Ask Paul [MVP]: SPV C600 Q&A

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Hi all!

I am in the fortunate position of having in my possession a SPV C600, and since i've now got to grips with it, i'd like to answer any questions MoDaCo readers have about the device!

Feel free to post any questions about Orange's latest Smartphone below, and I will endeavour to do my best to respond, and any questions I can't answer, Orange have kindly agreed to respond to.

Fire away! ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Is it on Windows Mobile 5? - Sorry already found answer on the siteĀ  ;)

Haha, no prize for asking the first question i'm afraid!

As you now know, yes, it is Windows Mobile 5. Pre-empting a question that is sure to come up, it isn't the 'Messaging & Security Feature Pack' version of Windows Mobile 5 that features push email, as that isn't available yet for OEMs to put onto devices.

P

Some quick easy ones:

In your opinion, what's the compelling reason/s to upgrade from a C500? My current Orange price plan is good and I don't want to pay more, but I would commit to another 12 months at the same price with a modest upgrade fee.

Is the screen bigger (I realise the resolution is higher)?

Does it make the loud noise when you select a contract when composing an SMS?

Dust?

Does it charge with a regular mini-USB cable, i.e. without needing driver install?

Does the 4 way switch feel better than the C500 version which I find a bit hit and miss?

Thanks!

it isn't the 'Messaging & Security Feature Pack' version of Windows Mobile 5 that features push email, as that isn't available yet for OEMs to put onto devices

Can Orange confirm that this will be a future free upgrade? It's essential for me and a big driver in moving to Mobile 5.

Guest Dumdidum

Hi

Upgrade-Reasons from C500:

- Way better Screen (A bit bigger and unbelievable resolution, the screen quality is even better than the C550)

- Windows Mobile 5

- Joystick is good (similar to the C550 one)

Yes but not much

Dust?

Really difficult to say as the phone is a few days old...

Does it charge with a regular mini-USB cable, i.e. without needing driver install?

Yes

Does the 4 way switch feel better than the C500 version which I find a bit hit and miss?

I like it more than the C500-one. Is similar to the C550...

Cheers

Sven

Not really a product related query but one that I am sure many will be interested to know the answer to nonetheless ...

In your opinion, is there any improvement on this over the c500 that we have come to know and love apart from the obvious; the improved screen, the better camera (although that's questionable), the EDGE technology which may or may not be implemented by Orange ...

To my mind, there was little value in launching the c550 as it appeared to be nothing more than a stop-gap for an improved version of the c500 with wireless capability or se we all had hoped!

Orange's decision to exclude wireless connectivity in this new model seems crazy. There are now three very similar phones in the SPV Cxxx range with very little to choose between them as I see it.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Some quick easy ones:

In your opinion, what's the compelling reason/s to upgrade from a C500? My current Orange price plan is good and I don't want to pay more, but I would commit to another 12 months at the same price with a modest upgrade fee.

For me it would be fabulous screen, Windows Mobile 5, great performance and quad band radio. 1.3MP (but not fantastic still) camera is a bonus. It looks great too, even better than the C500 IMHO (which I liked the look of).

Hmmm, not sure actually, i'll compare it to my C500 tonight!

Does it make the loud noise when you select a contract when composing an SMS?

No!

Dust?

None yet (/me touches wood)

Ooh, difficult one as all my machines have the driver on. Again, will try tonight and report back.

It's a proper little joystick, very nice.

Thanks!

You're welcome ;)

Guest Paul [MVP]
Can Orange confirm that this will be a future free upgrade? It's essential for me and a big driver in moving to Mobile 5.

I will forward this question to Orange!

P

Guest venomgames

Ooh, difficult one as all my machines have the driver on. Again, will try tonight and report back.

Can you try with a non-PC charging source please, such as a standard USB-MiniUSB cable plugged into a wallwart or car cigarette lighter?

These used to not work for the C500 if it didnt detect a PC

Thanks

Guest venomgames

Anyone know if the current version of Copilot which I run on my C500 is likely to run on the C600. I see the Copilot upgrade says it will run on C600, just not sure whether it was necessary

Having to upgrade as my LCD was smashed over the past few days somehow, and now just has a big multicoloured splodge all over it's screen like a bruise

Peter

Guest trevormuk

Hello paul

Is it Wi-Fi enabled?

Orange have announced it (sort of!) - Have they indicated when it will be available to order, either via their website/shops or other retailers?

Being similar in shape/style to the C500 is it slightly smaller / less "chunky" than the C550?

How does it compare in looks / style to the SP5 etc.?

Many thanks

Guest Paul [MVP]
Not really a product related query but one that I am sure many will be interested to know the answer to nonetheless ...

In your opinion, is there any improvement on this over the c500 that we have come to know and love apart from the obvious; the improved screen, the better camera (although that's questionable), the EDGE technology which may or may not be implemented by Orange ...

To my mind, there was little value in launching the c550 as it appeared to be nothing more than a stop-gap for an improved version of the c500 with wireless capability or se we all had hoped!

Orange's decision to exclude wireless connectivity in this new model seems crazy. There are now three very similar phones in the SPV Cxxx range with very little to choose between them as I see it.

My interpretation is that the range is now the C550 and the C600... the C550 being the 'consumer' phone and the C600 being the 'business' phone.

That's just my interpretation and could be totally wrong of course ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
What are the advantages (and disadvantages, if any) of WM5 compared to the old OS?

The main advantages for me of Windows Mobile 5 are that I feel it is slicker and more polished, Server ActiveSync now supports tasks and pictures (with Exchange SP2), IE is (slightly) improved and for me personally the developer functionality is much, much improved.

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Another one for you,Ā  ;)

any idea if it supports the Bluetooth Stereo profile (a2h2 or something?) for MP3s over bluetooth headphones?

Cheers

I can't tell you, but I do have an A2DP headset on it's way, so will let you know!

P

Guest Jamma14

Does it have the orange plugin in it?

IE. Does it work with homescreens such as THIS? Does the dock work?

Because someone with a c600 on nectun mentioned they couldn't get it working...if they've taken the plugin out that sucks! ;)

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hello paul

Is it Wi-Fi enabled?

Orange have announced it (sort of!)Ā  - Have they indicated when it will be available to order, either via their website/shops or other retailers?

Being similar in shape/style to the C500 is it slightly smaller / less "chunky" than the C550?

How does it compare in looks / style to the SP5 etc.?

Many thanks

It does NOT have WiFi!

Availability is, according to Orange, end of October, which is any time now by my reckoning!

It definitely feels much less 'chunky' than a C550... more like a slightly-filled-out C500 :D

It is a totally different style to the SP5 really... SP5 is kinda curvy, C600 is, like the C500, quite angular ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Wifi or not?

Does most of the applications/games you have works with it?

Within the limits of what works with the C550, yes... if an application has issues with QVGA, of course that will apply to the C600.

Applications that access PIM data (such as tasks and calendar) need to be updated to Windows Mobile 5 compatability, but I believe pretty much all the vendors of such products are on the case (e.g. there is a Windows Mobile 5 beta of DeveloperOne Power Tasks already).

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Does it have the orange plugin in it?

IE. Does it work with homescreens such as THIS? Does the dock work?

Because someone with a c600 on nectun mentioned they couldn't get it working...if they've taken the plugin out that sucks! ;)

I will test the plugin shortly.

What do you mean by dock?

The device fits both the C500 and C550 docks sold at the MoDaCo Shop, and even fits the Brodit C500 holder (yay!)

P

Guest dazza12

This will also depend on your PC. Most modern PCs refuse to let a device draw power from a port unless a driver is installed, in order to protect the PC.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.