Sonorix Bluetooth Headphones ROCK! GET THESE!

Guest Austin519

Guest Austin519

Wanted to let everyone know I've been on a quest for a good set of bluetooth headphones for some time, because I use my phone as an iPod while I workout. After a long long search, and emailing Mr. Choi at Openbrain a few times, I finally got ahold of a pair of Sonorix OBH-0110 headphones that they're now selling for $150. Link here: http://www.sonorix.com/eng/product/product_obh0110.php (there's an order button on there).

I will have to say...THIS IS ONE OF THE ABSOLUTE BEST TECH PURCHASES I HAVE EVER MADE.

I was checking out a bunch of comparable headphones...

HP Bluetooth headphones: quality issues, no analog audio adapter

Logitech headphones: proprietary bluetooth won't let you sync directly from the headphone

Bluetake and others: look like crap, aren't good to work out with, etc.

I've been eyeing the OBH-0110's for awhile, and they were worth the wait. Here's what I can use them for:

-Connected via bluetooth (A2DP) to my desktop or laptop to listen to music and control Windows Media Player

-Connected via bluetooth to my Audiovox SMT 5600 for mono audio through both earphones for music from Windows Media Player

-Connected via bluetooth to my Audiovox SMT 5600 with an attached USB mic for headset capability

-Connected via the USB/analog 3.5mm adapter to my home stereo to listen to TV from anywhere in the house

What should catch your eye is the USB mic that comes with this thing to use as a headset and the audio adapter to plug into the home stereo. If I'm on the treadmill running with these things on, and I want to make a call or am expecting a call, I plug in the mic and can answer or make a call, then go back to listening to my music (I'm using the Bluetunes program to turn off Cdial.exe to do this). On top of all that, these things are insanely small and fold in three places, so they fit in my pocket easily, and don't make me look like a yuppie wearing them.

As with all Bluetooth stuff, I wish the range was better. I'm getting about 20 feet or so through a wall though, which isn't bad.

Two things to note:

1) the audio quality on my SMT 5600 isn't great because it isn't A2DP and if that's a huge deal for you, you may want to go with the corded buds that come with it. For me, not having a cord was a bigger deal, so I went with these. But with the newest version of our smartphones from HTC coming out with A2DP support, I see this as a good investment too. And if it's that big of a deal (and you don't care about the headset capability) you can always bring the (extremely small) audio adapter with you and just plug that into the phone directly for good stereo sound

2) the band around the headset is a *bit* small for me, and I don't have a particularly huge head, so when I turn my head to the right or left it pulls the headphones off my ears just a bit.

Basically, so far, this is one of the only *perfect* electronic item I've bought in awhile technology wise. To be the most perfect item ergonomically too they need to add a bit of length to the band or make it adjustable, but it's still VERY worth buying. I'm testing the battery life on it now running it continuously, and I'll let you guys know about that as soon as I run it dead ;). So far I'm at two hours and going strong.

I've taken pictures of the headset and am hosting them on my webspace (www.austintacious.net). They're all below, if the site goes down it'll be back up shortly...

CIMG1659.JPG

CIMG1660.JPG

CIMG1661.JPG

CIMG1662.JPG

CIMG1663.JPG

CIMG1664.JPG

CIMG1665.JPG

Austin519

I dont know how the headphones work but Ive never been so impressed by any other click to enlarge images on any other site!! ;)

Im getting a pair. Good pickup

Guest UniqueTouch

Sorry, I forgot to ask...what is the audio quality like for music on these headphones?

Very interested in getting these to replaced the crap corded handfree that came with my sp5.

Thanks

Guest GordonTGopher

I thought the A2DP profile was missing from the WM5 bluetooth stack, have i got it wrong or has someone found a way of adding a new stack??

Stereo from my mobile would be great!

Gordon

Guest Austin519

Paul:

Honestly I think it'd be worth it to do...I can't yet tell you about long term wear but the construction looks and feels very solid. I could've sworn that the Qtek 8310 version said it had A2DP...that sucks that it doesn't ;).

UniqueTouch:

Over my 5600 SMT's bluetooth 1.1, about like AM radio. Over the dongle that comes with it...extremely good.

Austin519

Guest Socrates

edit..

duh should have read closer.

So that dongle plugs into the 5600 without an adapter of any kind? Does the microphone work with it when plugged into the dongle?

Edited by Socrates

Guest Paul [MVP]

Yep, just ordered them! Bah!

Now for Sale, HP Bluetooth Stereo Headphones, mint, work fine with any device with A2DP (e.g. iPaq, Blue Angel or A2DP desktop)... I look after my gadgets, all acessories n bits included, including original box.

