Instant Messenger App using VideoCam?

Guest JampoTT

Does anyone know of anything in development? Something that'll allow MSN to be used with the 3G / Video functions?

MSN on a PC is great, as you can hookup a webcam.

MSN on an SPV is good because you can be on the move...

But I'm hoping MSN on a 3G Videophone like the Universal will combine the best of both worlds...

Any news?

Does anyone know of anything in development? Something that'll allow MSN to be used with the 3G / Video functions?

MSN on a PC is great, as you can hookup a webcam.

MSN on an SPV is good because you can be on the move...

But I'm hoping MSN on a 3G Videophone like the Universal will combine the best of both worlds...

Any news?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This will be a great development, and for some of my customers, who use MSN messenger as a business tool a Killer App.

The amount of talk about, i can imagine this being developed somewhere as everyone is wondering this... perhpas microsft might even enter the scene...

Guest rickyburke

Sounds like your looking for something like Microsoft Portrait

Microsoft Portrait Official Site

At the moment it logs you into msn messenger, allows you to view webcams of people who also have portrait installed and for some pocket pc users the ability to send video, i have emailed them a few times about support for the M2000 internal camera, but alas, they say they do not have the SDK to work with.

Maybe, as we now have Windows Mobile 5, they should be able to support the M5000's internal camera, so we can send as well as receive live video. (i've emailed them regarding this, and am awaiting a response)

As a note, the picture quality is very good, supports sound as well, and has many applications, such as security/surveillance, as you can log on directly to your camera at home using your I.P address.

* You can place a call either from the buddy list of Microsoft Portrait or from the Action menu of MSN Messenger after you install Microsoft Portrait.

* You can also browse in an ILS server and select a people to call.

* Even if your buddy has not installed Microsoft Portrait, you can still invite him/her from the buddy list of Microsoft Portrait so that he/she can receive a message in an MSN Messenger window, which shows him/her you are inviting him/her and where to download Microsoft Portrait. After your buddy installs Microsoft Portrait, he/she can accept your call.

* If you do not have a camera, you can still see others who do send video, or talk with others in robust voice working at bandwidth as low as 2.4 Kbps.

* You can use any of your PCs, Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs or Smartphones to call.

* You can place a call even behind a firewall.

* If you are a modem dialup user, now you can also conveniently see and talk with others.

* Please adjust the slide of the "Video" button to achieve better visual quality if you select to use black/white video.

* If you have a PC with a camera and a Pocket PC, you can use them to constitute a surveillance system. You can call your PC in your home or office using your Pocket PC anytime on the road.

Its a freeware app too, which is nice.

Give it a try.

Edited by rickyburke

Guest rickyburke

Just had a response from the nice people at Microsoft Portrait

We may support Windows Mobile 5.0 in the near future, so that Portrait will be able to make use of HTC devices in theory.

Regards,

Jian Tang

Microsoft Research Asia

There ya go

Fingers Crossed, by the time we all actually get an M5000, they may have already sorted it. :o