Guest chrisc28

WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Changing the Startup and Shutdown Screens

Using a signed Registry Editor.....

Here's what I changed

HKLM/System/Startup/1/

Value -> Splash

Edit Value data to path of file

e.g. if your path of file is /Application Data/Home/test.bmp, enter that into the field

EDIT: Thanks to shadamehr who brought this point up.

MAKE SURE THAT YOUR IMAGES ARE ON THE PHONE'S MEMORY, NOT IN STORAGE CARD. /Application Data/Home/ is a good place to put it

The previous example for Storage Card was a very bad one. I hadn't realised I typed in the wrong path.

HKLM/System/Startup/2/Splash

Same thing (for second splash image)

HKLM/System/Shutdown/1/

Value -> Splash

Do the same thing

You should now see that the splash images change.

Some minor memory management fix

Storing temporary internet files in IE hogs up precious memory on the phone (somehow it doesn't happen to me in WM2003). Here's how I avoid losing my memory to temporary internet files (since I do a lot of browsing).

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders

Values -> Cache

Change value data to point to your Storage Card (if you have enough space, else edit your cache size limit).

Toggling the Grid Style Menu

Please refer to the other posts about this. http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...oggle+grid+menu

Startup Sounds

First, install this http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=108832

Then browse to /Storage/windows/Startup/

Move the Startup.lnk shortcut to your startup folder in /windows/Startup/. This is because WM5.0 handles it differently.

Remember, it's an application that runs at startup.

There is currently no known way to set shutdown sounds. The registry edit, for some reason, only works on non-HTC smartphones (it hasn't worked since the Voyager).

Startup AND Shutdown Sounds

From Modaco some time back (not written by me)

First copy the following plugin dll into your /Application Data/Home/ directory.

sss.zip

Then in any of your desired homescreen, insert this line

<plugin clsid="{21031980-1512-2103-3005-197719802002}" name="SSS" start="/Application Data/Home/start.wav" stop="/Application Data/Home/stop.wav"></plugin>

As you can see, my start and stop paths refer to the location of my startup and shutdown sounds. You may put this anywhere you wish (preferably in your phone memory).

Launch the homescreen and voila!

I'm looking into compiling a nice set of skin in a proper .cab file (busy downloading the new SDKs). Enjoy!

Edited by chrisc28

Guest gilesjuk
Maybe you can also post on how to permanately disable GPRS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if you're not going to use GPRS at all then delete the GPRS settings?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harrysaab

it says unable to perform this operation when i try to change the path of startup/shutdown logos.

any other ideas u got?

Changing the Startup and Shutdown Screens

Using a signed Registry Editor.....

Here's what I changed

HKLM/System/Startup/1/

Value -> Splash

Edit Value data to path of file

e.g. if your path of file is /Storage Card/My Documents/, enter that into the field

HKLM/System/Startup/2/Splash

Same thing (for second splash image)

HKLM/System/Shutdown/1/

Value -> Splash

Do the same thing

You should now see that the splash images change.

Some minor memory management fix

Storing temporary internet files in IE hogs up precious memory on the phone (somehow it doesn't happen to me in WM2003). Here's how I avoid losing my memory to temporary internet files (since I do a lot of browsing).

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders

Values -> Cache

Change value data to point to your Storage Card (if you have enough space, else edit your cache size limit).

Toggling the Grid Style Menu

Please refer to the other posts about this. http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...oggle+grid+menu

These are the fixes I found helpful. Will explore more when I have the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest shadamehr

Ok folks - I have downloaded a pile of 'Operator Logos' from Kleinwiedr's site (I assume these to be the 'banner' that appears when entering your SIM pin on bootup, and when making a call or whatever...

Anyone know what I do with them, to get them to work, in WM5.0 on an SP5?

(Asked in this thread, as you seem to know what's what...)

Edited by shadamehr

Guest shadamehr
Is there a way to add startup and shutdown sounds?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost sure this is not possible on SmartPhones.

