MPX 230

Guest aufgang

I recently ordered an MPX 220 from ebay. much to my suprise when i recieved it this morning, I discovered that it was not an MPX 220 -- it wass an MPX 230! The faceplace said MPX 220 but the embossed text at the top edge of the phone said MPX230. I first noticed something was weird when I tried to plug in my mini-SD card and it wouldnt fit!!!! the MPX 230 uses T-flash instead.

A bid of googling later i found out that the MPX 230 is a model that was cancelled before it was ever released (see http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050415A5021.html ) I have no idea how the ebay seller got their hannds on it.

Apparently other than using T-flash instead of Mini-SD, the main difference betwen the 220 and the 230 is that the 230 supports EDGE, which is pretty cool.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this phone? there's extremely little information on the web about it. One concern I have is can I flash the phone with one of the newer MPX220 roms? if i do that, will the EDGE support disappear? Does that mean I hjave to chose between keeping my rom version the same forever or having EDGE support?

Also, i already have a 1 gig mini SD, so i dont want to have to go out and spend money on a t-flash instead.

On the one hand it looks like I lucked out by getting a rare enhanced version of the phone I thought I was getting but in on the other hand I am tempted to return or resell it. Are there any smartphone geeks out there who would be willing to pay extra for the 230?

I can post some pics of the phone if anyone is interested or doesnt believe me. :o

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Post some pictures, and post the Manufactuer version. I do not think a MPx 220 ROM will work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

here's some pix. As you can see, it looks like an ordinary MPX220 except for the expansion slot and hte text at the top.

I'll get back to you with the manufacture version.

MPX_230.zip

Post some pictures, and post the Manufactuer version. I do not think a MPx 220 ROM will work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the Info from the about page:

Processor: ARMV4 OMAP1611

Rom update versions:

Operator: 0.50.7003.0

Manufacturer: 0.245.0.0

Microsoft: 4.21.14132.0

Language: 0.245.0.0

File System: 4.21.14132.0

Also, i've got a few more images in case you're interested...

MPX_230.zip

I've read a suggestion on another board that the MPX220 was marketed in some parts of Asia as the MPX230 but don't know if that's true. There weren't any references to different hardware.

Guest awarner [MVP]

I would definately not atempt to flash with a 220 rom, as there are hardware changes the storage card may stop working, but you could kill the phone.

Nice phone to have for a collection as such, how much did it cost you?

Guest fluffcat1
Are there any smartphone geeks out there who would be willing to pay extra for the 230?

I can post some pics of the phone if anyone is interested or doesnt believe me. :o

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I'm not a geek, honest...

but I'd swop my mpx220 and some star trek dvds for it ... :(

Richard

( compal ar11, SPV x 3, e100, e200 x2, c500 x5, c550, mpx200 x2, mpx220, voq )

( the multiples of some handsets are running different firmwares / o.s's - so there. just having multiples would be REALLY sad... :oops:

nt a geek but how much u wnt 4 it? reasonably

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be willing to sell it for $250 plus shipping. I only have the phone, battery and a travel charger; this phone did not come in the box and so does not have the other accesories or a manual.

I also feel compelled to warn any interested buyer that the rom currently installed on the phone is a bit glitchy (i had a couple freeze-ups yesterday, but that seems to have cleared up with a good overnight charge... i only recieved the phone yesterday and the battery was pretty low). And as has been discussed above, we can't be sure if it's possible or reccomendable to flash the ROM with a newer MPX 220 one. (Actually, I also don't know if the ROM version on the phone currently is the same one it shipped with. for all I know a previous owner may have already tried to flash it)

So what I'm saying is I would only reccomend buying it if you are interested in it as a collectors item or curiosity, or if you are some kind of smartphone hacker looking for an unusual toy to muck around with. (I get the impression there's a few of you out there on this forum). Or if you just love the MPX220 so much and are just dying to have EDGE support that you dont care about anything else.

Again, if no one wants to buy it I will push for a refund from the ebay seller so it doesn't make a big difference to me.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nimski62

I have an MPX230 too.. i got mine from a motorola developer (my uncle).. he just gave it to me saying they werent going to release it.. it was working and everything.. i didnt knwo a thing about it till now.. mine has a tflash slot and everythign, but when i got the phone, the battery would not last more than 5 hrs on a full charge (standby).. so, i decided to try and flash it with a mpx 220 flash, and now my phones tflash slot dosnt work (plus watever else that the 230 had that the 220 dont), AND my battery still does the same thing.. so, i am looking for a flash from the 230.. if anyone knows anthign, please help. Thanks

• 1 year later...