eTrust Antivirus annoyance on SP5

Guest Kinch

Should I get the unbranded but HIGH speed 1GB mini-sd card Moby Memory do with a free card reader for £58, or the branded Sandisk 1GB one that isn't listed as high speed, for £48 with free card reader??? :

I went for the high speed one just in case in the future i make an app that needs to write vast amounts of data to the phone. Its mostly usefull if you need to buffer data and there isnt enough RAM to do that. Also if mpeg2 were possible (or made possible) normal SD cards would be too slow to capture it. In theory taking pictures should be faster too, but in practice thats buffered to RAM before writing to the SDcard for high res pics.

Its a weak reason, especially for the average user, so i can perfectly understand why someone would get a normal card. From a technical standpoint alot of app processors won't make good use of high speed cards anyway. The interface from the camera etc is the bottle neck, even with these new 'mailbox' interfaces.

From my recolection the 4mb limit has been around for a while. I suspect WM5 tries to guestimate what's a safe free storage limit and decides that MMS isnt important enough to risk infringing on the 4MB line they've drawn.

Antivirus is a waste of time on smartphone right now. I can count the number of virus's on one hand. It would be usefull to scan emails, but then exe's atached to emails wouldn't run on a smartphone anyway.. also the signature files would be huge!

I'm still waiting for expansys to deliver my sp5, but can anyone tell me what the highest video recording res is in mpeg4?

I expected it to be 320x240 like the new samsungs, but i'm reading its not. In that case does anyone know the camer module used in the SP5? I might try to create my own driver for it.

Guest chrisc28
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Microsoft didn't supply the MMS client, but it was an addition by the vendor?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The MMS client is as usual, supplied by Arcsoft.

Guest shadamehr
The MMS client is as usual, supplied by Arcsoft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mmm - forgot about that fact - but reading between the lines here, it sounds like it's NOT the MMS app (for once) that is at fault, but the base OS for not letting it do something very simple and small, just becuase it 'only' has 4MB of memory left free.

A hard one to call perhaps.

Whatever the case, the buck should still stop with Microsoft for STILL, by the advent of Windows Mobile 5.0, not getting MMS to be part of the base OS like SMS messaging is.

We now have these snazzy phones and Pocket PC's, with basic support for Caller ID pics now inbuilt in the contacts app, and they therefore show a mini pic against your SMS messages and received Emails too now - which is a lot more handy than it sounds.

But NOT displayed against MMS messages though because this is STILL a clumsy third party bolt on application.

Microsoft... LISTEN... people might use MMS a LOT less than SMS (and from some of the comments on here, some people wouldn't touch it EVER *lol*), but by 2005, sending an MMS is a basic, inherit, and hand in hand function of what a phone DOES>

So please stop treating MMS as an optional extra.

If I have a mobile phone of ANY sort in 2005, I expect MMS to be basic fundemantal feature of it. So please, start seeing it the same way yourself, will you?

Thanks.

/end rant mode.

Guest chrisc28

Look on the bright side, Windows Mobile 6.0 will solve ALL your current problems. Of course, by then, people will start looking for new, cooler features that Symbian phones can support out of the box such as a Microsoft Office application suite, UPnP Mass Storage functionality, etc, etc.

My guess is that WM is meant to be a basic platform whereby all additional features can be implemented through 3rd party applications. So, Microsoft expects us to buy the phone with a "basic" OS (with minimal 3rd party applications), then separately purchase additional software for our needs. The same applies for your PC as you still buy a ton of productivity software. Unfortunately, developers seem more interested in the PPC and Series 60 platforms as they form a bigger user base. Now that there is Camera API (MMS APIs should be available since WM2003SE if I remember correctly), I expect interesting applications to be developed as in Series 60.

Nokia, on the other hand, has a different approach to this matter. It seems to form strategic tie-ins with developers and embed their software into the phones, so consumers buy the whole package. Looking at their sales, I would also rather develop applications for Series 60 or PPC rather than the Smartphone platform.

Guest shadamehr

Good point mate, but the thing is...

WM5.0 is designed as an OS that can be expanded and added to greatly, by third party developers etc, and pretty much that's how it comes 'out of the box'.

