Removing c500 fascia WITHOUT voiding warranty!

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1
Nice guide there, sounds a doddle, but don't want to risk marking the phone.

I've got a dicky number 9 key on my phone, it won't work with normal pressure like the other keys do, and needs to be pressed really hard to get it to work.

If I use this guide to strip the cover off, is it easy enough to get at the front buttons,  and possibly fix the problem?

The metal contact disc sounds like it needs replacing - they lose their 'springyness' and need either bending gently back into domed shape or replacing. Do you have another phone keypad you could use as a donor?

It's easy to do, removed keypad, peel back sticky backed plastic, remove disc for relevant key, bend into shape or replace, check location of disc on keypad, refit sticky backed plastic, rebuild phone.

Richard

Guest okokokok
Well, as I was a bit bored during an install tonight, and after putting my mpx220 back together I thought I'd see if this was possible and...

it is!

Remove the ariel cover, remove the 2 screws at the top of the frame, the 2 at the bottom and the small philips under the bluetooth sticker, prise the fascia away and hinge on the keypad ribbon side, when hinged open remove the 4 philips holding the keypad and your fascia's off and your warranty sticker is intact. Wear gloves ( unlike me) and no-one need know you've ever been inside....

Now gotta clean the prints off and re-assemble...

anything else you guys want to see in bits? done my m2000, mpx200, mpx220, c500...I know! My M500!........maybe tomorrow night....?...

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome find my good man!!! Somebody please pin this!

:idea:

ive tried this, but im getting stuck when i come to removing the actual front. i seem to be ripping the black fascia away from the chassis and not bringin the front chassis with me.

where am i going wrong? my front seems tight, do i have to unclip the screen or anything? it feels like its catching on something.

Guest Griff_FFOC
The metal contact disc sounds like it needs replacing - they lose their 'springyness' and need either bending gently back into domed shape or replacing. Do you have another phone keypad you could use as a donor?

It's easy to do, removed keypad, peel back sticky backed plastic, remove disc for relevant key, bend into shape or replace, check location of disc on keypad, refit sticky backed plastic, rebuild phone.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ended up sending it back to HTC again (first time was for dust) for them to sort it out. It's still got 2 months left on the warranty, so aside from it being an inconvenience, i'd rather they open it and fix it. Once the warranty is out then that's different and the screwdrivers will be out. ;)

Guest fluffcat1
I ended up sending it back to HTC again (first time was for dust) for them to sort it out.  It's still got 2 months left on the warranty, so aside from it being an inconvenience, i'd rather they open it and fix it.  Once the warranty is out then that's different and the screwdrivers will be out.  :D

I completley agree. Why bodge it yourself when you can send it to the professional bodgers ;) Rant here. To be fair, they are correcting the issues. Still without the phone though.

Richard

• 2 months later...
Guest skyrine
Well, as I was a bit bored during an install tonight, and after putting my mpx220 back together I thought I'd see if this was possible and...

it is!

A big thanks for this, the dust has been sending me mad.

thanks 'Stevo C' as well for the additional ariel cover info.

Guest bills1974

Just want to say thanks, I have an SMT5600 and the dust was driving me absolutely crazy. This procedure worked fantastic...don't know why HTC didn't put a rubber gasket around the outer edge, I was in awe at the amount of dust built up in the entire phone...Now that I know how easy it is to get all the black pieces off, I may get some high gloss white spray paint and give it that white and silver "iPod" look... ;)

Guest fluffcat1
don't know why HTC didn't put a rubber gasket around the outer edge

Later production phones do have a seal, but if yours doesn't double folded double sided tape does quite nicely to stop the dust.

Now that I know how easy it is to get all the black pieces off, I may get some high gloss white spray paint and give it that white and silver "iPod" look...  ;)

Many people have suggested it, I'd love to see one! I've seen a chromed front on a german site that looked sweet.

Richard

Guest kahchong

Very grateful for the instructions on the disassembly of the c500.

I cracked my front screen recently, got another set of covers for £18 off ebay.co.uk and read http://www.digimission.com/?page_id=25 as well as this thread. Thanks to the info, I was able change the front cover. It'll keep my phone going for another year.

It took me 30min to change over and the fiddly bit was removing the aerial cover at the back. Hint. when you think you are not getting anywhere just push the tabs a little harder, the cover will pop up with a little upward pressure.

Another hint is to ensure the bits of metal that separates the rows of keys are shaped convex. It can get bent concave, causing the joypad to stick.

Cheers

I'm loving the ability to take everything off without voiding the warranty! I've havn't experienced dust issues yet but if I do I'll be prepared. (I'm also loving the idea of having a 'polished edition' - it's 1 way of removing the orange symbol (made redundant by my vodafone sim card)).

Stank you smelly much!

