First pictures of HTC Wizard (QTEK 9100 / Jam 2)

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Grainy photocopied pictures have been emerging over the last week or so of this eagerly anticipated device. Set to build on the success of the HTC Magician (currently selling well as the I-Mate Jam, T-Mobile MDA Compact, Orange SPV M500, etc), the HTC Wizard will apparently build on the concept by adding a sideways sliding QWERTY keypad and wifi along with Windows Mobile 2005.

Finally real pictures are filtering out apparently showing the forthcoming HTC Wizard in the flesh.

A050727_ADA_HTC_WIZA_06_N.JPG

Found in this article at idnes.cz.

More pics of the device in operation, badged as the QTEK 9100 here at www.windowsmobile.no

9100_stor34.jpg

And finally, as pointed out by Beersoft earlier, msmobiles.com has put up the expected specs of the forthcoming device here

EDIT: New video footage of the Qtek 9100 here at www.windowsmobile.no

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Erm. Am I the only one who's noticed the devices in the two pics are of different construction?!

Look at the screens, one with a large screen partly blacked out while the other has the silver body continue right to the screens viewable area... :shock:

Spose it would help if we knew which brand the top photo was being marketed as. Is that a T-Mobile symbol top right?

Guest thelondonthing

The two images are very obviously the same device; the only distinction on the main fascia between the two is the different coloured fascia plate surrounding the screen. Additionally the device with the black fascia plate - which does indeed appear to have a T-Zones symbol on it - has a slightly modified keyboard; the landscape soft keys are positioned directly beneath their onscreen labels, whereas on the QTEK model, the landscape soft keys on the keyboard are positioned and opposite ends of the keyboard itself.

Guest Pondrew

Funnily enough I'd never been bothered about landscape until the last week or so. Then I found Modaco is far easier to read in Pocket Internet Explorer in that mode, and that Windows Media Player with album art looks cooler in landscape! 8)

Guest Pondrew

Oh, and I see what you mean thelondonthing about the softkeys. Think I'm starting to prefer the MDA Compact 2 (assuming this is what T-Mobile will call it)!

Guest Pondrew

At the risk of confusing peeps more then they already are (yes I know, I should stop while I'm behind!), check out this alternative HTC Pocket PC Phone. The article seems to distinguish between them as model 100 and model 200 of the HTC Wizard :shock:

A050727_ADA_HTC_WIZA_01_N.JPG

Again taken from the article at idnes.cz (link as in the 1st post).

Guest tonijj

Well, looks cool, a bit better than the Motorola Q Razr, but then I read the msmobile news which stated that it only has 195Mhz, and Skype demands 400!! Why making a phone where the hardware is not up to today's demand, the rest sounds great, but they gotta get at better processor plugged in there. Maybe the prize goes to the Razr then :)

Guest jonhitch

Only 200MHz processor - that's very poor! I'll be keeping a look out for the HTC Galaxy (same but without the keyboard!)

Thanks all for posting this information - very interesting!

Guest tonijj
OMAP850 195 MHz. must be a typo. surely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not according to msmobiles, they are usually correct and liable. But I hope you're right c&H.

Guest confused and hungover
Not according to msmobiles, they are usually correct and liable. But I hope you're right c&H.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe it's the OMAP195 850mhz....

pre release specs aren't always correct, don't forget orange said the M500 was over a meter long, even one week before UK release...

The TI OMAP 200Mhz processor has been mentioned every time the wizard has been discussed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just seems strange they would release such an advanced device then skimp on the processor speed...

maybe they're doing it just to stop people using skype with that in built WiFi?

Guest tonijj
just seems strange they would release such an advanced device then skimp on the processor speed...

maybe they're doing it just to stop people using skype with that in built WiFi?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That might actually be true, think HTC got a lot of pressure from the carriers not to release any "Skype-friendly" phones, just speculating, but that might have contributed to the weaker processor.

See HERE for processor info. However, they mention in the article that this is an early test device and that the specs and design aren't final!

Edited by tonijj

Guest Pondrew

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With all due respect to msmobiles, they have been wrong before. :)

Guest mupwangle

>>Any idea if/when this might make it onto retail (Orange UK specifically)?

If the M500 is anything to go by - I reckon Autumn 2007.

Guest thelondonthing

Interestingly, it now seems that there are three different versions in total - the 100, 110 and 200. We've seen two of them already in this thread, but the third version - the 110, I believe - does without a camera.

All very confusing.

None of them are particularly attractive though. I have to say, however, that while I'm fairly impressed by the specs of this new handset family - apart from the processor of course - I'm still flabbergasted that we've seen and heard practically nothing about 3G on Windows Mobile handsets. The one and only handset is the SPV M5000/HTC Universal - but it's enormous alongside the petite and stylish 3G handsets being pumped out by the likes of Nokia.

Why bother spitting out an SPV C550 and SPV C600 (and variants) with such similar specs in such close succession - given that the C600 is expected in the next few months - and now the Wizard as well, when Windows' presence in the 3G handset market is non-existent, and looks to be confined to one handset at best well into next year?

Ooh, it gets my goat, it does.

so once we've got the built in wifi and the big processor and the gps and the 3g.... what left will there be to wish for/complain about lack off??

so once we've got the built in wifi and the big processor and the gps and the 3g.... what left will there be to wish for/complain about lack off??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Next version of Bluetooth, next version of WiFi, even faster processor, 32bit high res displays, fast accelerated 3D, longer battery life.

All in a small package. With 8 way joystick. How about analogue control too.

Oh, and cheap to manufacture.

I'm sure that will keep the designers going for a while :)

Guest HerpezP

Interesting thing about the WiFi:

I just took a brief look at the documents on this device from the FCC homepage and found something that caught my attention: Appearently they have also tested "802.11g Mode":

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/bl...tive_or_pdf=pdf

e.g. page 45.

I haven't read the complete document, nor do I have much experience in reading those things, but it seems to have 802.11b/g?

Guest spidermunky

Processor wise I'll be interested to see how the OMAPs work out. I've heard that this processor shifts a lot of the work about to sub processors and so on, making it more efficient. I wouldn't have thought it would be anywhere near as slow as an Intel 200MHz xscale for example. Still, it'll be interesting to find out. I wouldn't give up on it's ability to run Skype just yet.

Styling wise, I must admit to being slightly dissapointed. There have been some really nice looking electronic devices out recently, like the PSP and some of the new Motorola phones, it seems a bit of a shame that they've gone for quite a bland look.

I have a Qtek S100 at the moment an to be honest, the only thing that I think would really improve it, is built in wifi. I really wouldn't want the thumb board if it impacted on the size, and it will make getting decent cases harder.

Hopefully as more info about it comes out I'll begin to get more enthusiastic about it.

Greg

Guest Pondrew
Interesting thing about the WiFi:

I just took a brief look at the documents on this device from the FCC homepage and found something that caught my attention: Appearently they have also tested "802.11g Mode":

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/bl...tive_or_pdf=pdf

e.g. page 45.

I haven't read the complete document, nor do I have much experience in reading those things, but it seems to have 802.11b/g?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well. That document explains the differences between the three models. One without camera, and then two different body styles with. No other differences.

So it'll be similar to the way the HTC Voyager was produced with two shells (one as used in the SPV E200, while the other looked like the older HTC Canary and unfortunately was never marketed here in the UK). The operators are able to decide which of the different housings they want for their device. I'd go with the model in the first post myself (much less plain looking).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.