How To Setup Tomtom 5 On K-jam

Guest thereaperman

Guest DJ Big D

I have done all the registry & all but the GPS Control Panel does not show up. I have looked in COnnections to see if ther but it is not. What am i doing wrng? :@

Guest DJ Big D

I think i may know why it wont connect, I dont think i am making a bond with my GPS Receiver properly. Could anyone upload screenshots so i can see if i am doing it right? Or a detailed explanation because I am new to Bluetooth & dont really know what I am doing. I have read the MDA VArio manual & followed those but i dont think I am doing it corerectly.

Please help :)

Guest ingewitt

Dear,

I recently bought a Leadtek 9553 GPS mouse. My pda runs on windows mobile 5 but I cannot set the port settings right.

A friend of mine has a pda running on windows 2003 and he could immediately pair the leadtek gps and it worked fine with TomTom navigator 5. (The pairing of Bluetooth devices works different in mobile 5 then in 2003)

In my case I paired the leadtek 9553 through my Bluetooth settings. I made sure the serial port option was checked. As an outgoing port I can only select com6 and com7.

Before I used a Emtac bluetooth gps mouse and with the following procedure I could navigate with tomtom:

1: pair gps with pda in bluetooth settings

2: in gps control panel, first tab, select com 6 --> ok

3: start tomtom and change gps settings and then choose port com6

4: close tomtom and go back to gps control panel, first tab, set back to none

5: in bluetooth settings, go to tab com, and make a new outgoing port, com6

6: start tomtom and it worked for me.

The same procedure doesn't work with my new gps mouse (Leadtek 9553). I can choose com 6 in tomtom (step 3) and execute every step as described above but when I start tomtom (step 6) I still get the message: no gps device found...

I can cry because I sold my emtac in order to buy a more expensive and "better" gps device with which I cannot navigate with tomtom! ..

Please help me...

Kind regards,

Inge

Guest ingewitt

Hi all,

I have managed to get my tomtom working on my QTek 9100.

Just download the newest version and all troubles are gone.

Pairing my gps mouse was easy. Just establish a new partnership and choose a outgoing port. That's it! No need to make the gps control appear by editing the registry.

Good luck!

Grtz

Guest RichardD
Just download the newest version and all troubles are gone.
Did you use MOBILE or NAVIGATOR and which version number please ?

Does it flip to landscape ok for entering details with the keyboard ?

Edited by RichardD

Guest ingewitt
Did you use MOBILE or NAVIGATOR and which version number please ?

Does it flip to landscape ok for entering details with the keyboard ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Richard,

Before I was using Navigator 5.0

Then I have upgraded to 5.21

And since everything workes fine. Believe me, I managed to get my navigator 5.0 work on my QTek with an Emtac gps mouse by using a workaround. But then I bought a Leadtek 9553 and with the same workaround as my emtac mouse, TomTom still wasn't working. So as a last option I upgraded to 5.21 and pairing was easy. The workaround wasn't necessary anymore.

Tomtom doens't flip automaticaly when using the keyboard. But the keyboard works fine to enter addresses, only the screen doesn't flip by itself.

Greetz

Guest turbo lemon

Can anyone confirm that they have successfully got this working with an MDA Vario on T-Mobile?

There has been lots of assumptions that it will work, but no firm confirmation!

Cheers

Guest darrenackers

I've managed to get my Bluetooth GPS unit working without having to use the Reg Edit software:

Pair both devices, and set outgoing port to COM6

Start TomTom and configure your Bluetooth device as Other Bluetooth GPS and select COM6: as your port.

Quit TomTom and change the outgoing port to COM7

Restart TomTom and select COM0 as your port.

Quit TomTom and change the outgoing port back to COM6.

Restart TomTom and it should now pick up your GPS device.

Hope it works for others as it worked for me!

Guest cone_rch
:) Cannot thank you guys enough.  Tremendous info.  Just got the Qtek 9100 - it's close to perfect and I've had them all.  I've been using the HP 6515 (I get to play with most of the new stuff) with TomTom 5.1 and liked it.  BUT!! without you folks sharing with the rest of us - it would be almost impossible to use on the Qtek.  Too bad the vendors don't get like you guys do. 

