Removing c500 fascia WITHOUT voiding warranty!

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1

Well, as I was a bit bored during an install tonight, and after putting my mpx220 back together I thought I'd see if this was possible and...

it is!

Remove the ariel cover, remove the 2 screws at the top of the frame, the 2 at the bottom and the small philips under the bluetooth sticker, prise the fascia away and hinge on the keypad ribbon side, when hinged open remove the 4 philips holding the keypad and your fascia's off and your warranty sticker is intact. Wear gloves ( unlike me) and no-one need know you've ever been inside....

Now gotta clean the prints off and re-assemble...

anything else you guys want to see in bits? done my m2000, mpx200, mpx220, c500...I know! My M500!........maybe tomorrow night....?...

Richard

post-145647-1126577569_thumb.jpg

post-145647-1126577710_thumb.jpg

what does the screw under the void sticker hold ?

can we have more pic's but in focus this time, I would like to strip my phone without damaging the void sticker has I have loads of dust under the screen

thanks

Guest fluffcat1
what does the screw under the void sticker hold ?

can we have more pic's but in focus this time,  I would like to strip my phone without damaging the void sticker has I have loads of dust under the screen

thanks

Sorry, can't get in focus AND close up with this camera. Try and get the service manual from www.spv-developers.com or google for it - the screw under the void sticker holds the board to the chassis.

Richard

Guest Newchurch

Hey, very interesting :o

He´s right, there are only four screws in the front cover, the two unter the antenna cover and the two screws near the battery cover button.

It´s the same for C550 (checked a C550 ans a C500 front cover, only four screws).

Greetings, Newchurch

Hello all. I'm a long time lurker of this forum, and this has prompted me make my first post.

I've had a C500 for 8 months and have slowly watched the dust build up, to the point where it's really annoying - especially outdoors. I've been toying with sending it back to HTC, but after reading about others recent experiences with HTC, I was worried about being charged for it as it's got a few bashes etc and thought they might claim they dust is due to damage. Didn't want to open the case myself though and void the warranty.

This post was fantastic news for me though, many thanks. My phone is now as dust free as the day it arrived. Took about 30 minutes - most of that was trying to get the bl**dy aerial cover off though, easy though once you realise which way to pull & push. Reckon I can easily do it in under 10 minutes in future.

So for all those wondering about this, go on - have a go. Worked a treat for me.

Many thanks to fluffcat1/Richard

Steve

Guest fluffcat1
Wouldn't mind having a go at this... but whats the aerial cover?

When I take the battery out I see 3 screws - they all have to come out right?

Nope, only 2 of the 3 you can currently see need to be removed. The ariel cover is the bit at the top on the back of the phone - there's another 2 under there, and there's one under the sticker under the minisd card, that holds the keypad in that needs removing.

Richard

Guest BanziBarn
Nope, only 2 of the 3 you can currently see need to be removed. The ariel cover is the bit at the top on the back of the phone - there's another 2 under there, and there's one under the sticker under the minisd card, that holds the keypad in that needs removing.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it the bottom two I need to remove? :o

Edit: I've read the first post again and its answered my question :(

Edited by BanziBarn

Guest Wombleuk
most of that was trying to get the bl**dy aerial cover off though, easy though once you realise which way to pull & push.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So which way DO you pull & push Steve ?

thanks,

Graham

Guest BanziBarn
So which way DO you pull & push Steve ?

thanks,

Graham

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just logged on to ask the same question!

Also, what size screwdriver heads am I after??

Edited by BanziBarn

The aerial cover has 2 lugs that hook by the power button and IR and 2 spring legs at the end nearest the battery.

Refer to the pinned dis-assembly instructions for some pictures

What I didn't realise was the direction the cover came off.

1. Lay phone face down

2. Release one spring catch on aerial cover, by inserting a flat bladed screwdriver at approx 30 deg to horizontal and pushing the spring leg TOWARDS the power button/IR. (I used a 1.2mm jewellers screw driver, reckon that anything that fits through the hole would do though) Pull that side of the aerial cover UPWARDS i.e. the opposite direction from keypad, NOT towards the power button/IR, until the clip is released. If you look through the 2 small holes from the battery compartment side with a torch, you can make out the position of the spring legs, they're black.

3. Repeat for other clip.

4. Rotate aerial cover around top edge of chassis to release lugs

Oh, and to seperate the front cover from the chassis after the screws were removed - I used a tesco clubcard, just the job.

Hope that helps

Steve

Well I did it nice and clean

I took the plunge and stripped my spv c500 just to help those who are thinking of doing the same it’s not that difficult the hardest thing is the top part of the phone that covers the Arial.

I’ve added some photo’s hope they help

Nice clean screen mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

just a note to thank fluffcat1 for the original thread

post-100170-1126824308_thumb.jpgpost-100170-1126824344_thumb.jpg

Well I’ve got to say I’m amazed at the lack of interest in this post.

fluffcat1 has gone to all the trouble of giving people a detail description of how to dismantle your phone without voiding the warranty.

This enables you to clean the screen and I get the impression from the replies about 2 or 3 people have give it a go so far.

The main reason I’m amazed is that on this forum under (ORANGE SPV C500 DUST ISSUE) there has been so far 292 replies 22,360 views on this issue, in other words lots and lots of dust.

Done mine, thanks for the tip. Quite difficult to get rid of the dust in a normal room though. I used a compressed air spray and a soft glasses-cloth but there are still odd specs.

Guest mupwangle

You are a very clever person.

I stripped my C500 ages ago and ripped the crap out of the top part of the silver case as someone had said to use a small screwdriver on the lip beside the power button. It came off but made a mess.

Just tried that on another c500 and it was a doddle.

Guest BanziBarn

Thats it! I got on the case (and in it yes :o ) and I now have a dust free phone! Well happy. Only took 5 mins, very easy to do.

Bought a set of mobile phone screw drivers. Broke one getting the aerial cover off, but its not one I'd use for anything else - used a paperclip to get the cover off instead.

Its very easy and the tesco clubcard worked a treat!! Only had paper towel to wipe the inside so still a few specs but it dosn't matter now I know how to take the thing apart.

Very pleased. 8)

Guest BanziBarn
keep up the good work! must be loads of you out there just itching to have a go. Well what's stopping you .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I'm by no means a DIY wiz (still prefer my dad to come round when I want to drill holes in my wall etc :o ) but this really is very easy. All I'd say is be gentle and defo use a credit card to take to top off, if you try and pull it from one point I reckon it might snap. Also, on the side where the keyboard is attached, if you use force you'd proably rip the ribbon off.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Griff_FFOC

Nice guide there, sounds a doddle, but don't want to risk marking the phone.

I've got a dicky number 9 key on my phone, it won't work with normal pressure like the other keys do, and needs to be pressed really hard to get it to work.

If I use this guide to strip the cover off, is it easy enough to get at the front buttons, and possibly fix the problem?