PLEASE Help - Which ROM for a "real" QTEK 8080 ?

Guest ginosergio

Guest ginosergio

I'm a happy owner of an Orange version, it has "Orange" and "SPV" and "E200" marks on the front cover. Then a friend of mine bought the same phone on Ebay from an Italian vendor (yes, we are in Italy).

But his phone has "QTEK" and "8080" marks on the front cover. But this is not a great problem.......

My Operator ROM is Orange 2.7.5.1, and my friend's one is 1.7.10.2, so it seems a lot older. My Orange ROM seems faster, and it also has different "utilities" that his ROM does not have.

So here is the question: can I load the same ROM, Orange 2.7.5.1, on his QTEK ?? Or you can't mix things, IE: an Orange phone should have only Orange ROM, an Imate should load only Imate ROMs, etc etc ??

Thank You for your help !

Sergio

Edited by ginosergio

The easiest way of unlocking the HTC Voyager to any rom designed for it is to use www.imei-check.com which allows any rom update to install unedited.

It costs £20 though

Guest ginosergio

Sorry Pondrew.... your post don't answer to my question....

So:

Qtek 8080 accepts only Qtek Roms ?

And Orange SVP E200 accepts only Orange Roms ?

And O2 Xphone accepts only O2 roms, and so on ?

Or there is some other coupling possibility ??

Or there is a way to patch a Rom, in such a way it becomes good for any phone ?

Thank You

Sergio

I think it does answer the question:-

'unlocking the HTC Voyager to any rom designed for it is to use'

'which allows any rom update to install unedited'

The E200 and 8080 are both HTC Voyager phones.

Guest ginosergio

Thanks James....

I know, that often there are 2 answers for the same question, the "official" one and the "unofficial" one.

You, as moderator (and Pondrew, too), obviously have to give the first one.

Changing a ROM may have legal issues (It's hard to tell for my friend's phone, since we bought it in Italy, but it is not officially imported, we don't know where it comes from, and it does not have an italian operator rom)... but I think that buying an unlock code from imei-check is not more legal that changing a ROM by-yourself, if you can.

Thanks anyway

Sergio

Edited by ginosergio

Ok. Think you're reading more into our posts then was there. I was giving you the ONLY way of installing a different rom onto a Smartphone device that I myself knew of. And James was trying to point out the answers to your questions when you seemed not to see them.

If it helps, u already know HTC ship their devices branded (Qtek, Orange, etc). A branded device will only accept a rom from that brand and even then only if the rom has the same country code.

I should point out that your Orange having a version number beginning 2.x as opposed to your Qtek 1.x means nothing as different brand rom version numbers are independant of each other. In theory a 1.x rom could be far newer and better then a 2.x rom from someone else, just depends which was released more recently. In this case I can't tell you which rom is better but I've never had any problems with my Orange SPV E200.

To reiterate. A Qtek 8080 will only normally run a Qtek 8080 rom. An Orange SPV E200 will only normally run an Orange SPV E200 rom. There is no 'coupling' that I know of (not sure what you mean) but that it is possible to install a different branded rom once the device is unlocked per my original post.

Guest ginosergio

Pondrew, I didn't know that differend brands use completely different numbering systems on their ROMs. As you say, QTEK Roms seems to be always 1.xx while Orange are always 2.xx for example. I discovered this also, on a french smartphone site that lists all the roms for HTC Voyager, from all operators / brands.

I was trying with my questions, to know if there is some rule on mixing brands with ROMs (I said "coupling" but maybe this was not the right word, I'm italian...).

To make it clear, you know: if you have a "PC" you can probably install any version of Windows, but if you have a MAC, you can't !

So I was puzzled by this question.... if QTEK 8080 is the same hardware as SPV E200, why they shouldn't both accept the same ROM ?

I think that probably in this phone (and others) there is something "deeper" or hidden, that may block your attempts (to load another brand's rom) even if that is a "low level" activity. Going back to PCs, if you boot with a floppy, and ask "Format C:", nothing can block you... (I think)

Anyway, thanks again for you help. After explaining to my friend that this thing probably voids his warranty, I've tried to load Orange 2.7.5.1 Rom, and all went fine. 5/6 minutes and his phone rebooted with the new ROM.

So, for anyone interested:

ROM Orange 2.7.5.1 loaded on QTEK 8080, ROM 1.7.10.2 >>> OK !

Regards

Sergio

...I think that probably in this phone (and others) there is something "deeper" or hidden, that may block your attempts (to load another brand's rom) even if that is a "low level" activity. Going back to PCs, if you boot with a floppy, and ask "Format C:", nothing can block you... (I think)

Anyway, thanks again for you help. After explaining to my friend that this thing probably voids his warranty, I've tried to load Orange 2.7.5.1 Rom, and all went fine. 5/6 minutes and his phone rebooted with the new ROM.

Regards

Sergio

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely right that something usually blocks the update. The info I have is that a rom update is designed to check for both an ID code that specifies the Brand (ie Orange) and an ID code that specifies the country of origin. If it doesn't get the code it wants it won't flash the new rom. The reason www.imei-check.com opens the device for any rom (QTEK, Orange, etc) is because it apparently sets these codes to the manufactuers default (a HTC unbranded code if you will) which will allow any update for the device to install. This at the same time as it sim unlocks the 'phone

The fact your friends Qtek accepted the Orange rom without problems suggests it had almost certainly been unlocked before, either that or Qtek don't have the same brand lock. Did you run the update from the bootloader screen (three colour screen reached by holding camera button and pressing power) or just with the device running as usual?

Guest ginosergio

The update was done from the bootloader (3 colors) screen, following the suggestions I've found here in your forum.

After the update the phone remained sim-unlocked, as before. My voyager also came sim-unlocked from Swiss, where I bought it, and it had the same rom. But as you say, now I think that sim-lock also don't depends only from ROM.

regards

Sergio