Moto Mpx220 - Experiences

Guest smartgod

Guest smartgod

I'm currently wondering about getting a secondhand MPX220 as a backup phone.

Any MPX220-owners out there who would like to share their pros and cons with me?

Especially, the negative experiences, hardware and software wise...

Guest Paraklas

At the beginning I didn't really like the mpx220 but after I convinced my self to buy it.. I love it. It's sleek and works just fine. I never had problems with it and I''m keeping it until something REALLY fantastic comes out.

Negative experiences: Bad camera at early ROM versions but problem fixed. Low volume during calls but that has been fixed as well. Other negative is battery life which is fairly limited but this applies to almost all smartphones IMHO. One negative thing that many people have issues with is the charger and USB cable pins which tend after some usage not to make good contact with the phone port.

Cheers

Guest aznsolo

this is a great phone. i haven't have any problems with this phone. on bad thing is maybe the camera, but after a few registry changes, the camera is fine considering its a phone.

• 4 weeks later...
At the beginning I didn't really like the mpx220 but after I convinced my self to buy it.. I love it. It's sleek and works just fine. I never had problems with it and I''m keeping it until something REALLY fantastic comes out.

Negative experiences: Bad camera at early ROM versions but problem fixed. Low volume during calls but that has been fixed as well. Other negative is battery life which is fairly limited but this applies to almost all smartphones IMHO. One negative thing that many people have issues with is the charger and USB cable pins which tend after some usage not to make good contact with the phone port.

Cheers

Recently got this nice phone! I`m really amazed!

Just wanna ask - what you mean by bad camera is fixed in lates ROMs ?

Is it safe to say that if I upgrade my ROM (have 1.28 currently) to lets say 1.47 it will make my camera works better ?

Edited by MiG45

Guest TwenTurbos

I love the phone, after updating everything, and changing stuff around to my specs, its the best phone ive had to date, and ive yet to see anyone with it in person, only issues i have is, camera quality isnt the best indoor or in poor lighting (outside it rocks) and at the 1 out of 15 calls "unable to answer call" pop up...

Guest Meyithi

I brought a brand new MPx220 a fortnight ago and my experiences so far are as such:-

1) I flashed with the latest Asian Rom (3.51) and thoroughly debranded and tweaked the registry to get it working optimumly.

2) The PC to Phone sync cable interface (phone end) has broken already, little plastic block snapped off, still works but did not instill confidence.

3) 1/3 times I turn the phone off it will not turn back on until I remove the battery.

4) 1/10 times the phone will turn itself off, and I can't turn it back on again without removing the battery. This is the killer for me, totally unacceptable for a business phone, missing calls in not an option.

Apart from 2-4, no problems. I was a bit disappointed at the screen size, it's quite small by todays standards and the phone itself isn't as small as you would be led to beleive.

It's not a bad phone, but any phone that turnsd itself off is not an option for business.

Guest fullers

I'd like to know how you tweaked the registry to get it working optimally. (How did you tweak it and what did you tweak?)

I brought a brand new MPx220 a fortnight ago and my experiences so far are as such:-

1) I flashed with the latest Asian Rom (3.51) and thoroughly debranded and tweaked the registry to get it working optimumly.

2)  The PC to Phone sync cable interface (phone end) has broken already, little plastic block snapped off, still works but did not instill confidence.

3)  1/3 times I turn the phone off it will not turn back on until I remove the battery.

4)  1/10 times the phone will turn itself off, and I can't turn it back on again without removing the battery.  This is the killer for me, totally unacceptable for a business phone, missing calls in not an option.

Apart from 2-4, no problems.  I was a bit disappointed at the screen size, it's quite small by todays standards and the phone itself isn't as small as you would be led to beleive.

It's not a bad phone, but any phone that turnsd itself off is not an option for business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest RajunCajun

I have had the MPX220 since January of this year. After upgrading to the Asian 3.51 ROM and doing some registry edits. I have been very pleased. Before upgrading, the only issue that I had was the call volume was low and the camera was not very good.

After the upgrade, the call volume is much better. I have not fully tested the camera yet, so I do not know if that is better. Maybe once a month I need to do a reboot, but I have not had any issues with the phone shutting off or not coming on.

It is a great phone. I just wish it came with a keyboard and supported Good so that I could sync with my work email via the cell network.

Well Ok, here comes the bucket of cold water:

CON's:

- I bought an "unbranded" MPX220 (I think it's origin is somewhere in Asia) and it simply can't work with any other ROM but the 1.32 or older versions. So all that stuff about problems solved by flashing to latest version are completely useless.

- The phone is lack of languages. In my case I've tried to change language to spanish but the only thing i've got is the menu translations, neither iTAP nor simple alphabet can be used to type in any other language than english or chinesse.

- The phone microphone self mutes when making a call, so after pressing "SEND" you've got to quickly press "MENU" and then "2" to unmute the call before the the person answer or you'll miss it.

- None of these problems are solved in any forum, the only answer you get is "flash it to the latest ROM", but no one ever replies if that worked or not.

If anyone know how to solve all this problems without saying "flash it to the latest ROM" or "Take your phone to Motorola for being changed" please tell me... as you can see I'm desperate!

Sent back my phone: March 2005

1. would power down by its self

New phone - same but not as much

3rd phone July 2005 - same but fewer powerdowns about once a week.

4th phone October 2005 - Yea! no power problems, but now a sound problem

external speaker no longer works where I can adjust it. On the loud ring setting I can hear it very faintly. So, they did fix something with the software. When it works its great. Singnal is good, battery is weak.