WARNING FOLKS!

I've just spent ages trying to get this to work and failing miserably.

Then as ever with our Shadamehr here, a lightbulb clicks on and he cracks it...

You see, I couldn't get my Startups to work, but I COULD get my Shutdown image to display. And after half an hour of trying .png's, .bmp's, amending the disaply duration and other things, it dawned on me that that was the clue...

'Cos I had stored the images on my Storage Card to save room... And that was why Shutdowns worked but not Startups...

Once booted up and running, the phone can access the Storage Card, so my Shutdown was fine.

But during bootup, the phone has no access to the Storage Card until the OS is up and running, so it couldn't ACCESS my images for bootup.

As soon as I placed them on the phone memory instead, voila - new Startup Images.

Nice one Shadamehr - we gets there eventually... "Wants it ma precious... Nasty hobbits..." /and all that talking to myself stuff...

Anyway...

Don't store the images you want on Storage Card, as the phone can't read this during bootup stage. So for this to work, save your images somewhere on PHONE MEMORY instead folks.

Hope that helps.

SECOND TIP...

Call your files something generic like "Start 1", "Start 2" and "Shutdown" for example.

That way, all you need do if you fancy a change is copy images with the same name over the top of them, instead of having to fire up a registry editor and changing the names of the files which is a far more long winded and laborious way of doing it...

Edited by shadamehr

Guest shadamehr
Edits, see first post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't being critical chris - indeed, hadn't even noticed you had suggested or indicated to use Storage Card yourself - it was just something i did myself to try and save room, til realised it wont work.

Thanks for some great tips mate - cheers!

Guest nickcornaglia

Not as much of a hack but there is a T9Settings utility in the windows directory that will let you add/edit/delete words to your T9 list. Create a Shortcut to it, paste it in your Start Menu folder, and you're good to go.

Guest nickcornaglia

Thanks for Starting the thread. I would change the title to WM5 hacks. Also, I wouldn't mind posting any that were covered before so they are all in one place or maybe I missed the previous thread. Maybe a mod could sticky it as well.

Guest nickcornaglia

Here is also a link with instruction to unlock the SP5 and SP5m

http://spaces.msn.com/members/xpworld/Blog...A!198.entry

Unlock WM5 on HTC devices to install your own root CA certificate

I found the solution. Unfortunately it is much harder than I anticipated.

In fact you have to hack the security policy of WM5 in order to be able to install you own certificate. To accomplish this task you need two programs:

RegeditSTG.exe the trusted version of regedit from HTC.

SDA_ApplicationUnlock.zip a program to application unlock the SDA and alike smartphones. 

Now use the following procedure:

Copy Regedit.zip to an internal folder of the phone and unpack Regedit.exe. It does not seem to work when it is copied to SD.

Start Regedit.exe and change the following registry keys:

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 2 => 1 (RAPI)HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 16 => 40 (Cert)HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001017 = 128 => 144 (?)

Now start SDA_ApplicationUnlock.exe on the PC with the phone attached to the USB port and click Unlock in the application.

Restart the phone

Now you can install your own root CA certificates by double clicking the .cer file

Required files attached

regeditSTG.zip

SDA_ApplicationUnlock.zip

Edited by nickcornaglia

Guest Pondrew

Topic pinned.

Also the software you need for startup and shutdown sounds is a plugin called SSS Plugin (Start & Stop Sound). Info on the plugin is below:

The Start & Stop Sound plugin by Sv1000:

1. Makes it possible to easily assign Startup and Shutdown sounds. Audio files are in *.WAV format.

2. The plugin will also play the WAV file when you change a homescreen layout.

Once you hear the sound, the homescreen file is already loaded.

