vario resetting itself? then crashing

Guest alphac5

Guest alphac5

found that over the last 48 hours since getting my phone, my phone has been switching itself off and crashing in the t mobile boot up screen, locking up when waking up from standy and generally taking its time on loading some programs, reset the phone and still getting these problems, anyone else

i have locked all keys and activated power button to wake it up and added a pin number

Guest Pondrew

I would recommend hard resetting it and then if the problems still occur get T-Mobile to replace it as a faulty unit. To hard reset I believe you have to press both softkeys while using the stylus in the reset hole.

Seem to remember someone mentioning that their HTC Wizard, albeit under the K-Jam branding, did the same and that a hard reset resolved it.

Guest MitchellO

Yeah, first try a hard reset. Could just be a bad app. What have you got installed?

Also, I'm not sure if it is the same with the Vario, but with the K-JAM, after a hard reset it installes several programs that dramatically slow the device down. This installation happens after the WM5 "copy/paste" tutorial. When you see it come up, soft reset to prevent it running.

I would recommend hard resetting it and then if the problems still occur get T-Mobile to replace it as a faulty unit. To hard reset I believe you have to press both softkeys while using the stylus in the reset hole.

Hard reset is press and hold top two side buttons (Comm Manager and Voice Rec), and press soft reset once with Stylus.

Then keep hold of top two buttons for about 5 seconds until text warning appears on screen

The press Send (green key).

Or, just use the Clear All program in Settings - it does the same thing (dangerous if you let other people play with your phone!).

Edited by Metoo

Guest Phil Lee

Mine has been doing something similar since I got it yesterday. I think it may be down to a specific app I've installed. I did a hard reset this morning, synced and installed AvantGo, Pocket Informant 2005 and TCPMP. I suspect, and I must stress I have no evidence to back this up, that it is Pocket Informant that is causing the problem. My phone reset itself just now for the first time after the hard reset. I'm going to leave it alone this morning (I'm in a meeting) and see if it resets itself again. If it does I'm going to do a hard reset and install just TCPMP and AvantGo and try again.

Edited by Phil Lee

Guest alphac5

still done it yesterday and done another hard reset this morning, instaled the basics, skype and details added for msn.

when i done the hard reset i soft reset before the t mobile junk kicked it self in (just after the introduction of the phone) this seems to have speeded up the phone and made all run a bit smoother

lets see what happens from here

already spoken to t mobile about the problems and getting the phone swapped over, as suspected they got none in stock at the mo and waiting for them to come back into stock before i take the matter further

Guest alphac5

since not letting the t mobile software install today the system has not crashed, however this means that the mms and other services have not been installed, so it looks likethe t mobile software causing the fault, gonna ask for a replacement tomorrow and see how that goes

Guest Pondrew
Yeah, as I thought, the Vario installs a bunch of junk too. glad that helped a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about the patches and bugfixes that are included in the extended rom?!

Guest MitchellO

I have had my K-JAM softreset itself several times today, have no idea why. I have removed Skype 1.2 beta, as it keeps asking something about it (and still is), so I will see how i go. Think I will hard reset and reload only the apps I have confirmed working.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is very similar to my woes, so far.

I'm beginning to suspect that installing 3rd party apps that weren't designed, specifically, for WM5, might not be "healthy" for my Vario.

Been through about 5 hard resets, so far, which i've been forced to do, after the Vario locking/freezing on the boot screens (either the initial T-Mobile one with the 5 lines of O/S loading, or the Windows bluescreen). All of the hard resets have been after installing 3rd party apps.

Have installed Total Commander, as suggested, and had a peek in the extended_rom, but there's no obvious sign of any AntiVirus in there, so am guessing T-Mobile ditched it along with Skype.

My problems, resulting in being forced to hard reset, only seem to come about once I power off the Vario. If I leave it on, it seems fine. Though this isn't a realistic proposition in the long term, as, eventually, i'll have to power off for a flight, or something.

So, so far I'm beginning to suspect that Spb Pocket Plus and/or TCPMP aren't liked by my Vario, but that it only obkects after powering off then back on again, at which point hard reset....

Anybody else actually installed any of these apps on a Vario AND powered off and on again, yet?

Woe is me.

Guest MitchellO

SPB Pocket Plus has a problem with the "Safe Mode" option in the settings. After installing it, go into the SPB settings and take the tick out of the box for Safe Mode. That should fix the boot problem.

SPB Pocket Plus has a problem with the "Safe Mode" option in the settings. After installing it, go into the SPB settings and take the tick out of the box for Safe Mode. That should fix the boot problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duuuuuude! It was said a couple of days ago, and i'll second it, you are a (damn, where's that smiley for star)!

Have just rebooted twice with apps installed and problem fixed! :)

Woe is not me!

Many thanks MitchellO!

Guest Phil Lee

Skype is very beta at the moment. Chat barely works and voice was very dodgy on my Vario. After my hard reset on Wednesday I didn't bother to reinstall it. I think I'll leave it til the software is a bit more stable. On the plus side, my phone has been very stable since I stopped installing and removing trail apps and settled on the ones I actually used.

I've not tried Skype and, for the reasons stated, won't be doing at the moment.

However, I've had absolutely no problems since following MitchellO's suggestion of disabling the safe mode in Spb Pocket Plus.

Guest adchaffey
I've not tried Skype and, for the reasons stated, won't be doing at the moment.

However, I've had absolutely no problems since following MitchellO's suggestion of disabling the safe mode in Spb Pocket Plus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool.

Looks like I'll leave skype off for now then...

Shame though!

• 3 months later...
Guest zealerc

alphac5,

Could you do a hard reset without installing any other software except the built-in-software (junk), and observe it whether any crashing/switching itself off is happened for 1/2 day. Otherwise, it would be a software conflict happened in your device before. And while observing your device, do not let it be over-charged as well. :??: