TomTom Mobile on c600?

Guest eyup

daft question time - is there an official patch for TomTom Mobile and not the "5" version to allow running on QVGA screens?

Dont suppose the patch available will work with either program? Anyone tried?

Thanks

Guest stattman

Hi,

I@v ejust upgraded to C600, and get the same problem. Click "Browse Map" and then crashes to Home Screen. I thought it might have been the map, so I went back to a previous one, but still the same thign happened, although interestingly less frequently.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gutbobs
Hi,

I@v ejust upgraded to C600, and get the same problem. Click "Browse Map" and then crashes to Home Screen. I thought it might have been the map, so I went back to a previous one, but still the same thign happened, although interestingly less frequently.

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm getting this too. Have you had any luck in fixing it?

Guest awarner [MVP]

With TomTom all you need to do is copy the files from the SD card to your miniSD and then insert the card in your phone and start your phone up.

There is no install required for TomTom for the Smartphone unless you need the 5.2 update and in that case all you then need to do is run the update on your PC with the phone connected.

Guest louisg
With TomTom all you need to do is copy the files from the SD card to your miniSD and then insert the card in your phone and start your phone up.

There is no install required for TomTom for the Smartphone unless you need the 5.2 update and in that case all you then need to do is run the update on your PC with the phone connected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

Any idea of card size needed? also do you need the gprs unit that tom tom sells?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Quenotte
Back again with more problems on the TomTom Front!

Has anyone had a problem that TomTom Crashes on their C600 phone, when you search for a POI.

It is from a cold boot, so no other applications running.

Program memory free over 20MB with TomTom running.

TomTom Works fine in normal mode. i.e. will navigate home, navigate to favourite, worn when near POI.

But if I search for a POI i.e. select browse map, find, poi, restaurant. The search screen comes up with "one moment please”, locks, and after about 5 seconds it crashes back to the home screen. (or any screen that was last up) If you look in task manager, TomTom has died.

This sometimes happens when I just start Brows map.

Then you have to reboot the phone for TomTom to work again, as I think it has locked up the bluetooth stack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tomtom crashes are related with POI. All you need to do is to regenerate the POI.DAT file located in your map folder.

To perform this, you will need some tools created by Laurent Licour: http://www.licour.com

You will need to extract the pois, edit one file, and recreate the POI.DAT file.

http://www.licour.com/gps/extract_ttpoi/extract_ttpoi.htm

http://www.licour.com/gps/create_ttpoi/create_ttpoi.htm

Tools are developed in Perl, so you will need for example ActivePerl, or cygwin perl,...

First, extract_ttpoi.pl will extract tomtom pois to a floder.

perl extract_ttpoi.pl -f c:\poi.dat -w c:\tomtom\poi\ -a -o -l -d
Once it's done, you will have to edit the poi.lst file located in thes folder where you extract the poi (c:\tomtom\poi\poi.lst in our example). You will have to replace all occurences of ".poi" by ".ov2" in poi.lst file Do not forget to save poi.lst file ;) Next, you need to recreate the POI.DAT file Copy the create_ttpoi.pl file to the expanded folder (ie c:\tomtom\poi\create_ttpoi.pl in our example) Move to the expanded folder :
C:

cd c:\tomtom\poi
And launch create_ttpoi.pl :
perl create_ttpoi.pl -i poi.lst -o ../POI.DAT -v

Then, you will have to copy c:\tomtom\POI.DAT to your tomtom map folder.

That's all folks !!! No more tomtom crashes with pois ;)

Edited by Quenotte

Guest awarner [MVP]
also do you need the gprs unit that tom tom sells?

There is no option to what GPS to buy as TomTom for the Smartphone is only sold with it's own GPS unit so looking at other makes is pointless.

Guest mrpearson
Tomtom crashes are related with POI. All you need to do is to regenerate the POI.DAT file located in your map folder.

To perform this, you will need some tools created by Laurent Licour: http://www.licour.com

You will need to extract the pois, edit one file, and recreate the POI.DAT file.

http://www.licour.com/gps/extract_ttpoi/extract_ttpoi.htm

http://www.licour.com/gps/create_ttpoi/create_ttpoi.htm

Tools are developed in Perl, so you will need for example ActivePerl, or cygwin perl,...

First, extract_ttpoi.pl will extract tomtom pois to a floder.

perl extract_ttpoi.pl -f c:\poi.dat -w c:\tomtom\poi\ -a -o -l -d
Once it's done, you will have to edit the poi.lst file located in thes folder where you extract the poi (c:\tomtom\poi\poi.lst in our example). You will have to replace all occurences of ".poi" by ".ov2" in poi.lst file Do not forget to save poi.lst file ;) Next, you need to recreate the POI.DAT file
perl create_ttpoi.pl -i c:\tomtom\poi\poi.lst -o c:\tomtom\poi\POI.DAT -v

Then, you will have to copy c:\tomtom\poi\POI.DAT to your tomtom map folder.

That's all folks !!! No more tomtom crashes with pois ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

I am having a bit of trouble trying to get the create_ttpoi.pl running with the above command as I am really not too sure what I am doing re: Perl.

So far I have:

1) Installed Active Perl on my PC

2) Saved the extract_ttpoi.pl and create_ttpoi.pl to my C:/tomtom folder

3) I have run perl c:\tomtom\extract_ttpoi.pl -f c:\poi.dat -w c:\tomtom\poi\ -a -o -l -d from my windows run menu which seemed to extract the file ok.

4) I have then replaced all .poi extensions with .ov2 as per the post above.

4) I then try to run perl c:\tomtom\create_ttpoi.pl -i c:\tomtom\poi\poi.lst -o c:\tomtom\poi\POI.DAT -v but nothing happens.

Am I running the perl script incorrectly ? or is there something wrong with the script I have used? Sorry this is probably really simple to solve, but I am having no joy and would like to get TomTom working properly on my c600.

thanks

Guest Hitman_botelle

mrpearson

I had the same problem, but if you copy the "create_ttpoi.pl" file into the expanded folder and run the command from the expanded folder it works.

i.e.

copy "create_ttpoi.pl" into c:\tomtom\poi

then change directory to - c:\tomtom\poi

then run

Hope this helps

I have just done a quick test and it seems to cure the problem.

Many Thanks Quenotte

Guest mrpearson
mrpearson

I had the same problem, but if you copy the "create_ttpoi.pl" file into the expanded folder and run the command from the expanded folder it works.

i.e.

then run

Hope this helps

Many Thanks Quenotte

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, works perfectly.

Just a quick note for others, you cannot run the script from the run menu using a virtual path to the perl application file. You need to actually run the script from the CMD screen and first change directories as suggested by hitman and then run the script.

Guest Quenotte
mrpearson

i.e.

then run

Hope this helps

Many Thanks Quenotte

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right... I ommit ca... and it was in my script...

cd France_Plus_632

perl ../create_ttpoi.pl -i poi.lst -o ../Final/POI.DAT -v

cd ..

The current directory must be the expanded folder ;)

I've updated the tutorial ;)

Edited by Quenotte

Guest Dectomax
You're right... I ommit ca... and it was in my script...

cd France_Plus_632

perl ../create_ttpoi.pl -i poi.lst -o ../Final/POI.DAT -v

cd ..

The current directory must be the expanded folder ;)

I've updated the tutorial ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Dectomax

Hi can anybody help?

I am getting tomtom 5 crashing on my C600 back to the home screen when I access POI's, as others in this thread seem to be. Interestingly, if I drop in an old poi.dat from tomtom 3 it works fine :??: Iam trying the above solution but I get this when trying to extract the poi.dat file. I've tried it with two different poi.dat files and neither worked. What am I doing wrong?

I am using ActivePerl.

The following was done in a 'command' window under XP.

Microsoft® Windows DOS

©Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\>perl c:\tomtom\extract_ttpoi.pl -f c:\poi.dat -w c:\tomtom\poi\ -a -o -l -d

Converting POI.DAT file

Nb categories : 45

syswrite() on closed filehandle OUT at c:\tomtom\extract_ttpoi.pl line 1288.

Use of uninitialized value in numeric ne (!=) at c:\tomtom\extract_ttpoi.pl line

Error : bad POI format (excpected 21539 bytes for c:\tomtom\poi\/RÚparations aut

omobiles.poi)

Thanks.

Guest Dectomax
Hi can anybody help?

I am getting tomtom 5 crashing on my C600 back to the home screen when I access POI's, as others in this thread seem to be.  Interestingly, if I drop in an old poi.dat from tomtom 3 it works fine :??:  Iam trying the above solution but I get this when trying to extract the poi.dat file. I've tried it with two different poi.dat files and neither worked. What am I doing wrong?

I am using ActivePerl.

The following was done in a 'command' window under XP.

