads and town centres!

:)