MSN Messenger on MDA Pro

Guest JampoTT

Guest JampoTT

Been hunting through the menus, and can't seem to find it, which is a major worry...

Can someone advise what is the name of the executable that their MSN runs on their device, and can anyone confirm MSN is in the expected build of the MDA Pro?

Guest Pondrew

Uhoh. A while ago there was real concern at the suggestion Messenger would only be available in Windows Mobile 5 to subscribers of Pocket MSN (ie no longer free).

Really hope this is not the case but...

Guest dazza12

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Agile Messenger should handle this, and there's a few other alternatives. If this is correct, MS have shot themselves in the foot.

Either that or Tmobile has asked for it to be removed as they want users to text rather than use MSN.

Guest JampoTT

I don't particularly mind paying for it, but really liked the way it was integrated with the OS in 2003/2003SE...

Agile Mobile was OK, but never quite as nice as the proper MSN for me...

Plus, I gather the owers of Agile Mobile are going to be charging too, according to their website.

Guest JampoTT

To answer my own post, YUP - it looks like you now have to pay for MSN in their POCKET MSN bundle...

£10.99 (UK) one-off, so hardly a bank-breaker - but a pain in the butt nonetheless...

Guest rickyburke

That is just damn cheeky! something that we can happily use for nothing on our existing smartphones or pocket pc's! Now their going to charge us? Cant wait till someone finds a way to use the wm2003se .exe on windows mobile 5.

Microsoft can go whistle if they think their getting £10.99 from me, i know its not much, so why are they charging it? not like their short of a few bob.

Guest inspectorgadjet

I think it might depend on the operator. On the i-mate JasJar Pocket MSN is included as part of the default installation. And the MSN Messenger is located in Pocket MSN. I find it a bit annoying that I now have to go through an extra stage to get to MSN actually.

Guest dazza12

Is it the actual program that's missing or just the access via the device restricted?

There's also the possibility of using Web Messenger, but this may involve additional costs as it is a web page. Not sure whether the on board browser will support it however.

• 4 weeks later...
Think i'll be changing the rom away from t-mobile and towards i-mate, what will they charge for next?? p.i.e? the on/off switch?

Currently looking for an exe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can confirm that Pocket MSN is included on the XDA Exec also, shame t-mobile removed it from the MDA Pro ;)

Guest MitchellO

Id go with Agile Messenger, or ask somebody with a WM5 device to extract the MSN Messenger files from their device. I would, but I don't have mine yet.

Id go with Agile Messenger, or ask somebody with a WM5 device to extract the MSN Messenger files from their device. I would, but I don't have mine yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be happy to do this for someone if they tell me how ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WEBSERVICESUK
It looks like you can edit a config file and get the device to reconfigure (reboot and load cabinets) and have msn.

If someone can translate this link I would be obliged.

http://www.sda-forum.de/thread.php?postid=19226

The MSN web site quotes MSN as being FREE.

my MDA PRO has less functionality than my MDA Compact.

Come on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools ;)

Guest Pondrew

Looks like I'd better take this opportunity to refer all to the forum rules. No asking for or distributing copyrighted software on MoDaCo. MSN Messenger for Pocket PC Phone is without any doubt what so ever copyrighted. Any decision taken by Microsoft and MSN to charge for Pocket MSN which includes MSN Messenger for Pocket PC is entirely their right and this forum won't condone copyright theft.

Topic Locked