Many thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

Does tomtom 5 works whit your Qtek 9100???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest FireBeast
here are 3 key steps in making TomTom 5 work on an i-mate K-JAM with a Bluetooth GPS.

STEP 1 : INSTALL TOMTOM5

You do this by copying the CAB files from the CDROM (eg F:\PocketPC) to the K-JAM and launch one by one from there with the explorer of the K-JAM

You can install voices the same manner by copying the CAB files to the K-JAM (eg from F:\Voice on the CDROM)

STEP 2 : UPGRADE TO V5.1

EDIT: Please use the tomtom official site to obtain the update here

STEP 3 : ACTIVATE THE GPS CONTROL PANEL

Fire up a registry editor (eg http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/phmregistryeditor.shtml )

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings

Delete the DWORD marked "hide"

Add a DWORD called "Group" and give it the value of "2" (dec)

The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings.

STEP 4 : INSTALL TOMTOM5

1. Establish a bond with your GPS and select the checkbox for serial access.

2. In BT, select the OUTGOING port to 6.

3. In the GPS control panel, select the GPS program to 0 and make sure that the hardware one, is set to None.

4. Start TT5 and the GPS settings, select another bluetooth GPS, and you will see COM 0 free. Select COM 0 and close TT5.

5. At the GPS control panel again, now select COM 6 (before we set it up at 0).

6. At BT: select OUTGOING port to 0.

7. Back again to GPS control panel and select NONE.

8. Finally start TT5 and it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've followed the instruction above and install each *.cab files by copy each of them to my vario and run them via explorer.

I then copied the uk map directory over, but when I run tomtom it just stay there for ever and if I delete the UK map directory tomtom run and reported that there are no maps.

please help.

Guest zombiefly

hi,

well i purchased a BT77 GPS unit and followed the instructions to get this working on my vario.

However when i go to tomtom/other gps and set the port to the allocated one used in the bluetooth settings, i get a little spinning black/yellow disc but it never finds the signal... it just says "no valid gps signal"... the disc doesnt spin on the other com ports so i'm presuming it's trying?

any ideas?

Edited by zombiefly

Guest robertevans

Tried this 0n Spv m5000 and worked ok, thanks, had spent 10+ plus last night to try and get it to work, pulling what hair i had out, came onto this forum as a last resort, thanks for the info..Rob

here are 3 key steps in making TomTom 5 work on an i-mate K-JAM with a Bluetooth GPS.

You do this by copying the CAB files from the CDROM (eg F:\PocketPC) to the K-JAM and launch one by one from there with the explorer of the K-JAM

You can install voices the same manner by copying the CAB files to the K-JAM (eg from F:\Voice on the CDROM)

EDIT: Please use the tomtom official site to obtain the update here

Fire up a registry editor (eg http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/phmregistryeditor.shtml )

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings

Delete the DWORD marked "hide"

Add a DWORD called "Group" and give it the value of "2" (dec)

The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings.

1. Establish a bond with your GPS and select the checkbox for serial access.

2. In BT, select the OUTGOING port to 6.

3. In the GPS control panel, select the GPS program to 0 and make sure that the hardware one, is set to None.

4. Start TT5 and the GPS settings, select another bluetooth GPS, and you will see COM 0 free. Select COM 0 and close TT5.

5. At the GPS control panel again, now select COM 6 (before we set it up at 0).

6. At BT: select OUTGOING port to 0.

7. Back again to GPS control panel and select NONE.

8. Finally start TT5 and it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest purple8
as my info says, you can not run tomtom from the hands you need to click on each .cab file one by one to install tomtom on the device ie gps.cab, tnn.cab etc

you have to make the reg entries under gps and delete the redirect item for it to work, also you have to make sure you have quit the reg file editor or it will not show up at all

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have excatly the same problem as the guy above everytime i restart the unit the registry entries return as before. it is drivin me nuts :?:

Guest pgannon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the K-JAM and have not been able to download any of the maps from the map CDs supplied when I purchased the TomTom Navigator 5. I went to the TomTom UK site to download the Nav 5.21 latest software which was needed in order to download to the KJAM using ActiveSync 4.1. Now the map CD install software aborts when trying to install onto the KJAM over ActiveSync 4.1. Of course the TomTom software which is running on my KJAM can not event activate itself until there is at least one purchased map loaded onto the KJAM. Thus, I am also not able to obtain the device id needed to activate my TomTom. HELP.

