• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Phone History:<br /><br />-Nokia 5110<br />-Nokia 8210<br />-Nokia 3510i<br />-Nokia 7210<br />-Sony Ericsson K700i<br />-Nokia 6630<br />-Nokia 7610<br />-Orange SPV M500<br />-Orange SPV C500<br />-Sony Ericsson W800i<br />-Nokia N90<br />-Samsung D600<br />-iMate SP5<br />-MDA Vario <br />-MoDaCo C600<br />-MDA Pro<br />-Sony Ericsson K800i<br />-Nokia E61<br />-Nokia N95<br />-LG Viewty<br />-Sony Ericsson W660<br />-Nokia 6500 Classic Black<br />-Sony Ericsson W910<br />-Sony Ericsson C902<br />-Blackberry Curve<br />-Blackberry Bold 9000<br />-iPhone 3GS<br />-HTC Desire<br />-iPhone 4
  • Devices:iPhone 4
  • Twitter:@Super_Nicktendo
Hi guys,
as posted under the smartphone main section, I was at the Orange Academy today.
Good news to come from the event is that Microsoft and Orange are currently busy preparing a WM5 upgrade for both the C550 and the M500!

We were obviously told not to tell the general public, as they want us to push the C600 and the M5000, but for existing owners, this is fantastic news :o

Any more info needed, please feel free to PM me.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

Good news on the WM5 front to (and I shouldnt really be giving you this info) - however, we were told that Microsoft and Orange are currently working on a WM5 upgrade for both the C550 and the M500 :o

Sounded like great news... until the suggestion of WM5 for the SPV M500 which makes me think he didn't know what he was talking about. :?:

If the 64meg SPV M500 is capable of running Windows Mobile 5 reliably I'll be a monkeys uncle. I'll be astonished if Orange produce an update for that. U sure they weren't referring to one of the other Pocket PC Phone range (probably the SPV M1500)?

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Phone History:<br /><br />-Nokia 5110<br />-Nokia 8210<br />-Nokia 3510i<br />-Nokia 7210<br />-Sony Ericsson K700i<br />-Nokia 6630<br />-Nokia 7610<br />-Orange SPV M500<br />-Orange SPV C500<br />-Sony Ericsson W800i<br />-Nokia N90<br />-Samsung D600<br />-iMate SP5<br />-MDA Vario <br />-MoDaCo C600<br />-MDA Pro<br />-Sony Ericsson K800i<br />-Nokia E61<br />-Nokia N95<br />-LG Viewty<br />-Sony Ericsson W660<br />-Nokia 6500 Classic Black<br />-Sony Ericsson W910<br />-Sony Ericsson C902<br />-Blackberry Curve<br />-Blackberry Bold 9000<br />-iPhone 3GS<br />-HTC Desire<br />-iPhone 4

Sounded like great news... until the suggestion of WM5 for the SPV M500 which makes me think he didn't know what he was talking about.  :?:

If the 64meg SPV M500 is capable of running Windows Mobile 5 reliably I'll be a monkeys uncle. I'll be astonished if Orange produce an update for that. U sure they weren't referring to one of the other Pocket PC Phone range (probably the SPV M1500)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I own an M500 and he was blatently waving one around in front of my eyes saying "Both these devices will have WM5 on them in the coming months..."

So god knows.. he did seem to know what he was talking about tho, being a MS Trainer and all.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

I own an M500 and he was blatently waving one around in front of my eyes saying "Both these devices will have WM5 on them in the coming months..."

So god knows.. he did seem to know what he was talking about tho, being a MS Trainer and all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really hope I'm wrong as there are A LOT of Magician owners crying out for WM5...

chilledatthebottom

chilledatthebottom

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Photography, CNC Machining, Electronics, Engineering
  • Devices:Apple iPhone 3G, MDA Vario III
Hmm... wheel c

Jason Aspinall
Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Hmm... wheel c

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just took me two minutes to work out you were saying we'll see! :oops:

That we will. Still say WM5 on a device with just 64meg ram and 64meg rom is looking for trouble.

