Possible Messaging Bug ?

Guest dannyllama

Guest dannyllama

Hi everyone,

When writing an SMS message, if I insert a ' into a message, the available characters drop to 70 in place of 160.

Hope that the attachment explains a little better ?

Is it just my BA ? I am running the latest Qtek ROM, but I have a feeling that it did this with Orange as well. Is anyone else experiencing this ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Dan

post-2249-1124188031_thumb.jpg

Guest dreamweavel

How mad - I had execatly the same happen a couple of days ago and is happening with my BA at the mo... can't work it out, there are no settings anywhere.

I've been using the phone for months with no probs, its just started in the last 2 days

Guest dreamweavel

Just worked out what makes mine do this; if you're lazy and type e.g. "don't" as d-o-n-t so the phone autocorrects to D-O-N-'-T the message length decreases to 70 characters.

If you type it manually i.e. Fn V for the apostrophe then it's ok.

Weird... Def a bug

Guest matt1971

Hi,

If you go into the text account options and uncheck the "use unicode when necessary" option this should resolve the xx/70 limit.

Not sure what unicode actually does - but i can now use "don't" without the available text letters dropping to 70.

Matt

Guest pjh2903
Not sure what unicode actually does - but i can now use "don't" without the available text letters dropping to 70.

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Google search comes up with:

Definitions of Unicode on the Web:

A 16-bit character encoding scheme allowing characters from Western European, Eastern European, Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Urdu, Hindi and all other major world languages, living and dead, to be encoded in a single character set. The Unicode specification also includes standard compression schemes and a wide range of typesetting information required for worldwide locale support.

May explain why we get such a big drop with unicode enabled.