Orange Extended_ROM File list and priority please?

Guest NikLP

I want to install

CV2

JMM

Fonix2.0

SPB GPRS v2.20

To the storage card to save space on the phone its not that they won't run from the storage card but by default they install to the phone.

Guest chucky.egg

CV2 (ClearVue) and Spb GPRS Monitor can not be installed anywhere but the Main Memory because of the way the installation routines for these apps were written.

With CV2 for example you can point it to your SD card, but all it does is stuff everything in \Windows and then put one tiny DLL on the SD card :roll:

I've just done a Hard Reset and rebuilt by hand without installing CV, Fonix or the Java stuff. I don't use them enough to make it worth losing the space for them.

FYI you can get a free PDF reader from adobe.com which you can then install on the Storage Card, which is nice as a training course I've just started uses loads of PDFs...

It does appear to use rather a lot of memory though, but at least it's free and you can uninstall it!

Somebody want to post the GPRS settings CAB? The presumably we can reset and not have the awful Orange apps on the device...

I'll post it when I get back from work (I don't have it here with me).

Hopefully this won't go against any t's & c's, as its something I've created myself (and just sets a load of registry settings).

I'll post it when I get back from work (I don't have it here with me).

Hopefully this won't go against any t's & c's, as its something I've created myself (and just sets a load of registry settings).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah you'll be fine, registry CAB files are no problem - have a feeling I've seen an Orange GPRS settings CAB here before anyway, but not sure...

just for comparison..heres the O2, extended ROM file list taken from my s110 got this week:

Autorun

CAB-ArcsoftMMs-20022-Magician-generic-ENU-08Mar05

Caller_ID_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC13

Config

CV2.41.386_WWE

delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa

JMM101257_WWE_1004

PhonePad_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC12

SmartDialling_Magician_Generic_WWE_RC13

TPDisable

TPEnable

Version.sa

14mb in use from boot after installing the suggested files from a previous post.

16mb in use booting as normal, with no reset trick..

i need to set up GPRS manually regardless.

Orange must have some greedy programs in their list..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest speedflyzz

Hi all, newbie to the forum.

I have done a Hard/Soft reset and it worked great. I have loaded the apps i want but an having trouble finding the app required for IE. It seems to stop me using Skype and syncing my mail by WiFi. :??:

Here is list of apps i have loaded so far:

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Camera_Wizard_Artist_Orangee_WWE_RC18_Customize.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\BTHUSB_PATCH_AKU2.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OEM_Camera-9650_05032301.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\ORUK_WapPush_UAProf_106174.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\USSD_Beep_20050511.CAB

Re: \Extended_ROM\MA_ORUK_Version_UserAgent.CAB

Re: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_ActionE_Connection.CAB

Any help would be great.

Speedflyzz

Hi all, newbie to the forum.

I have done a Hard/Soft reset and it worked great. I have loaded the apps i want but an having trouble finding the app required for IE. It seems to stop me using Skype and syncing my mail by WiFi. :??:

Here is list of apps i have loaded so far:

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Camera_Wizard_Artist_Orangee_WWE_RC18_Customize.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\BTHUSB_PATCH_AKU2.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\OEM_Camera-9650_05032301.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\ORUK_WapPush_UAProf_106174.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\USSD_Beep_20050511.CAB

Re: \Extended_ROM\MA_ORUK_Version_UserAgent.CAB

Re: \Extended_ROM\OrangeUK_ActionE_Connection.CAB

Any help would be great.

Speedflyzz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is why it's not a great idea to mess with the extended rom. Some of the files included are patches to the operating system or to bluetooth. This is why, although I do choose the latest rom for my device, I never interfere with the extended rom included.

Can you tell us in more detail what the problem is? Do you mean internet explorer has disappeared from the list of programs?!

IE is part of the initial OS installed by the device on hard reset. The other apps, in the extended ROM, are ones put there by HTC and Orange to 'supplement' the windows default apps for this particular device/supplier. These ones you can alter, the initial ones you can't.

Hard luck, basically, AFAIK... :o

There are some issues with suppliers crippling devices against Skype anyway, no? It may be something else anyway, like a memory problem? Need more details.

• 1 month later...
Guest raynerda

Many thanks for taking the time to post this information, I was almost going to get rid of my M500 because of lack of memory, I feel that Orange should give you a choice of what apps you do or don't want installed on your own phone.

Thanks again 8)

Many thanks for taking the time to post this information, I was almost going to get rid of my M500 because of lack of memory, I feel that Orange should give you a choice of what apps you do or don't want installed on your own phone.

Thanks again  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankly I'm (pleasantly) surprised this many people have found it useful! I suspect that similar info exists elsewhere but I'm also aware that (IMO) the xda-dev site is crap. I can't even register there as the login thingy seems to not work. At all.