Understanding how the plugin works:

The XML code of the plugin looks like:

To give a rough interpretation of the code...

start="\Storage\start.wav" , where start corresponds to Startup sound (start.wav)

stop="\Storage\stop.wav" , where stop corresponds to Shutdown sound (stop.wav)

Therefore, in order for the wav files to play, your wav file's path and name should be the same as that of the XML code.

Obviously, if a wav file is corrupted, it won't play.

Download the software pack and install the cabs to the sd card , you also gain a switching application to switch between the old numbers menu and the large icon menu, plus you can install the anti virus and games to the sd card , which also stops the antivirus from its stupid 9 day update , all the installed cabs can be found under sd/programme files/cdl :)

Guest namiran

Just wanted to share something i think everyone will like using :) think i even heard paul talking about this :D

Tip1: to turn off the screen completely (not the same as turning of the backlight) in a shorter time then the minimum in the Settings (60seconds) just do the following

Start regedit and go to

HKCU/ControlPanel/Power

Value [Display]

change it to however many seconds you want, i have this set to 10 and the backlight timeout set to 5

good to know is that if you go into the settings and try to change this, this will be reset to the default value of 60 again.

Tip2:

To change the order of the profiles in the profile menu

HKCU/ControlPanel/Profiles/*Select a profile*

Value [Order]

Change this nr to whatever order you want to, remember to change the one you are replacing to, for instance you shouldnt have two profiles with the ordernr 4!

Tip3:

To change the order of the profiles/shortcuts in the quicklaunch menu

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/QuickApp/

Value [1-6]

Change this nr to whatever order you want to, remember to change the one you are replacing to, for instance you shouldnt have two profiles with the ordernr 4 and you should also always have all the numbers from 1 to 6

This might be usefull if you do not want to have the profile on your homescreen and rather use a button on the phone for it, then change nr 1 to 6 and 6 to 1, if you want to turn off the phone now just push and hold the power button, locking keypad is still done with holding the red phone and all profiles as well as the flightmode still can be chosen without pressing the more button...

Guest goatpunch
If like me you want GPRS to stay permanently connected, even after pressing the red end key to lock the phone:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\(GPRS connection name)\AlwaysOn

Just change it from 0 to 1.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the permanent GPRS connection have much impact on battery life? Does it reduce bandwidth usage at all?

It would be nice to have an email app that kept the IMAP connection open, as even with GPRS always on the supplied app reconnects every time and wastes a whole load of b/w.

Guest schriss

Anybody knows the trick to show NETWORK folder? Tried to add the registry entry like it is added in Pocket PC but got error "can't create entry" or something like that. I'd like to browse Wi-Fi network from my SP5m.

Guest chaznet

Got one for the backlight??? ;)

Just wanted to share something i think everyone will like using :) think i even heard paul talking about this :D

Tip1: to turn off the screen completely (not the same as turning of the backlight) in a shorter time then the minimum in the Settings (60seconds) just do the following

Start regedit and go to

HKCU/ControlPanel/Power

Value [Display]

change it to however many seconds you want, i have this set to 10 and the backlight timeout set to 5

good to know is that if you go into the settings and try to change this, this will be reset to the default value of 60 again.

Tip2:

To change the order of the profiles in the profile menu

HKCU/ControlPanel/Profiles/*Select a profile*

Value [Order]

Change this nr to whatever order you want to, remember to change the one you are replacing to, for instance you shouldnt have two profiles with the ordernr 4!

Tip3:

To change the order of the profiles/shortcuts in the quicklaunch menu

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/QuickApp/

Value [1-6]

Change this nr to whatever order you want to, remember to change the one you are replacing to, for instance you shouldnt have two profiles with the ordernr 4 and you should also always have all the numbers from 1 to 6

This might be usefull if you do not want to have the profile on your homescreen and rather use a button on the phone for it, then change nr 1 to 6 and 6 to 1, if you want to turn off the phone now just push and hold the power button, locking keypad is still done with holding the red phone and all profiles as well as the flightmode still can be chosen without pressing the more button...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>