C550 Registry Hack - Display settings

Guest xnathanx

Guest xnathanx

Just wondering if anybody has tried to work around TomTom compaitibility issues with C550 by altering screen res settings in registry.

Obviously you need to unlock the phone first and get a registry editor.

The Reg keys are:

HKLM\Drivers\Display\GPE\LogicalPixelsX

and

HKLM\Drivers\Display\GPE\LogicalPixelsY

I was wondering whether setting the pixels X to 176, and pixels Y to 220 would make the screen work (in a small part of the screen :-) like a C500, and let TomTom mobile run??

Any Guinea Pigs willing to give it a first try??

Guest xnathanx
Why don't you try xnathanx? Personally I use CoPilot so don't have a problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is copilot working with the C550??

I might try that then.

The only issue with trying it myself first is that my handset is owned by my employer and they take a dim view of me destroying handsets... got through quite a few in the last year! Doh!

Guest xnathanx
If you "destroy" it you can always just hard reset it and your boss need never know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would you hard reset it??

Sorry, a bit new to the Windows Mobile smartphone stuff.

Guest hotphil

Ah, you've caught me there, I'm not sure on the C550 yet - I've had no need to read up/investigate how to hard reset it. On previous Smartphones I've had it's been a combination of powering it up whilst holding the Action or another button down. I do notice in the C550 there's a Clear Storage app in the Accessories folder that I've not had on previous phones. By the look of it, this does the same thing - sets the phone back to out-of-the-box settings. Quite useful if you arse up the phone I guess. Note that all settings are reverted to blank though, so if your company has set up any funky data connections, Exchange passwords etc then you'll need to know these/get friendly with your sys admin.

Guest A.Hughes

you can reset the phone from the accessories menu using an option called clear storage, it resets the phone to factory default, in other words a hard reset, have tried it myself, it works!!!

Guest awarner [MVP]
you can reset the phone from the accessories menu using an option called clear storage, it resets the phone to factory default, in other words a hard reset, have tried it myself, it works!!!

This is one form os resetting but the hardware version power off, power on pressing buttons etc will do a slightly different form of reset so it's best to use both methods.

Guest ElGato65
has anyone tried this yet?  did it fix the problem with tomtom?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried HKLM\Drivers\Display; CxScreen and CyScreen, as the ones you mentioned are both set to 131 on mine, and it wouldn;t let me change either.

Guest removed-2

I too cannot change these values. MY phone is app unlock but I get the message "Unable to perform this operation"

Any ideas anyone?

Guest removed-2

Can anyone offer any assistance on how to change these registry keys. It would be well worth the time if it fixes TomTom until an official patch has been released!!

Guest Shakface

I have tryed this on a friends phone and i can confirm that Tomtom 5 does work if you change the X and Y screen size. Well dont XnathanX

Edited by Shakface

Guest removed-2
I have tryed this on a friends phone and i can confirm that Tomtom 5 does work if you change the X and Y screen size. Well dont XnathanX

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yipee, that is very good news. Was it on a C550 you tried it? and how did you manage to change the registry settings, which regiistry editor did you use, Was the phone unlocked etc...?

Thanks

Guest Shakface
Yipee, that is very good news.  Was it on a C550 you tried it?  and how did you manage to change the registry settings, which regiistry editor did you use, Was the phone unlocked etc...?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes we tried it on a C550 and it works. We used MobileRegistryEditor if thats any good to anyone. But it does mess round with your other screen settings . I used Resco explorer to extract a .reg file and import/reboot when i do not want to use TT5

HTH

• 2 months later...
Guest vimafeje

i had try it to and it's work fine for me!!!!!

i chage the default values (184) for X and Y to 181!!!!!

whith PHM registry!

and tomtom 5 just work 100%

Guest removed-2
A free tool called TTqvga is now available that allows you to run TomTom Mobile 5 on a SP5, C550 and other QVGA smartphones.

See  =>  http://www.MobileNetSwitch.com/TTqvga

TTqvga.png

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know what exactly this changes and is it a better work around than the one already mentioned in this thread.

I do like the idea that it puts your settings back when you exit tomtom, however the constant restarting of the phone is quite frustrating.

Thanks

Mark

Does anyone know what exactly this changes and is it a better work around than the one already mentioned in this thread.

I do like the idea that it puts your settings back when you exit tomtom, however the constant restarting of the phone is quite frustrating.

Thanks

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it's much better then using the phone on the modified and very ugly resolution all the time. Until TomTom comes out with a decent patch, this free tool is working excellent.

The tool modifies the display registry settings to be compatible with TomTom (LogicalPixelsx and LogicalPixelsy keys). As the settings are only effective after a restart of the OS, the phone is restarted. Now TomTom works, but outside TomTom, the display is ugly. Therefore the tool detects when you quit TomTom and asks to restore the display settings. This works just fine for me, when I walk to my car, I start it up, when I exit my car, I exit TomTom. In both situations, the display is at it's best.

Edited by mooman