So what's the fuss with the M5000?

Guest mlp

Considering o2 (and t-mobile for that matter) are already shipping the Exec @ £139 on any contract, why is there so much anticipation over Orange's offering?

I'm lead to believe that in my town, o2 has better reception than Orange (friends with o2 handsets get good reception where I get "searching...". So, when my C500 contract runs out at the beginning of Nov, I think I know what I'll be doing...

...unless you know why I shouldn't?

Edited by mlp

• 2 weeks later...
Considering o2 (and t-mobile for that matter) are already shipping the Exec @ £139 on any contract, why is there so much anticipation over Orange's offering?

I'm lead to believe that in my town, o2 has better reception than Orange (friends with o2 handsets get good reception where I get "searching...". So, when my C500 contract runs out at the beginning of Nov, I think I know what I'll be doing...

...unless you know why I shouldn't?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just phoned Orange to see how much they will charge me to upgrade my C500 to M5000 and they are giving it to me for nothing!

Hows that for a bargain!!!

Guest stanthebiker

Hmm, I just got off the phone with Orange Business Customer Service (345). They quoted £299 to upgrade from my E200 and when I told them that was more than I was willing to pay, they came back after a few mins on hold with £249. I asked them for a PAC code, which they were only too pleased to give me! No attempt to retain this customer.

o2 or T-Mobile are looking like a strong possibility, not that I particularly want to leave Orange.

Edited by stanthebiker

Guest eggedd2k

we were told high prices like that yesterday - with a bit of persistence i'm getting one for £129. just gotta wait for our local orange shop (the business store) to get them in at the end of the week

Guest stanthebiker

eggedd2k: By persistence do you mean I should just keep calling until I get a better deal? The guy I spoke to didnt even know the M5000 was released until he checked it out.

Guest eggedd2k

if poss you'd be best to speak to the person who sorted out your orange contract originally. he should be able to sort something out - most likely this will be in liason with your local orange shop. the folks in the upgrades department arent really business upgrade efficient.

speaking to whoever sorted your contract out originally is essential though i reckon. just keep ringing him/her until they get fed up with you.

Guest afhstingray

call 150 on your orange phone, press 4 then press 3 (the "if your thinking of leaving orange" button

then tell them you want to leave

they will ask you why, tell them o2 have this really nice phone and want to give it to you free....they'll give u a good deal..

Guest stanthebiker

Just tried that afhstingray, the retentions department were not budging.

Looks like o2 or T-mobile then. Does anyone have any recommendations or reasons not to use either of them?

Looks like o2 or T-mobile then. Does anyone have any recommendations or reasons not to use either of them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

orange are doing 3 months free 3g access with 1000MB per month

been told buy orange store today that there 3g prices are going to drop big time in the new year lots of talk and 3g access packages. :twisted:

Guest Confucious

O don't seem botherd about keeping customers.

Check the coverage of O2 and T-Mob. T-Mobs Web and Walk seems a good deal but see what you can get on O2.

T-Mob phones are locked but O2 phones aren't.

O2's interface on the Universal slows it down to a crawl - if you do get an Exec then dump their s/ware! Don't know what T-Mobs s/ware is like.

HTH

Edited by Confucious

Guest stanthebiker
O don't seem botherd about keeping customers.

Check the coverage of O2 and T-Mob. T-Mobs Web and Walk seems a good deal but see what you can get on O2.

T-Mob phones are locked but O2 phones aren't.

O2's interface on the Universal slows it down to a crawl - if you do get an Exec then dump their s/ware! Don't know what T-Mobs s/ware is like.

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your reply Confucious.

Yes, T-mobile looks like the best option due to the 40mb included with Web'n'walk. However, I have to give Orange their due and say that their 3G coverage (at least the map) does reach my village. However, as I would use Wi-Fi when in the house for internet connectivity, I am not sure thats such a big deal.

Here are my figures

T-Mobile Web n Walk 200

12 month at £16 (200 mins talk time, 40MB data) = £192

6months at £35 = £210

Handset £150

Total £552.00 over 18 months

T-Mobile Web n Walk 400

9 months at £23.50 (400 mins talk time, 40MB data) = £211.50

9 months at £51 = £459

Handset £100

Total £770.50 over 18 months

o2

18 months at £25 (200 mins talktime, 1MB data) = £450

18 months additional 4MB data at £5 = £90

Handset £150

Total £690

Staying at Orange

18 months at approx £27 a month (120 mins talk time) = £486

18 months Mobile Office 7mb data at £11.75 = £211.50

Handset £249 (down from £299 after telling them Tmobile do it for £99 on Web n' Walk 400)

Total £946.50

Staying at Orange for another 18 months with current handset

18 months at approx £27 a month (120 mins talk time) = £486

Conclusion

The most expensive alternative option (T-Mobile Web'n'Walk 400) still saves me £176 over 18 months.

The best alternative option (T-Mobile Web'n'Walk 200) saves me £394.50 over 18 months and only costs an extra £66 more than just staying with Orange with my current handset or a free upgrade.

Any comments are welcome, it currently looks I will be ordering from T-Mobile on Monday.

Edited by stanthebiker