Orange SPV M500 Review

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy

Review Gone - Sick to bloody death of my photography being stolen for use on eBay - take your own goddamn photos!

Edited by sporkguy

I had one minor problem lately relating to SPB Pocket Plus (the today screen plugin) - I was getting txts back from friends saying I was sending them the same txt twice in a row.. every single time. It turns out that the 'Close Button' functionality of SPB PP (which closes apps instead of minimizing them) was closing the message centre prematurely, and as such, confusing the device into sending the txts twice.

Disabling that particular part of the program has solved that problem :)

FYI - Add tmail.exe to the list of exceptions in the options for the close button and you can still use the functionality whilst not sending multiple messages.

--

rmg.

Guest dan13l
FYI - Add tmail.exe to the list of exceptions in the options for the close button and you can still use the functionality whilst not sending multiple messages.

--

rmg.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now _that_ is a handy tip.

Nice review - the photos make the device look particularly attractive (not that I need convincing, I've already got one!)

Guest sporkguy

thanks a lot guys - this is my first ever proper review of something (usually because I'm months behind everyone else!), so I'm really happy how it came out!

Appreciate all the praising comments, thanks :)

Yes good job, there are still people out there umming and arring about this handset.

Let me reassure you, it's very good.

Few minor gripes about key locking features etc, but otherwise good.

Can't believe all the crap orange puts on comes to TWENTY EIGHT MEG??

BigStorage here I come!

Guest mitman

Excellent Review.

Just one question though, how do you flash the phone to get rid of the orange "stuff"?

Also, are there any dust issues with the phone? I keep the phone in my pocket and was wondering weather to invest in a decent case?

Cheers

Edited by mitman

Guest Xenzo1990
Yes good job, there are still people out there umming and arring about this handset.

Let me reassure you, it's very good.

Few minor gripes about key locking features etc, but otherwise good.

Can't believe all the crap orange puts on comes to TWENTY EIGHT MEG??

BigStorage here I come!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do they put on that takes up 28mb!?

Guest sporkguy

I highly recommend the BigStorage rom-change - it frees up a hell of a lot of space for us to use in other areas.

if you're interested you can find more on http://www.xda-developers.com/ in the forum (there are lots of guides and the rom images are on the ftp - as well as the original apps such as PhonePad etc)

Guest evans.rhys.gavin

hey good review, im due an upgrade next month from my beloved c500 and my minds now made up which to have, thanks for the persuasion :)

Guest hunyango_uk

well i'm due on next month too, and i'm kinda thinking of taking the c550 but it looks like not that much of a change so i probably upgrade m500.

but i'm really conscious about the battery life of every phone i have. so, my question is how's the battery life doing with this sexy beast(m500).

Guest arlangner

i know that this phone is cool ..... i have one BBIIIIIGGGG reservation though....... is it going to lose all and/or any of the data like contacts and dates in the diary (stuff tht is very important to me) if the battery runs flat or it crashes or i have to do a hard reset?

i only ask this because i had the m2000 for a total of two days and lost all the information i put on it...twice....!!!! YES i know i should have backed it up. BUT. it isn't always possible or practical to do back ups everytime you change something especially if you are away from home...

i really want this phone for the cool factor and i am sure that by using this site and the expert/ethutiass information , i will eventually use it to its full ability

so in short mr reviewer.... does it have the same problem as the M2000?

lets hope you can help me make a descision.

Andrew

EDIT : swearing - not big or clever

Edited by Disco Stu

Guest mcwarre
is it going to lose all and/or any of the data like contacts and dates in the diary (stuff tht is very important to me) if the battery runs flat or it crashes or i have to do a hard reset?

That's a two part question.

If you hard reset then it will lose all contacts etc (as will most devices) - suggest sync with outlook to have copies of your contacts.

If it runs out of battery life it will lose everything - suggest use something like sprite backup. Well worth it for the hassle it saves (I just had a replacement C500 delivered this morning and it took less than 5 minutes to restore - less hassle)

Guest flipper

Hi there!

I've had the M500 for 4 days now and I've noticed that the GPRS connection is rather flaky. It will connect once, then I have to go to wireless mode and back again to get it to connect properly. Did you test that in the review?

I like the size of the phone very much, but am not sure about pocket outlook for text messages - it's a bit fiddly. The memory is rather tight (I've only installed 3 or 4 extra programs but I've only got 13 mb left) but I'm nervous of reflashing the ROM. The camera is a bit pants but fine for a few odd snaps.

thanks!

Guest Pabs(Sco)

Great review!!

I am thinking of upgrading in a few months fromt he C500 and this looks interesting. My main concern is the screen, I generaly put my phone in my trouser pocket and some time the same pocket as my car key :eek: but not often.

So basically is the screen well protected? Does the phone come with a carrying case? if so could it fit in a pocket?

Guest chucky.egg

Screen + car keys = ouch

You can get film-type screen protectors if that's something that's likely to happen

The M500 comes with a case with a belt clip, which is actually OK. Was thinking about getting a leather one, but this one is fine.

Guest mitman
Hi there!

I've had the M500 for 4 days now and I've noticed that the GPRS connection is rather flaky. It will connect once, then I have to go to wireless mode and back again to get it to connect properly. Did you test that in the review?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use GPRS quite heavily and have found no problems with it. It may only be your handset.

Guest sporkguy

I'm the same - I've got the employee Orange World package on my account so I use GPRS heavily, and I can't really notice much difference from my 6630 - except obviously the slight speed increase from the 3G.

As someone said before about losing all your data due to hard reset or battery depleting - use Sprite backup and/or Activesync to protect all your important stuff - I've updated my ROM to the bigstorage and then been able to put all my contacts, emails, files etc back on in 10 minutes.

Oh, and the backup battery DOES last for at least 3 days before you can get to a charger to recharge the main battery :)

@ sporkguy

you work for Orange PCS and have your phone on an employee contract .

my question is this ,

my wife is a Phone Trainer with Orange but when she called up to ask for the M500 she was told it aint availible for employees yet , which sucks cause the phone was for me ... we live in SW Scotland , ( AYR ) .

you have any idea why our shop does't have them yet . ( they are not even in the shop yet for regular customers ) let alone staff :)

any light you can shed on the matter would be great .

TIA

b3nny

Guest cabane77
i've already posted how to get bigstorage - would you read the whole thread before posting a question thats already been answered.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry sporkguy :) , guess i missed just that bit. going to xda-developers now to have a look...