26 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Bsc. E.E.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Devices:C500 with WM6.1
Over at Mobile Review they have a complete review of the new Samsung i300 with HDD.

Use this URL Mobile Review

/Jakob

Posted Image

Thanks to Anton Kotov from Mobile-Review..

Having smoking areas in restaurants, is like having peeing areas in swimminpools..

Jakob

Jakob

Bsc. E.E.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Devices:C500 with WM6.1
And as the review shows, hard disc drives in mobile phones are a very long way from daily use.

Remember amperes and watts?

A SD card reading will use ~0,24watt.
A HDD (Toshiba) will use ~1,4watt - thats 5 times more power.

And in standby (disk stopped) the difference is 0,00075watts for the SD and 0,2 watt for the HDD. Thats about 266times more energy.

Solid state is the way ahead.

/Jakob

Over at Mobile Review they have a complete review of the new Samsung i300 with HDD.

Use this URL Mobile Review

/Jakob

Posted Image

Thanks to Anton Kotov from Mobile-Review..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having smoking areas in restaurants, is like having peeing areas in swimminpools..

squall

squall

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Smartphones
on the power thing i think there is a trade off, solid state is powered when the device is on, however i assume disks would only switch on when it was going to be used, and then the info would be saved in the phones own memory so the disk could power down again.

When it comes to things like video and mp3 the disk would have to stay powered so the battery would drop quickly, but as i said a trade off....?

Regards
Ian

agent.m

agent.m

Vario fanatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Interests:hip hop, mobiles, dj/producing,gaming
  • Devices:MDA Compact V aka Diamond 2
was gonna say who do i have to kill for one of these. but maybe i'll put down my sword :|

Kaka

Kaka

Chancer!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Lan Gaming, Smartphones
  • Devices:HTC One, Nexus 7
I dont mind battery life. I Still Want one .. :) ;)

"It Wasn't Me"

tbl

tbl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
It's a bit ugly though to be honest

koifish

koifish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Life Sciences Gilrs Politics Gadgetery Computers WWII History rss/irc Telecom Security Photography Blogs Slashdot Music Arts
  • Devices:SMT5600
design wise i would have expected Samsung to do better, the screen size with large side trim is a definitive turn off for me, as for the joystick i would have to put my finger on it to judge. I second the motion, the future of mobile data storage lies in solid state

Gavin

Gavin

..thugs be illin..

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Devices:Legend, Vega, Blade, GalaxyS2
  • Twitter:@@gav_gall
A 3Gb HDD is cool 8)

But jesus H, it's ugly :?:

HTC Canary > HTC Voyager > HTC Typhoon > HTC Hurricane > HTC Faraday > HTC Wizard > HTC Topaz > HTC Legend

louisg

louisg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i jsut wish they would have a concrete release date.

Will it be out on Orange? will orange have it in testing for months and chamge the software on it?

How much for a upgrade?

Louis

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Shame about the battery life and the tiny tiny screen. I have to say the looks are growing on me though... :)

I still exist

exeweb

exeweb

Grecian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:i-mate Jam

It's a bit ugly though to be honest

I dunno, I think the black one featured in the full review looks pretty good.

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
I hate the screen size and how it's getting swallowed by the body of the phone! Not nice to look at, at all!

-Nick

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
You can get MiniSD cards of 1Gb and SD cards of 4Gb now - so what's the point of a 3Gb HD? Apart from extra weight, more moving parts extra power consumption.....

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Tunney

Tunney

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Devices:C500 & Nokia 6680
I personally like the looks. It looks a lot classier than the C550 next to it.

ricardo the fish

ricardo the fish

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Devices:Touch Pro 2
Agree with Tunney, I like the looks, but why not have the screen the same size as the C550? + power comsuption is somewhat high, but that may improve before it's released (hopefully :) )

Liquidice

Liquidice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8010 (C500/SP3)

You can get MiniSD cards of 1Gb and SD cards of 4Gb now - so what's the point of a 3Gb HD? Apart from extra weight, more moving parts extra power consumption.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but maybe its because of the media...

"WOW! the first phone with a hdd that's awesome, and a 3gb one!!!

while

"wow! the first phone with a 3gb memorycard, but there are allready phones with memorycards and some have a capacity of reading 4gb minisd memorycards when they are invented (C500, C550...)"

doesnt sound as groundbreaking as the first one does it? :roll:

we who know alittle more, we would rather have a 3gb memory card than a 3gb hdd (atleast i do) but i think they want to get to the ppl that likes music alot (and got money) that doesn't know much about SPs, etc...

And thats why I'm wondering if you would be able to change the 3gb hdd to a SD or CF card or any other card that fould fit (altough the warranty wouldnt be valid). Anyone tried this with another product like an Ipod, PPC, anything :)

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Liquidice, 24 August 2005 - 07:08 PM.

PayOnAnswer

PayOnAnswer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500
My first post, so please excuse me if I get anything wrong! This is the most recent thread I can find for the i300 so I guess this is the place to start.

So, as reported on coolsmartphone.com, the i300 is advertised on the O2 Website as being available from October. Having had the C500 from launch, I could get a PAC code from Orange and move over to this phone then.

This phone appeals over the (rumoured) spec of the C600 because of it’s 3GB HDD (I would prefer a smartphone + 3GB miniSD combo, for better battery performance, but I can’t see any signs of this). I use my phone for mobile music/video, and 3GB over the 1GB I have now, would make all the difference in choice of what to listen/watch.

My concerns are battery life, though I’m hoping performance could be improved by using a 256mb Trans flash card & copying say, whole albums from the HDD to flash, before listening to them from the Flash Card.

The lack of Windows Mobile 5.0 is also a dissapointment I guess, though at least all my existing applications will work.

Anyhow, just wondered if everyone else was thinking of going down the same road?

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
POA - As good a place as any to post :o
I still think the HD is a waste of time, too small and to power hungry. I'm sure larger MiniSD cards will become available. I think the C600 would be a bertter bet. But it's horses for courses, I use an iPod for music so I have 2 devices to carry round!

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
Have to agree with Confuscious. For me the i300 will be a failed experiment as long as the device is unable last more then a couple of days...

PayOnAnswer

PayOnAnswer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500
In my heart of heat, I think you're both right. Having said that, I've played the 'experimental' game with phones before (I owned a Canary before the C500 :o) so I'll probably end up getting it anyway. If I do, I'll post a mini review for anyone who might be interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users