I copied the CAB map files to the SD on my KJAM, but when I install the CAB files I get a message stating that the CAB installed "unsuccesfully".

Any ideas?

Patrick G.

Guest ferritt

Hi

This is my first post and I really need some help? I've been trying to get tomtom to work on my xda mini s for days but nothing works. I've tried all methods on these forums to get it to work but nothing works. At the moment tomtom freezes on the voice selection setup screen. These are the ways I've tried to get it to work:

. Installed tomtom 5 cabs first then upgraded to 5.2 via setup

. installed 5.2 upgrade first the added voice cabs etc..

Nothing just seems to work. I'm going crazy getting this to work. If i cant get it to work theres no point keeping my mini s. only reason i got it.

please help somebody

cheers

Guest minty1978

sounds like your voices are not in the correct directory:

Frequently asked questions

Extra voices Help with installing voices on TomTom 5

The TomTom CD should come with a number of different voice files, which can be installed from the CD. TomTom sell a number of other voices on their site, which you can purchase, download, then install. The TomTom software has an option to let you switch between installed voices. Voices need to be installed into a folder called '\voices\ at the root of the Internal drive. If you're having problems getting the voices to be recognised by TomTom, try:

Go to File Explorer

Press the folder selecter underneath the start icon

Select "My device" on your internal drive.

If there isn't a folder called 'voices in the list', press 'Edit > New folder', and create one.

Open the voices folder. In there you'll need to place the new TomTom voice files. (As an example, we've installed John Cleese, and our 'voices' folder contains data97.bmp, data97.vif and data97.chk)

Taken from: http://www.filesaveas.com/navigator.html

Edited by minty1978

Guest ferritt
sounds like your voices are not in the correct directory:

Frequently asked questions

Extra voices  Help with installing voices on TomTom 5

The TomTom CD should come with a number of different voice files, which can be installed from the CD. TomTom sell a number of other voices on their site, which you can purchase, download, then install. The TomTom software has an option to let you switch between installed voices. Voices need to be installed into a folder called '\voices\ at the root of the Internal drive. If you're having problems getting the voices to be recognised by TomTom, try:

Go to File Explorer

Press the folder selecter underneath the start icon

Select "My device" on your internal drive.

If there isn't a folder called 'voices in the list', press 'Edit > New folder', and create one.

Open the voices folder. In there you'll need to place the new TomTom voice files. (As an example, we've installed John Cleese, and our 'voices' folder contains data97.bmp, data97.vif and data97.chk)

Taken from: http://www.filesaveas.com/navigator.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why do the voices have to be in a folder called voices??? the only reason i ask is because i have ask this same question on many forums in the hope i get a quick answer. But this is the only forum why i've been told that i must have a folder calleds voices with these files in. Also on my ipaq (running tomtom5) there is no voice folder. the files are just in /my documents/tomtom

Also i have all voice files in cab form but i also have them in .chk form aswell. So which to use???

cheers

Guest awarner [MVP]
why do the voices have to be in a folder called voices???

Because it's how TomTom was designed, with an official TomTom install the voices folder should have been installed as well.

Also i have all voice files in cab form but i also have them in .chk form aswell.  So which to use???

The proper voices will have a chk and bmp files these are the only files you need and not the cab file.

Guest malc901

I'm thinking of getting TomTom for my MDA Vario. Does anyone know if this will work with my bluetooth car kit so that the verbal directions come through the car's speakers? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest awarner [MVP]
Can i empty my memorycard, except for the maps and voices, after i got tomtom to work properly?? I sort of need the space...

Not really, if you need more space you need to think about getting a larger storage card.

All files TomTom installs are needed to make full use of the application.