Texting?

Guest Xenzo1990

Guest Xenzo1990

I've seen people talking about texting issues. Can somebody please explain what the problems are because texting is a big thing to me and it might be a put off.

Guest uzi_999

having got my m500 yet,, but delivery is tomorrow!!!,, but i suppose if you are okay with writing on a pda, it shouldnt be much of a problem.

Guest kev51773
I've seen people talking about texting issues. Can somebody please explain what the problems are because texting is a big thing to me and it might be a put off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only real problem with texting is a bug in the os. If you type a word like dont it will correct it to don't. The only problem is that for some reason the apostrophe it creates costs 70 characters of your text allowance. I presume this problem is not limited to the Magician.

Some people do complain generally about texting, and the lack of T9 as a standard SIP, but I can happily text at 30-40 words per minute using block recogniser. The idea of using T9 when you have a stylus sounds insane to me anyway :)

Guest RazorD
The only real problem with texting is a bug in the os. If you type a word like dont it will correct it to don't. The only problem is that for some reason the apostrophe it creates costs 70 characters of your text allowance. I presume this problem is not limited to the Magician.

Some people do complain generally about texting, and the lack of T9 as a standard SIP, but I can happily text at 30-40 words per minute using block recogniser. The idea of using T9 when you have a stylus sounds insane to me anyway :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Infairness, its "Phone Pad" does use T9, or at least, a version of it... and I've never had the "don't" bug on my M500... and if you turn off unicode, then the apostrophe bug doesnt happen, either ;)

Guest Disco Stu

None for me personally, I don't think, but you'll read elsewhere about the 70-characters-max in an SMS problem when you use symbols.

Guest RazorD
Im new to PPC whats the Phone Pad?

Edit: Newbie question - what is unicode???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as i know (And im sure theres someone out there who can be more technical on this than me :) I've not really paid much attention to character sets!)

Basically, Unicode is a character set which incorporates all kinds of characters, rather than the usual ones you get (like @#!$%$£ etc) this includes all kinds of strange and wonderful math symbols, but also other languages (chinese, etc).. Now, as it has a whole lot more characters in its set, the code for each one is longer than plain basic ASCII, meaning it uses up more space in the code of the text message.

Hope that kinda makes a little sense... if any ;)

Guest kev51773
if you turn off unicode, then the apostrophe bug doesnt happen, either :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you turn off unicode, don't will be received as don?t. The only guaranteed workaround is to turn off the 'replace text as you type' option. Generally you dont want correct grammar in texts anyway. Its just annoying that you cant set this differently for texts and email.

I also suspect that the T9 phonepad isn't part of the extended rom on all Magician Variants. Although again I cant see a use for T9 apart from for people who consider texting while driving to be acceptable.

Guest MitchellO
I don't know what Unicode is, but it does cause problems for some  :?:  :)

PhonePad looks like this :

post-4510-1123096714_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!!! turning off unicode fixed it right away! Typeing "don't" with and apostrophy doesn't screw it up anymore!

Guest kev51773
Thanks!!! turning off unicode fixed it right away! Typeing "don't" with and apostrophy doesn't screw it up anymore!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will appear to solve the problem because you only see the outgoing message.

Try sending the word 'don't' to yourself. It will probably arrive as 'don?t' with unicode turned off. It does for me.

Guest NikLP

Texting on the m500 using the t9 dialler pad is very fast IMO, and does not require the stylus. Very good if you are in a place where you don't want to look a tit or get mugged, ie Nottingham pubs/public transport/streets/my office etc.

I have a question though - it seems very difficult when using the dialler to select a number to text, what is the best way?

Guest Disco Stu

I think NikLP means when you open up a message form with a blank 'To' field.

Selecting a recipient is a pain when you do it that way. As you suggest, startiing off from the contact itself is the easiest way.