Confused Stu

Confused Stu

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Wife, kids, bike and phone. Sometimes even in that order!<br /><br />Seem to spend all my time at work rowing uphill and never getting there. Beyond that, haven't found time to get a life yet so can't think of anything interesting to say!
  • Devices:HD2
But Pondrew, if we'd wanted a nice, safe, easy life we would all own Nokia's, wouldn't we?! :o

The main thing I love about Smartphones and PPC's is the customizability. If you want to change something, you can, if you don't want to - don't! If they do release a WM2005 for the M500 then I'll definitely try it. If I prefer it, I'll keep it, if I don't then I'll switch (or hack) back to the 2003SE.

I agree, it might be looking for trouble. But I'd really, really love to be able to try it and see rather than Orange deciding for me that it won't work.

Can't seem to word this post without sounding like I'm having a go! :oops: I'm not, I promise! I agree with your sentiments, but put my name down as a "yes please!" :(

Current Devices: Leo, ZTE Blade, StrTrk, Kaiser, Typhoon
Previous devices: Raphael, Hermes, Canary

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Can't seem to word this post without sounding like I'm having a go!  :oops:  I'm not, I promise!  I agree with your sentiments, but put my name down as a "yes please!"  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehe. U worded it fine! No problems :(

mcwarre

mcwarre

I've always wanted to explore the Pacific rim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Devices:Samsung: Galaxy S2 & Tab 10.1
WM5 on M500? If only there wer M500's available...............

"Success is not to be measured by the position someone has reached in life, but the obstacles he has overcome while trying to succeed."

Booker T. Washington

thefunkygibbon

thefunkygibbon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
why all the naysaying? isnt the m500 the same hardware pretty much as the m1000 and i've had wm2k5 running on that fine for the last 6 months.

Thumper Net

Thumper Net

The artist formerly known as Peekie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
wm5 could be the reason you cant get hold of an m500 , maybe ;)

gadget freek , rabbit mad english guy trapped in Holland

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

why all the naysaying? isnt the m500 the same hardware pretty much as the m1000 and i've had wm2k5 running on that fine for the last 6 months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. The M1000 is entirely different hardware being an HTC Himalaya. The differences are real too as an M1000 has the full 128meg of ram that the M500 doesn't.

See here for all the specs.

Thumper Net

Thumper Net

The artist formerly known as Peekie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
spoke with orange over here and the only wm5 update that seems to be rumoured is for the c550 ;) if it does not come out then the first upgrade for the c600 would probably work with a tweak :D

gadget freek , rabbit mad english guy trapped in Holland

mupwangle

mupwangle

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Devices:SPV c500 + Qtek S110
>>The differences are real too as an M1000 has the full 128meg of ram that the M500 doesn't.

Do you reckon that the new jam and the S110 will get it at some point?

I was walking past a building and I saw a man standing high up on a ledge. “Jump! Jump!” I started yelling. What happened next would haunt me for the rest of my days: the man came down from the building and beat the living daylights out of me.
-Jack Handy

creamhackered

creamhackered

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN II
Just to blow the whistle on this guy.

Sporkguy has been banned around 10 times on Neowin.net. A forum that I moderate and post news to.

He is well known for lies and annoying forum members.

Edited by creamhackered, 14 October 2005 - 09:36 PM.

Posted Image

Ramx2

Ramx2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Lies every where :evil:

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

>>The differences are real too as an M1000 has the full 128meg of ram that the M500 doesn't.

Do you reckon that the new jam and the S110 will get it at some point?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect it (the 128meg Magician) is capable of it. As to whether ANY of the HTC Pocket PC Phones will receive an official upgrade to Windows Mobile 5, who knows?!

ElGato65

ElGato65

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Devices:SPV C500 + C600

Just to blow the whistle on this guy.

Sporkguy has been banned around 10 times on Neowin.net. A forum that I moderate and post news to.

He is well known for lies and annoying forum members.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh crap, just as I was gettng my hopes up for the C550, ;)

That cat's something I can't explain.

Posted Image

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Oh crap, just as I was gettng my hopes up for the C550, ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be too downhearted. Peekie (a Dutch mod with connections) has heard that the C550 IS going to receive a WM5 update. At least, he seemed to indicate such and I got the impression it was seperate to Sporkguys posts.

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
lol - I've had hassles with creamhackered over at Neowin, but that's nothing to do with this issue.

All I'm posting is the info I got at the Christmas Academy last Tuesday - don't believe me if you want, but I'm just relaying info you otherwise wouldnt get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users