New Sprint PPC 6700 - WM5 Pocket PC Phone

Guest Pondrew

Having just received the latest Windows Mobile News September newsletter I was interested to see the arrival of the first ever Windows Mobile 5 device proudly proclaimed. Not so strange you may say, as many of you have already had your I-Mate Jasjars or T-Mobile MDA Pros for a week or so. But what is strange is that the device referred to isn't an HTC Universal at all!

Introducing the new Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC Phone, the Sprint PPC 6700!

wow-ppc6700.jpg

Another Pocket PC Phone from HTC, although Engadget suggest here that this is the eagerly anticipated HTC Wizard, I would tend to side with other sources (www.windowsfordevices.com or www.eweek.com) who identify this is as the CDMA phone the HTC Apache that has been rumoured to be coming for a while. Seems the North American provider Sprint has been the first to get the device onto the market, having released the device for business customers on 19th Sept (see their website listing here).

ppc6700Specs.jpg

Operating System: Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition

Form Factor: Candy bar with sliding QWERTY keyboard

Dimensions: 4.25" x 2.3" x 1.0"

Weight: 6.07 ounces

Power: Intel PXA 270 416 MHz Processor

Memory: 64 MB RAM; 128 MB Flash ROM

Digital Dual-band CDMA (800/1900 MHz) and 1x-EVDO

Screen: 240x320 Pixel TFT Touch Screen supporting over 65K colors

The features list includes Persistent storage (no lost data); Bluetooth; Wi-fi; MiniSD card storage; and a 1.3 megapixel camera. This along with EVDO which, where available, will apparently allow speeds up to 400-700 kbps, and peak speeds up to 2.0 Mbps when downloading content. Unfortunately, as neither EVDO nor CDMA is available here in Europe, for now this is just for the enjoyment of our North American members.

Source: Review by Suzanne Ross at www.microsoft.com

To subscribe to the Microsoft Windows Mobile Newsletter visit here

Guest SinisterJunkie

This looks really nice, but I'm surprised that they have a camera in a "Business" device. Maybe they will release a non-camera version for those of us who can't carry a camera phone at our jobs.

This looks really nice, but I'm surprised that they have a camera in a "Business" device.  Maybe they will release a non-camera version for those of us who can't carry a camera phone at our jobs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the camera even has a flash. Is that a first for an HTC Smartphone/Pocket PC Phone?

Guest mupwangle

>>basically almost same specs as M5000 but better looking

And dramatically smaller.

I think you're right, Pond, about it being the Apache. There was some stuff flying around about FCC approval and stuff for a CDMA equivalent of the Wizard. Biggest hint is the antenna.

Bit odd that this is using the intel chip rather than the OMAP...

Isn't this the CDMA version of the K-Jam?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess it's the closest thing to a CDMA HTC Wizard (the K-Jam is an HTC Wizard).

Must say the spec is very different though (processor, etc)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.