Anyway it's good to be able to put something back in, I've spent many an hour poring over the info on this site (despite it's search engine sucking) and am well happy that I could do something in return.

I'll have to start doing stuff like this on my website, I might even get some clients if I get this many hits!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just performed this great tweak to increase my available dynamic memory but I have noticed one odd thing:

Before the tweak the gprs monitor plugin was estimating 7 hours of battery time when at full charge, but now at full charge it is only estimating 3 hours 50 minutes - seems almost half what it was displaying previously.. Any idea what's happened / has anyone else experienced it?? Surely one of those cab files can't double the battery efficiency can it?!?

Cheers,

dynamo

Guest Pondrew
IE is part of the initial OS installed by the device on hard reset. The other apps, in the extended ROM, are ones put there by HTC and Orange to 'supplement' the windows default apps for this particular device/supplier. These ones you can alter, the initial ones you can't.

Hard luck, basically, AFAIK... :)

There are some issues with suppliers crippling devices against Skype anyway, no? It may be something else anyway, like a memory problem? Need more details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True that IE is part of the rom but some of the cab files in the extended rom actually place shortcut links in the program menu, etc and so are needed.

@dynamo, because the Extended rom isn't by default meant to be user selected there isn't much info on what each item in the extended rom does. People guess but...

I have just performed this great tweak to increase my available dynamic memory but I have noticed one odd thing:

Before the tweak the gprs monitor plugin was estimating 7 hours of battery time when at full charge, but now at full charge it is only estimating 3 hours 50 minutes - seems almost half what it was displaying previously..  Any idea what's happened / has anyone else experienced it??  Surely one of those cab files can't double the battery efficiency can it?!?

Cheers,

dynamo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always end up tapping on the bar and checking the battery percentage, the time estimate seems to be a bit unreliable/misleading :?:

Guest Disco Stu

After the hard/soft routine on my Jam I've got a far healthier memory but seem to have installed all the cabs apart from KSE Truefax and Delete_vdisk.

Surely there is a way to now delete the Extended ROM folder :?:

That's over 9mb itself !

Guest Disco Stu

Oooh no, I'm definitely not going that far.

I was just thinking that the extended ROM folder contains copies of all the cabs (etc) that I've (mostly) installed anyway. As I can see the folder in a file explorer I'd like to change the file properties and delete them all. I have backups on my PC and don't feel I need them on the device itself.

After all, if there is always the option to hard reset again to get them all back. Or am I missing something....?

(Very likely :) )

Guest Pondrew

Hmmm. If I remember right it is possible to clear the Extended Rom so that it's empty but why would you when it's seperate from main storage and hence won't add to your available storage space.

Besides which I'm afraid the Extended Rom once deleted would NOT reappear after a hard reset. Once you've flushed it you've lost everything that was in there, unless of course you store it all somewhere. Of course, another solution is to reinstall your rom update which WILL reinstall everything in the extended rom.

Let's try and make this simple.

There are two ways to do this: the way I have outlined here in my initial posts, which free up memory in the device, but leave the extended rom in place. Remember ROM = Read Only Memory! This means the ExtROM will stay there. You will still be under warranty for the handset though AFAIK.

Other way is to totally reprogram your device, using all the rom burning tools and that cr@p. Can't see the point of it personally, I've never seen the need for the memory anyway, it's not system memory and you can just put a decent SD in it and be done with the thing.

IMO don't bother with the Enormo-rom hack or whatever that thing's called.. :)

Guest Loconinja

This might seem a stupid question, but where do you find the Extended ROM files? I've searched using File Explorer and Resco Explorer, but I can't find them. Thanks!

This might seem a stupid question, but where do you find the Extended ROM files?  I've searched using File Explorer and Resco Explorer, but I can't find them.  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Start at page 1 and read! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest modularcarpet

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all the useful info. I haven't tried it yet, as I use my M500 for my business, so I want to have a few days to tinker with it :) . It definately needs doing though (Stupid Orange ALWAYS crippling their handsets with cak bloated software!!!! There is no way I would backup 40MB of data over GPRS - I'm not that stupid!!!)

Somebody did mention about attaching the GPRS settings CAB, which would be great, as I don't want to install all the Action engine junk.

Anyway back to my original question...

Obviously the first thing is to backup any existing data using Activesync, but one question I have, is that after doing the hard/soft reset trick and restoring your data from the backup file, won't it just install some of these programs again (that we are trying to get rid of) from your backup file?

I ask this, because playing around with file explorer on my M500, I went to Program Files and some of the programs appear to be installed in here.

Many thanks in advance,

Modularcarpet.