First Picture of the Orange SPV c600 ...

Guest SmartphoneFrance

Guest chucky.egg

Wow, that looks really revolutionary!

HTC seem to be copying Nokia - move the buttons around and hey presto, a new model!

Personally, I still wont go back to Smartphone until more apps support QVGA properly.

hmmm

not bad (kinda C500 style).. dont like the way the joystick controller looks but thats a minor

bet it wont have WM2005 :?:

gonna wait for M5000 (launching in november this year)

dunno why HTC are releasing few SPV's in such a short range of time (couple of months)......

Looks good i like i like

Zim

Yeah, saw it yesterday :) Thing is - why not stuff a face-pointing camera in for 3G calls? Perhaps Orange are one of the first to realise the minor problem with video calling...

1) People don't want to see who their calling unless...

a) It's their missus

;) Some receptionist you've got friendly with and "sounds nice"...

Gimme data, gimme quick, but for gawds sake drop the price else I'll be re-mortgaging the house to pay the 3G data bills !

Guest ElGato65

I like it. I prefer the C500 look and feel over the C550, think the Universal is way too big.

I want a SmartPHONE, not a SmartPDA.

Edited by ElGato65

Guest shadamehr

SOMEONE has to ask the question, as I am surprised no one else has already...

Aprt from having WM2005, and NOT having the Media Buttons...

What exactly is so markedly different from this and a C550

PLEASE don't say, "er, that's about it"

I mean come on...

Anyone?

Guest GordonTGopher
Well, if it IS an HTC Tornado (and I'm not so sure, looks totally different to the I-Mate Smartphone 5) then it has wifi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I spoke to Orange about the 600 at the Microsoft technet mobile event today, they checked with a co-worker who has one and it DOESN't have WI-FI :) My only hope is that the device in question was some sort of pre-release version (fingers crossed).

Gordon

Guest Pondrew
I spoke to Orange about the 600 at the Microsoft technet mobile event today, they checked with a co-worker who has one and it DOESN't have WI-FI  :) My only hope is that the device in question was some sort of  pre-release version  (fingers crossed).

Gordon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that's so then I very much doubt this is an HTC Tornado. That's known to have wifi (check out the Imate Smartphone 5). I don't believe Orange would stoop to asking HTC to remove it.

Guest dazza12
If that's so then I very much doubt this is an HTC Tornado. That's known to have wifi (check out the Imate Smartphone 5). I don't believe Orange would stoop to asking HTC to remove it.

Don't be so sure. Orange's stock response when pressed about WiFi problems on the M2000 was that they didn't have their own WiFi network, so therefore didn't support it.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Orange have asked HTC to remove it.

Guest GordonTGopher
So it wouldn't surprise me if Orange have asked HTC to remove it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure I read else where it was an optional module in the Typhoon. The C600 IS the typhoon (according to Orange today).

They did say they have a 3G smartphone due in "the Spring" which will have WIFI.

Gordon

Wifi IS supported on the upcoming M5000 in november

I'd be sure orange would still be releasing WM2003 and WM5 (exception of M5000)

C550 has nothing different: only bigger RAM - faster speed - change of looks and NO WM2005

Guest Pondrew

Views on whether the C550 further advanced the Smartphone field have been discussed elsewhere. Just as axes have been ground(?!) over it's lack of WM5. Lets stay on topic people.

sry matey im just annoyed at my experience esp with the main product not bein in there (OS)...

back on topic...

wouldnt buy C600 - would by another device in the future (or M5000.. wish it were a phone)

if it has WiFi on the C600 then yes i will buy it! but until tis not confirmed... stickin with M5000 for now :)

Guest Pondrew
http://mobile-review.com/pda/review/htc-to...stlook-en.shtml

Well, isn't this the first look of the SPV C600 or am i completely wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my problem too. I don't see that both these devices can be the HTC Tornado. They're too different. (yes I accept the internals may be very similar and one may be based on the other with subtle changes - much like the HTC Canary and HTC Tanager - or the HTC Typhoon and HTC Feeler)

You've also gotta say that just because we know the HTC Tornado in the pics is gonna have wifi doesn't mean this new device will. I personally think it's unlikely to be missing it.

Still, we'll have to wait for the dust to settle and rumours to stop before we can be sure! 8)

Guest shadamehr

Your all gonna yell at me I'm sure...

But I can't believe how DISAPPOINTED reading this thread has me, in the wider sense.

You see, I moved away from my trusty C500, cos there were too many issues with the phone, for me individually, such as crap BT support for file transfer, not even being able to send images from the gallery while viewing them etc etc, the vga camera, and no flash blah blah blah.

Unlike when I ditched the E200, I never made a song and dance about it though, cos I just 'KNEW' that I would be back with the Windows SmartPhone platform in the future.

Except, now I really am not so sure... Having seen the C550, I thought, like a few others, nah, no WM2005, no real new stuff, and the megapixel camera has no flash etc. Lets wait for the C600 - as we know it's just around the corner.

Now, reading this thread, if this IS the C600, then jeez... what was it exactly we were waiting for? Have Orange/HTC learned nothing over these years? The phone is virtually no different, other than WM2005.

The camera is still 1.3 megapixel, in these days of K750i Autofocus 2 megapixel phones (I mean, come on, how long has it been out? And the new nokia replacements to come include FIVE models with 2MP).

There is still no flash, or LED unit on any of them (anyone who yells gimmicky - take my word for it, they DO make certain pictures possible that otherwise wouldn't be, so for certain shots, they are NOT gimmicky). All other phones have them now, so why so not THESE for Pete's sake?

Finally, back to the more technical stuff. If this is the C600 that was meant to have wi-fi, and now doesn't, shame on you Orange. Also, if this is the C600 that 'might' have 3G, then an even bigger shame on you HTC.

Because rail about it as much as you like, it simply means they are no better than Nokia, who were absolutely derided for thier own first 3G phone that didn't have a forward facing camera for video calls.

Make no mistake, as a Nokia 6680 owner now, I am lucky if I make a video call once a month. But if my phone didn't have a front camera, then this would be zero a month, and the choice should be OURS, not HTC's.

Nokia were slated for a 3G phone that at least did not give you the CHOICE of video calling (they eventually brought a desktop stand camera unit out to try and appease the huge amounts of complaints - I mean come on, how little a solution is that).

So HTC have learned NOTHING from that mistake of a year and a half ago of Nokia, and done the same if this IS a 3G phone. IF being the operative word.

No, sorry guys, feel free to yell at me if you don't think my post is reasoned or well thought out (I assure you I've tried to keep it so). But I am sooooooo disappointed now, and really don't see me getting back to the MS SmartPhone platform any time soon at this rate.

(As an aside, some of the pocket pc sized HTC devices DO offer a raft of features I admit, but why aren't we seeing these in a SmartPhone unit as hinted at - I don't want to carry a slab around with me thank you very much - I am a home user, not a business user, and my 6680 is already bigger than I prefer).

Cheers all. Feel free to chip in, or yell at me for being anti-ms etc. Trust me I'm not - I really thought I would make it back. It's just that seeing all this has left me highly disallusioned and disappointed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.