• 1 month later...

I'm about to have a go at this and, looking through these instructions, one step 'frightens' me a little. Is it easy to separate the front fascia (black) from the body of the phone (silver) once all the necessary screws have been removed?

I'm intending to replace the fascia with one I've got hold of, and there appear to be lots of metal tabs attached to black fascia which, I guess, engage with the silver body. How exactly do I lever/pull the fascia/body apart without causing any damage.

Can anyone advise. Thanks , Matt

Guest BanziBarn
I'm about to have a go at this and, looking through these instructions, one step 'frightens' me a little. Is it easy to separate the front fascia (black) from the body of the phone (silver) once all the necessary screws have been removed?

I'm intending to replace the fascia with one I've got hold of, and there appear to be lots of metal tabs attached to black fascia which, I guess, engage with the silver body.  How exactly do I lever/pull the fascia/body apart without causing any damage.

Can anyone advise. Thanks , Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get a credit card, and stick the corner of the card in-between the facia and phone on the bottom right hand corner of the device.

Then, simply slide the card up the side of the phone and the facia will come off from that side. Once off, the other side comes off easily by just gently pulling. :)

Guest fluffcat1
>

No. Read the methods, write down the tools listed, and go to a *decent* hardware or electronics store - the screws are also used in Nokias and other brands so the screwdrivers are fairly common.

Richard

Ok. I had a go at this procedure (in an attempt to replace the front fascia on my C500) but I had to abandon the job halfway through. Fortunately, the reassembled phone still works fine after all the pulling and tugging (but I was very worried it wouldn't.)

When I tried to prise the fascia (black) from body (silver) of the phone, it was clear that the LCD screen was attached in some way to the back of the fascia. There was no way I could pull the fascia/body fully apart without damaging the connections between the LCD and the circuit board, especially with so little room to work in between a 'slightly separated' fascia and body. (BTW I've not had any problems with dust on the LCD which I guess is due to the seal & the attachment of the LCD to the fascia.)

Is my only option now to send the phone to HTC for a proper repair job? Anyone know how they'll manage to separate the components safely when the LSD is attached to the fascia like this?

Thanks

Matt

Guest fluffcat1
When I tried to prise the fascia (black) from body (silver) of the phone, it was clear that the LCD screen was attached in some way to the back of the fascia. There was no way I could pull the fascia/body fully apart without damaging the connections between the LCD and the circuit board, especially with so little room to work in between a 'slightly separated' fascia and body. (BTW I've not had any problems with dust on the LCD which I guess is due to the seal & the attachment of the LCD to the fascia.)

Is my only option now to send the phone to HTC for a proper repair job? Anyone know how they'll manage to separate the components safely when the LSD is attached to the fascia like this?

Thanks

Matt

The LCD isn't attached with anything stronger than double sided foam tape and wedged in, use a knife to prise the plastic edge free and the screen will come away.

Richard

Guest BanziBarn

Yes, you do have to be carfuly not to break the connectors, thats why you should slide the credit card up the right side of the phone. Once thats dissconected I found the other side (which has the connecting ribbon) easy to get off - as far as I remember I just opened the facia like a door and the other side popped off.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest LHBALESJR
Please don't cross post or double post. Might be better to continue in the topic you started:

http://www.modaco.com/dust_behind_screen-t238205.html

Richard

Has anyone here sucessfully done this with a Cingular 2125 (with the hump)? I have read these posts over and over and am having a very difficult time removing the antenna cover. I've got a bad scratch on the silver fascia or front of the phone and need to remove the back cover. I was planning on using some model paint to repaint the silver portion of the phone. The scratch is just at the point on the antenna hump where the silver part meets the antenna cover. I can get one side started, but it feels like something else is holding it in place. On my phone, the little opening just to the left of the battery connector is very small. I'm wondering if the antenna cover on the 2125 might be held in place differenty than models without the hump.

I would like to buy a new complete housing for this phone, but can't seem to find one anywhere. I've seen Fluffcats's Ebay listing, but that housing wouldn't match up with my phone since it has the hump. I'm concerned about my reception if I were to remove that oversized antenna trying to fit it into a C600 housing. I called Cingular, who referred me to HTC who referred me back to Cingular. It looks like no one will sell parts for this phone. I had resigned myself to having to paint it, but I can't even get the antenna cover off. In the process of trying, I seemed to have done something to keep the antenna cover from closing back completely. Now it kind of sticks up on the left side. Any help would be appreciated.

*I've attached a picture that shows those two openings. Notice how small the opening is to the left of the battery connector. I'm afraid I'm going to damage something trying to get that antenna cover off.

post-200784-1172551250_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
Guest whydah appeal

I know it's a long time since this post was started, and added to for that matter, but I just cleaned my c500 and its worked great!

many thanks!