Microsoft® Windows DOS

©Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\>perl c:\tomtom\extract_ttpoi.pl -f c:\poi.dat -w c:\tomtom\poi\ -a -o -l -d

Converting POI.DAT file

Nb categories : 45

Use of uninitialized value in numeric ne (!=) at c:\tomtom\extract_ttpoi.pl line

Error : bad POI format (excpected 21539 bytes for c:\tomtom\poi\/RÚparations aut

omobiles.poi)

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, after a lot of messing about, I have worked out how to do it. Firstly, if you want to have the Poi's on your phone in English, you must edit extract_ttpoi.pl and find the following lines:-

my ($file_poi, $dir);

my ($version, $help);

my $lang = "fr"; # french

Then, change these lines to this :-

my ($file_poi, $dir);

my ($version, $help);

my $lang = "us"; # english

Save the file in basic text format as 'extract_ttpoi.pl'. Now carry on as outlined above **BUT** the folder where you want to extract the poi's to MUST exist BEFORE you begin the extraction. Eg. If you use the following command:-

perl extract_ttpoi.pl -f c:\tomtom\poi.dat -w c:\tomtom\poi\ -a -o -l -d

Make sure that "c:\tomtom\poi\" folder exists before you begin. Otherwise the function in the Perl script "syswrite()" fails to keep open a File Handle and closes prematurely. I don't know if this is just a feature of using Win XP :??: As the script progresses, it throws up this error:-

omobiles.poi)

Another tip as mentioned above, is to copy create_ttpoi.pl into the \poi\ folder to create the poi.dat file.

Happy navigating. ;)

Guest spiderman23

Could anyone help me with this procedure for the german poi.dat?

Maybe i could send it to you and you repair it for me :roll:

That would be great

Ahh and.... Sorry for my bad english...

Guest sisniper

Guys

I have tomtom 5.2 on a c600, and I have 2 issues, the GPS receiver isnt seen (Im using a Holux 236slim as my tomtom receivers been stolen).

and

When I do get it working tomtom seems to crash and chucks me back to the menu, after which I get it the above problem.

restarting the phone and gps sometimes allows me to restart and reuse the app.

Please help as tomtom support are very slow in getting back to emails.

Ive had no problems in the past running this on my c500

thanks

Simon

Guest mrpearson
Guys

I have tomtom 5.2 on a c600, and I have 2 issues, the GPS receiver isnt seen (Im using a Holux 236slim as my tomtom receivers been stolen).

and

When I do get it working tomtom seems to crash and chucks me back to the menu, after which I get it the above problem.

restarting the phone and gps sometimes allows me to restart and reuse the app.

Please help as tomtom support are very slow in getting back to emails.

Ive had no problems in the past running this on my c500

thanks

Simon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a lot of problems when i first installed Tom Tom 5.2 on my C600 after using it fine on my C500.

When you have the AKU2 update installed I have found that if bluetooth is switched off on the phone, then TomTom will hang. I have never had a problem when bluetooth is running on the phone.

One annoying thing I have noticed is that when you exit Tom Tom is that it stops bluetooth services and changes your profile settings so that backlight never turns off...

There are also lots of other things you shoud do contained within this thread which also help.... eg.. Tom Tom folder, Navigator File, Recreate POI file etc.

But i am pretty sure the bluetooth update does cause some instability with Tom Tom

• 1 month later...
Guest phunni

I've been reading through this thread with interest as I've been thinking of upgrading to a C600 from my C500 and Tom Tom compatibility is the main issue for me...

It seems like it might be problematic at best - is it worth my upgrading to the C600 and struggling to get tom tom to work, or should I stick with the C500 and have reliable GPS?

Guest jutley

well if you find my post on here tomtom 5.20 by jutley i assure you your spv c600 will run tomtom 5.20 perfectly once you have read my post all the others have been succesfull why not try it.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest phunni

If you mean the one about switching bluetooth on before tomtom, then I will give it a try.

It's a bit of a pain to have to do this though - hopefully tomtom will bring out a fix soon...

• 1 month later...
Guest barfoo

I am trying to extract the ov2s from my poi.dat, and I have gotten through everything else, except that when I run it, it says this:

D:\tomtom>C:\perl\bin\perl extract_ttpoi.pl -f D:\tomtom\poi.dat -w D:\poi\ -a -o -l -d

Converting POI.DAT file

Nb categories : 62

Can't locate object method "flush" via package "IO::Handle" at extract_ttpoi.pl

line 1328.

Found : (7310) Car Repair Facility

It creates files, but they are all .poi and there is no lst file or anything other than the files.

• 2 months later...