A snip at £30 + delivery...

;)

P

Guest Austin519

Socrates:

No and no. You'll still need a mini headphone to headphone cord (the one supplied is 3.5mm to 3.5mm, I bet you can either get a short adapter or even better a small cord that does mini headphone to 3.5mm for a dollar or so). The headset part doesn't work because you're just taking the stereo audio out. So you're going to have to choose between mono audio (headset quality) and headset capability or stereo audio and no headset capability. That's going to be the case with any headset though because of the bluetooth profiles of our phone.

Austin519

Guest Austin519

Socrates:

Not at all. It sure is. You can be listening to music and then if a call comes in it'll stop, switch to the headset, and when the call's over it'll go back.

In fact, ha GOOD CALL. Guess you don't have to choose. Just plug the dongle into the phone and now you got perfect stereo sound plus headset capability. Nice. Now definitely no other headset can do that! Too bad I can't add that to my first post.

Austin519

Edited by Austin519

Guest Socrates

THANKS AUSTIN. I'm totally getting one now.

This means that short of someone hacking in an A2DP protocol, this is as close to perfect as it gets.

BTW, I just had an email exchange with the manufacturer to ask the asme questions I just asked you (I'm impatient ;) ). These guys actually responded to my emails within MINUTES. That is impressive. Normally I'm used to waiting days, weeks, and even months to hear back.

Here is the email exchange (with some name edits for courtesy):

Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 9:47 PM

To: Socrates

Subject: Re: your inquiry

Dear Socrates,

Yes, when headset is connected to audio dongle and phone, on an incoming call, you will first hear bell ring from headset and if you press the MFB button once, you will enter into handsfree mode. At this moment, music will not be heard but it will keep playing in the background. This is because the audio dongle has been connected to audio device via stereo cable and such connection is analog in nature. We have newly posted information on our website under FAQ and there most of the questions related to usage can be found.

On 11/10/05, Socrates wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply.

You said: "You can connect headset to both audio dongle and phone."

Does that mean that you can receive incoming streams from both the dongle and the phone at the same time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 9:28 PM

To: Socrates

Subject: your inquiry

Dear Socrates,

Thanks for your message.

The audio dongle cannot be used with microphone, only for stereo audio streaming.

To use the microphone for voice functions, you have to use Bluetooth USB Adapter.

You can connect headset to both audio dongle and phone.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 2:20 PM

To: Sonorix

Subject: Questions.

I have some questions about the obh110.

1. Does the audio dongle work with the microphone?

If not, then,

2. Can you have the bluetooth dongle and a blutooth phone device paired to the headset at the same time and with an active connection to both at the same time?

Guest UniqueTouch
Over my 5600 SMT's bluetooth 1.1, about like AM radio.  Over the dongle that comes with it...extremely good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure what AM Radio sounds like...will it sound good for music on the move? As in compared to the standard ones that come with the sp5.

Thanks

Guest Austin519

Socrates:

I know, that stood out with me too. The guy handling my questions, Mr. Choi, knew what he was talking about and answered all my questions. And yes, short of adding A2DP this is as good as it gets.

UniqueTouch:

Well...it's scratchy and a bit quiet. With the dongle though it sounds crystal clear and loud, but it requires the dongle. But this is as good as you can get with our phones.

Austin519

Guest UniqueTouch

Thanks for the info Austin.

I think I might be tempted to order one...could be useful for when I'm in the gym having no wires to worry about.

How quiet is quiet? Also what's the dongle you mention?

Guest Austin519

Update on the battery life...I got 15 hours out of them at mid volume. Pretty damn good.

UniqueTouch:

The dongle comes with it, and quiet is...I'm not really sure how to quantify it. About half the volume the wired earphones that come with the phone can get to is the max that this thing can get to. But that's just the wireless. They can get loud as hell with the dongle.

Austin519

Guest UniqueTouch
Update on the battery life...I got 15 hours out of them at mid volume.  Pretty damn good.

UniqueTouch:

The dongle comes with it, and quiet is...I'm not really sure how to quantify it.  About half the volume the wired earphones that come with the phone can get to is the max that this thing can get to.  But that's just the wireless.  They can get loud as hell with the dongle.

Austin519

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet, I think that'll be fine for my needs until A2DP is released for WM5.

Mine have been shipped FedEx and are on the way ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you order yours from Paul?

Guest Paul [MVP]

Mine arrived today complete with UFO charging station and carry case.

First impressions.... very nice, but haven't tested yet as they're still charging.

;)

P