Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
I'm sure we'd all be interested, so long as you know what you're doing. Who knows? You might be pleasantly suprised. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Tech

Tech

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Devices:E200 2xC500 SP5m Vario
Q's for ppl worryin about hdd's in this device:

ANY HDD will be on constantly unless the phone is off or on standby. hdd's will use more energy and a more higher change of it being on and off within a matter of minutes as some ppl were suggesting that it would power itself off then switch it back on when activity is about to happen...

:o

Samsung I300 will have Windows Mobile 2003 apperently.... dont understand why no UK network has Windows Mobile 2005!!!

http://www.spapps.co.uk

Visit the Spapps UK Forums!!!
Spapps UK Forums [new]
Spapps UK Forums alternative link
^^^ CLICK ME ^^^

Current Projects:

DAR~ling update tba*
WMP Remote** (need new ideas!!)

TV Remote codenamed meetu (postponed)
mini PC Controller codenamed mawk

PayOnAnswer

PayOnAnswer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500

Q's for ppl worryin about hdd's in this device:

ANY HDD will be on constantly unless the phone is off or on standby. hdd's will use more energy and a more higher change of it being on and off within a matter of minutes as some ppl were suggesting that it would power itself off then switch it back on when activity is about to happen...

:o

Samsung I300 will have Windows Mobile 2003 apperently.... dont understand why no UK network has Windows Mobile 2005!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for being dumb Tech but I'm not sure I completely understand. May I check my understanding?

I assumed that the HDD would be 'off' unless the phone needed to accesss data on the HDD. I also assumed that the O/S and 'default' data stoage would all be on solid state memory. Thus, the HDD would only be 'tuned on' if accessing files (e.g. media files) put on the HDD by the user.

However, are you saying that the HDD will be 'on' (and so using power) whenever the phone is being used, say to write a text message or make a phone call?

Further, if files (say an album folder of mp3 music tracks) were copied in one fall swoop to trans flash using a file explorer, and then 'accessed' (e.g. listened to) from there, would the HDD be used less (and therefore consume less power) then if the tracks were accessed direct from the HDD?

Thanks

Kinch

Kinch

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Devices:i-mate SP5
i-mate SP5 anyone??

i am going for that until a decnt HDD phone comes out.

What you going to do? Stick it to a canvas as a piece depicting a nation of cathode junkies, selling their imaginations for quick-fix media hits from the Blockbuster syringe?
This is the good sh!t ... Wooooo mama
Timmy, fetch me my tools
Oh yeah, i hadnt fort o' dat

Tech

Tech

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
Please see MY answers in the bold! :o

Sorry for being dumb Tech but I'm not sure I completely understand. May I check my understanding?

you are not dumb :(

I assumed that the HDD would be 'off' unless the phone needed to accesss data on the HDD.
nope. Its like your computer hdd. it is never turned off unless you put it on standby or shut it down. If we take your understanding for example, it means the hdd has to power up, then down everytime it needs to write data. This causes the power to be used up more (powering up) and reduces ALOT of lifetime of the component.

I also assumed that the O/S and 'default' data stoage would all be on solid state memory. Thus, the HDD would only be 'tuned on' if accessing files (e.g. media files) put on the HDD by the user.

true, but it depends on the way the manufacturers designed the architecture of the phone. I guess the hdd is there just purely for storage unless they decided to store everything that is on memory to the hdd instead

However, are you saying that the HDD will be 'on' (and so using power) whenever the phone is being used, say to write a text message or make a phone call?
yup :lol:

Further, if files (say an album folder of mp3 music tracks) were copied in one fall swoop to trans flash using a file explorer, and then 'accessed' (e.g. listened to) from there, would the HDD be used less (and therefore consume less power) then if the tracks were accessed direct from the HDD?

Well i guess so but the HDD would still be on in other words, same power used, not less. It's either on (using full power) or off. Sometimes you may be able to reduce the power which means reducing the speed which also means data loss can occur at some points. I do not think it may be possible with such devices on mobile phones but you never know! :P doing so voids the warrenty

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks mate, hope that helps!

Spapps UK Forums [new]
^^^ CLICK ME ^^^

Current Projects:

DAR~ling update tba*
WMP Remote** (need new ideas!!)

TV Remote codenamed meetu (postponed)
mini PC Controller codenamed mawk

PayOnAnswer

PayOnAnswer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500

Please see MY answers in the bold! :o
Thanks mate, hope that helps!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sure does help. Thank you for that.

With the HDD being on all the time, I guess even the standby time could be as bad as some people have feared.

Now if only someone could invent a 3GB (or even a 2GB) mini SD.......

Tech

Tech

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
they are out already i believe. :o you can get a 2GB one in japan apperently

Spapps UK Forums [new]