MPx220 camera

Guest bydandie

Guest bydandie

OK,

We all know that the MPx220 camera is poor, however I would like to propose that we get our heads together and see what we can do to improve it.

From what I understand, the camera is controlled by software from Arcsoft. This would be borne out from the presence of ArcCallerID, the entries for Arcsoft in the resgistry and a file called amcamera.dll.

So, the questions are as follows:

Has anyone had any experience with Arcsoft in the past?

Can we try using IA's suite of photo software on the MPx220?

Does anyone know anything about the camera in the MPx220 (ie What is the hardware), and is there another WM2003 driver for this camera?

This has to be possible to get right, and may just need a bit of lateral thinking.

As has been said on other forums, the camera is the worst thing about the MPx220.

OK,

We all know that the MPx220 camera is poor, however I would like to propose that we get our heads together and see what we can do to improve it.

As has been said on other forums, the camera is the worst thing about the MPx220.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I the only one who "doesn't" think the MPX camera is rubbish? :) I mess with the setting and find I get acceptable "snaps". Not as good as my daughters new Nokia something or other <spit> - but I put them in Picasa, touch them up (alter light ect) and find them really OK.

They are not that good viewed on the phone - but transferred to computer they are fine......I'd upload one of mine, but not sure how to do that...

Liz

Guest mrslother
Agree with you. Camera is very nice specially with 1.47 ROM. I can get clear and well color balanced photos without any PC processing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My experience is that the phone is acceptable to capture those Oh-My-God-Look-At-That! photos; the events where any picture is better than no picture.

When I first got the phone I really did not expect to use the camera so I was not concerned about the quality at all. If I wanted photos I would use my Canon Digital Rebel. But recently I have found myself in situations where I really want to take a photo so I rely on the mpx220 and am starting to feel the pain of the poor quality.

But more surprising to me is that I have been using the phone to take videos. If you guys think that the camera needs improvement....just TRY to make a (even reasonable) video. Yes, I have tried the so called "High" quality setting.

Can we also attack the video problem while we are at this?

Guest Crobat

Well, i cant say that the camera flash works really well.. it sucks..

So the camera is messing the pics taken at night but i personally think that the camera is OK at daylight..

Guest edhunter

i guys i fond this on surrealnetworks. this settings improve my quality camera a little more

1. run regedit program

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Arcsoft/Camera/

3. Set Contrast value 5 and Brightness value 3

then some values must be adding if there are values then just change it.

4. from menu command new value and pushing dword value name is Saturation value data is 3

5. from menu command new value and pushing dword value name is Hue value data is 5

6. from menu command new value and pushing dword value name is Sharpness value data is 3

7. restart your phone

Guest spectecjr
Well, i cant say that the camera flash works really well.. it sucks..

So the camera is messing the pics taken at night but i personally think that the camera is OK at daylight..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... the flash comes on - and goes off again - either right before or right after the photo is taken. Not during. Which makes it completely pointless.

It's kinda lousy.

Guest Lobojpm

I thought this was the case also, (My flash seemed to go on, then off, then the pic would take)... however, after looking at it further, I'm pretty sure that the timing was ok. The camera "sound" is what comes later. So the sound and the flash don't line up, but the actual picture and the flash do (at least on my phone). The sound fires a couple seconds later. I ended up disabling the sound on mine (registry edit listed on another thread).

So on mine it wasn't the timing of the flash, but just the fact that it really doesn't seem to help at all !! Strange... When you look at it, it seems nice and bright! Yet the camera just doesn't grab much light even with that flash on.

I did try the settings listed here by edhunter, and I do think they helped some though! Guess that will have to do until someone comes out with a 3rd party camera app that better steers that 1.4mp cam...

Cheers,

Lobojpm

Guest poulidis

I will try the registry settings, even though I also think that the solution would be finding another app that controls the camera, which as a fact works just fine on daylight.

Guest bydandie
I also think that the solution would be finding another app that controls the camera, which as a fact works just fine on daylight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't agree more, has anyone got a version of IA's suite from an HTC phone?