Longer ring time before Voicemail kicks in

Guest Honest John

Guest Honest John

I read the following article in a Mobile Phone magazine yesterday and though it might be of interest.

I don't know if you get frustrated with the relatively short time that some mobile phones appear to ring before going on to Voice Mail and wished that this timescale could be extended (bag/pocket search and extract time) , but if you suffer from this problem, then here is a fix.

Note: This may not work for all phones or networks, but you can't do any harm trying..

Step 1. Key in the following into your phone *#61# then press the call/send button. This will return a telephone number and, on smartphones, the current delay time before voice mail kicks in .

Step 2. Write it down. (For Orange, I think the number would be 0793100123 for example)

Step 3. If you wanted, say, 25 seconds, before the Voice mail activated, then you would put 30 where the nn is in the following string and the telephone number from step 2 where the xxxxxxxx is.

Key in **61*xxxxxxxxx*11*nn# followed by the call/send button and it should update the delay.

For example, if I was on Orange and I wanted a 25 second delay, I would key in **61*07973100123*11*25#

If your phone reports the delay time, you can check by following step 1 again.

If it doesn't work, then 2 things to try.

Double-check that you have entered the correct number of stars and hashes or try putting the telephone number in International format (eg +44793100123 instead of 0793100123)

Guest chucky.egg

Funnily enough I did this thing this morning for the boss

There are threads on this already, but it's a useful thing to know

One thing to note:

On Orange UK you seem to need to put two *s before the delay value. The following example sets the delay before voicemail kicks in to 30 seconds.

**61*07973100123**30#

Guest renegade722

Good one guys, this is something that has been bugging me subconsciously for ages, but I've never got around to searching for an answer to it.

I only noticed it this time because it came up as a new post.

Thank you very much indeedy, works a treat :o

Guest renegade722

I've just done something a bit silly :?:

After getting the number for the Orange answerphone (which you can call from abroad) I though I'd replace '123' as my number 1 speed dial with that instead.

Having gone into Accessories\Speed dials and deleting it, I now can't work out how to get 0797... as my number 1 speed dial as that slot is reserved but blank. This means I now can't get through to my answerphone with one key press :o Can you help me please?

Guest Honest John

Don't know if this would help, but as a quick fix till someone cleverer gives you a better answer.

Set up a contact with any name and put the 07..123 number in. Then add to speed dials as speed dial 1. Use that till someone tells you what to do properly!

Guest renegade722

But thats exctly the problem Honest John. I have set up a contact called 'Answerphone' and put in the +447973100123 number, but can't save it at slot number 1 as that is reserved.

Can anyone tell me how to reinstate a number to speed dial 1 slot?

Guest Honest John

So you will have to live with Answerphone on 2 -9 till someone cleverer...etc.

I will watch the post to see if any replies, but suggest you start a new one under Help and advice as well.

Thought I may as well post my experiences of this. On the SPV M2000 at least.

You have to set the time incremantaly, 20s,21,22, 23 etc. For some reason it refused to work otherwise.

Also it seems that the limit is 30 seconds. Just shows up as

invalid parameter

But, a least it works :o

Guest shuurajou
Thought I may as well post my experiences of this. On the SPV M2000 at least.

You have to set the time incremantaly, 20s,21,22, 23 etc. For some reason it refused to work otherwise.

Also it seems that the limit is 30 seconds. Just shows up as

invalid parameter

But, a least it works :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're on Orange UK do it in 5 second increments - and only up to 30.

Edited by shuurajou

Guest Alex_le_brit

Well I got this strange message when I did that.

Info

Forward if no reply is enabled to +33654185408 for voice after 20 seconds.

Anyone have any idea what that means? And interesting that it's in English when my cellphone company is French. I presume this must be a phone generated message, not from my cellco.

EDIT: Well I thought what the heck, and tried the rest anyway and it came up with a message

Success

So that's good, I'm now exceedingly happy because if I leave my phone upstairs in my office I can now get to it before the voicemail cuts in.

Edited by Alex_le_brit

Guest chucky.egg

The only difference I can think of is that you can set the delay, whereas on the phone settings you can only choose the number to divert to IIRC

Guest bluesxman
The only difference I can think of is that you can set the delay, whereas on the phone settings you can only choose the number to divert to IIRC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I allows me to set the delay upto 30 secs. Maybe it changed with the Ornage UK ROM update??

• 3 months later...
I read the following article in a Mobile Phone magazine yesterday and though it might be of interest.

I don't know if you get frustrated with the relatively short time that some mobile phones appear to ring before going on to Voice Mail and wished that this timescale could be extended (bag/pocket search and extract time) , but if you suffer from this problem, then here is a fix.

Note:  This may not work for all phones or networks, but you can't do any harm trying..

Step 1. Key in the following into your phone      *#61#   then press the call/send button.  This will return a telephone number and, on smartphones,  the current delay time before voice mail kicks in . 

Step 2. Write it down.  (For Orange, I think the number would be 0793100123 for example)

Step 3.  If you wanted, say, 25 seconds, before the Voice mail activated, then you would put 30 where the nn is in the following string and the telephone number from step 2 where the xxxxxxxx is.

Key in                **61*xxxxxxxxx*11*nn#          followed by the call/send button and it should update the delay.

For example, if I was on Orange and I wanted a 25 second delay, I would key in **61*07973100123*11*25# 

If your phone reports the delay time, you can check by following step 1 again. 

If it doesn't work, then 2 things to try. 

Double-check that you have entered the correct number of stars and hashes or try putting the telephone number in International format (eg +44793100123 instead of 0793100123)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thiss is fantastic. just as described. Now I am getting full value for my calling tune and not having to break my neck running for the phone. Thanks for sharing this crusial information. Steve

Guest mini_man

i called orange asking about this problem ages ago and they told me they can do it by removing the voice mail and then putting it back on, you get like a minute before it kicks in

Guest Alex_le_brit

I wish someone would tell me how to do this for the French Orange system, I'm getting really fed up with having a mere five seconds, it's nowhere near enough time, sometimes I can't even work out which pocket it's in before it's gone to voicemail.

i called orange asking about this problem ages ago and they told me they can do it by removing the voice mail and then putting it back on, you get like a minute before it kicks in

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

errmm... then you were told wrong.

30 seconds is the maximum. the tip descibed almost never works the way descibed on a payg phone.

The default limit is 20 secs. When we find it's kicking in sooner we give it a try and it sometimes works. If not removing then reinstating the answerphone does the trick & sets it to 30 secs.

Which most people prefer anyway.

I live in Canada and my wireless provider is Rogers. I tried this tip any which way I could including doing many google.com searches, but it would appear that this doesn't work on the Rogers network.

Just thought I'd post a message to save time for any else on the Rogers networks wanted to give this a try.

It would appear the only recourse we have on Rogers is to call customer service and have them adjust it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mbriody

Can't get this to work on my C550 on Orange - keeps telling me "command not supported". Any ideas?

I've tried the original code, the Orange variant noted above (with 2 *'s) and using the international version of the answerphone number. Still no go.

Can't get this to work on my C550 on Orange - keeps telling me "command not supported". Any ideas?

I've tried the original code, the Orange variant noted above (with 2 *'s) and using the international version of the answerphone number. Still no go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can anyone get it to work on a T-Mobile MDA Vario, keep saying COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED, tried various combinations.

ALSO: Is this setting put on a phone basis or is it put onto the SIM CARD?