Symbian comes as a base OS that can ALSO be added to greatly by developers etc, BUT comes WITH a lot of these added, 'out of the box' - so to the end user, the features they see at start-up seem to BE part of the base OS.

And THAT is where Microsoft is falling down in a very mojor way over the Symbian OS - not it's scalability and expandability, but the fact that so little of this HAS been done before the user gets the device, and maybe also because (as in the case of the MMS client that IS added), it is so 'removed' and seperate from the OS compared to applications on the Symbian device (hence no conformity or standardisation, such as the Caller Display images).

MS need to 'add more' (in house to the OS, or third party) BEFORE releasing to HTC and then Carriers, unlike the process they use now where it is up to the Carriers to decide etc.

And they need to ensure third party apps are seemlessly integrated into the base OS.

Anyhow...

/note to Paul, Ash, and other Mods... Can I have award for the most Off Topic posts in a single thread ever? Given that this started off about the antivirus stuff, and has now covered everything from Netwrok Settings, to Symbian OS, to Microsoft issues now.

Surely that gets me a telling off?

Anyhow...

/note to Paul, Ash, and other Mods...  Can I have award for the most Off Topic posts in a single thread ever? Given that this started off about the antivirus stuff, and has now covered everything from Netwrok Settings, to Symbian OS, to Microsoft issues now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

umm maybe at the next modaco meet you could meet ash's furry slippers ;) :D

on the other side of things how many threads stay on topic here :| not many :D

Guest chrisc28
Good point mate, but the thing is...

WM5.0 is designed as an OS that can be expanded and added to greatly, by third party developers etc, and pretty much that's how it comes 'out of the box'.

Symbian comes as a base OS that can ALSO be added to greatly by developers etc, BUT comes WITH a lot of these added, 'out of the box' - so to the end user, the features they see at start-up seem to BE part of the base OS.

And THAT is where Microsoft is falling down in a very mojor way over the Symbian OS - not it's scalability and expandability, but the fact that so little of this HAS been done before the user gets the device, and maybe also because (as in the case of the MMS client that IS added), it is so 'removed' and seperate from the OS compared to applications on the Symbian device (hence no conformity or standardisation, such as the Caller Display images).

MS need to 'add more' (in house to the OS, or third party) BEFORE releasing to HTC and then Carriers, unlike the process they use now where it is up to the Carriers to decide etc.

And they need to ensure third party apps are seemlessly integrated into the base OS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See, there really isn't enough incentives for developers to move into the Smartphone platform. It will take time before the Smartphone platform catches up with Symbian. To start it off, we need to convince people that brand names aren't really everything. I can tell you brands do play a major role. If HP and Samsung start releasing really interesting devices, the platform will take off in no time. The i300 isn't really encouraging. What I meant is devices in the line of Nokia's N70, 6680, etc that people actually relate to. Mass market devices, not some niche product. I reckon WM5.0 is stable enough for the average user. I think we're pretty much geeky people (I am), so I certainly don't find any problem having to deal with registry edits and the like, but my mom certainly won't go into such troubles.

I'm contradicting myself again.....

Sorry, mods for being off topic again!

Guest roma0803
/note to Paul, Ash, and other Mods...  Can I have award for the most Off Topic posts in a single thread ever? Given that this started off about the antivirus stuff, and has now covered everything from Netwrok Settings, to Symbian OS, to Microsoft issues now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He does anything to get his last star.... :mrgreen:

Guest shadamehr

OK - Here's me right..

I have 379 Contacts in my phone, some with multiple fields etc. Around 30 of them have a small caller ID picture set too (the base image is located on Storage Card, but I would bet my house that when you choose the image to assign, the phone creates a compressed and cached database table version of the image in phone memory somewhere too). I have an extensive Calendar, with many items in, and this in itself now measures 1.55 (it was over 3MB on first sync, but subsequent syncs somehow have reduced it down).

I have put the O2 cab settings on, as well as MANUALLY putting back the i-mate wallpapers and homescreens.

I have about EIGHT of kleinwieder's QVGA homescreen themes installed (cheers mate, they are great, but lets have more - also, when you gonna answer your Emails?), and these ARE on phone memory. I have installed an App called PhotoCoaster, and also Orneta Notepad - both to Storage Card, but it seems ALL apps add a SMALL amount of code or data to actual phone storage no matter where you choose as the full storage location.

