Gmail Problems

Guest zero_divide_1

Guest zero_divide_1

Hello all,

Okay, so this question has been asked several times, but I assure you I've searched the forums and still haven't had any luck with the solutions posted. I'm trying to access Gmail on my Qtek 9100 for work (I set up an entirely new account just for it) using the built-in Messaging application (Pocket Outlook or whatever). I've entered all the settings correctly, turned on POP on Gmail (I know it works because I can receive mail), but I have a problem with sending test emails. I have put pop.gmail.com:995 and smtp.gmail.com:465 for the incoming and outgoing mail server address, respectively, but it still has problems. All the authentication settings are set correctly, but the sucker doesn't seem to want to send email. Anybody got any ideas?

Btw, I have also tried removing and adding the account again and it still doesn't work.

I know it's not a solution to the problems you're having, but have you tried gmail via the web interface? I use it on both an SP3 and an iMate Jam, and it works pretty well on both - not perfect, but good enough.

Also, to refresh the web page (ie check for new email) is quicker, I finf, than doing a send/receive on a pop account!

Guest zero_divide_1
Have you configured it to use SSL for the outgoing connection ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and to no avail. Why does Gmail have to make it so difficult for people on-the-go to use?

Normally for pop email (via GPRS anyway), you'd have to use the SMTP server of your phone network to send, but I know gmail isn't anywhere near that easy, and there are threads on here somewhere in the past where people have been trying to get it working!

Hence why I stick with the web interface - much easier!

Guest mthomas50

I have GMAIL set up on my M5000 in Pocket Outlook without any problems.

I Ran thru the wizard to add a new POP account, typed in the email address, username and password. Then put in pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com for the server addresses then ticked the SSL box and left the other settings as they are.

I have successfully sent and received Gmail though it like this.

Does this not work for you? What error do you get?

Guest MitchellO

I too am successfully using Gmail with the builtin Messaging client. I think one of the previous posters may be correct in saying you may have to use your providers SMTP server to send mail. I used to, but my internet and GPRS providers both support other servers now. If you are using GPRS/EDGE you may need to call your operator to get this. If it is home broadband over wifi you need to ask your ISP.

Cheers! This was posted from my K-JAM!! ;)