I also have the Right Key application 'installed' but this is in fact just an .exe file in itself, that can be kept on the Storage Card.

And with the situation like that, I have:

Storage Memory: 17.95 MB

Used: 7.53 MB

Free: 10.42 MB

Program Memory: 45.06 MB

Used: 24.24 MB

Free: 20.82 MB

Storage Card: 976.11 MB

Used: 414.33 MB

Free 561.78 MB

So, that still seems a lot of room free.

Edited by shadamehr

Guest roma0803
(...)

but I would bet my house that when you choose the image to assign, the phone creates a compressed and cached database table version of the image in phone memory somewhere too). 

Correct. Delete the images from your card and the contacts still have pictures assigned to them

Storage Memory: 17.95 MB

Used: 7.53 MB

Free: 10.42 MB

Program Memory: 45.06 MB

Used: 24.24 MB

Free: 20.82 MB

Storage Card: 976.11 MB

Used: 414.33 MB

Free 561.78 MB

So, that still seems a lot of room free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems this ROM does leave more memory to play with. With a full sync my pim.vol would be around the 5.5MB. Just synchronizing the last 6 months leaves me, including my extensive contacts database, with around 3.5MB. I uninstalled the AV-program which got me another 2+MB but still at most 6.5MB free.

I think I'm convinced this ROM is more memoryfriendly compared to the WWE ROM. Will flash in the near future when I'm finished betatesting some programs for developers.

Guest shadamehr

Further to the Support Query I raised with i-mate about the 4MB to MMS issue, and the O2 cab file being wrong, I got this reply back yesterday folks:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail of November 09, 2005. We would like to thank you for raising the issue of requiring 4 Mb ROM to send and receive MMS messages.

We are currently working with our MMS software provider, Arcsoft Inc., in order to identify the root cause. The memory management of the Windows Mobile 5.0 devices is different to that of 2003 Second Edition devices - hence why this issue is not seen on the previous generation of Smartphones. We are looking to provide an update to the MMS client in a forthcoming upgrade.

As for the cab file for O2 operator settings, we are in the process of correcting this and will be placing it live on the website www.clubimate.com on Wednesday 16th November.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Srushti Ghisad

Technical Operations Engineer

i-mate™

The 4MB I will take with a pinch of salt - I'll be fairly surprised if we do see a ROM update to resolve it.

But at least the O2 cab is to be changed from this Wednesday folks.

Kinch, did you EVER get MMS to work, or a reply back from i-mate about it?

on my old c550 i cannot mms with less than 4mb storage , did not know that till my sd card was full and i used the storage space.so the mms problem is not only a sp5 problem but a smartphone problem,we probably would not have found out this if it was not for imates xtra software as normally we install everything to the sd card ;-)

Hi all!

I've a Qtek 8310

http://www.qtek.nu/europe/products/8310.aspx

And as you can see, it's the same phone as you ppl have as "I-mate SP5" ;)

I can just tell you guys, that I got the same problem when sending or receiving MMS, if I have less than 4Mb of free space storage. When releasing some memory, then it works again.

Will see how and WHEN they fix that bug! :evil:

I got my phone last week, and the version of the operating system is "1.5.321.2" wich is older than the one you have at I-mate wich is "1.5.331.4". At "Qtek", they haven't release the latest update. Does any one have the binaries to upgrade the phone? I doubt I can register at I-mate to download the update, since at "clubimate" you're requiered to enter the IMEI nr (as you when registering on the Qtek site) and my phone is not provided by i-mate. But as I said, it's the SAME phone wich means i-mate sp5 upgrade should work on the qtek 8310 :D

Btw, I can tip you about a good review on the phone. Something interesting to read, specially if you are thinking of getting this phone.

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/htc-tornado-en.shtml

Regards

JC

--

Stockholm

Sweden

If you want to keep the antivirus and games but gain the storage memory do as i did download the software pack and install it to the sd card now search in program files and look for CDL there you find all the cab files which you can install to the sd card, the antivirus warns not to install onto the sd card but it works and you can gain back the memory without loosing the storage space :) the CDL folder also contains the imate background as well :D