Gameboy emulator for SPV - ALPHA code

Guest spacemonkey

Guest spacemonkey

This thread is obsolete. Info on new version etc can be found here:

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=3631

OK, I have got a gameboy emulator working. It's a port of GnuBoy PocketPC which is GPL software.

WARNING - this is fairly alpha level code, it seems to run OK on my phone but I've had a few hangs which required a battery removal reboot to get the phone back on (these may have related to the development I was doing but don't blame me if it makes a mess).

OK... As it stands...

The emulator uses the following key layout, joystick pad gives you joystick controls. Left softkey is Button A, Right softkey is Button B, 1 is Start and 2 is Select. That's a mapping to every Gameboy hardware button. Back is quit.

It shows text above the softkeys while it's running, this text is irrelevant I just haven't sorted out what I'm doing with it yet.

On exit the state is automatically saved and on load the state is automatically loaded. This means it will reappear exactly as you left it. If for some reason you need to reset the game completely currently you can only do this be deleting the file Storage Cardromfile.000

When the phone rings or an alarm goes off or whatever external action happens Gnuboy will automatically save state and close down. I had problems initially that it would just keep on drawing the screen over the front of whatever other app came up.

It ONLY SUPPORTS 1 GAME AT A TIME. Get your gameboy or gameboy color rom and rename it to romfile.gbc - it will only work if you give it this exact name, and copy it to Storage Cardromfile.gbc - it will only work if it is in that location. If you are changing games delete the other romfile.??? files as they are game specific save files.

The file is here:

http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/gnuboy.html

This is very early days and limitation like one set of keys and one rom at a time are annoying, to do is:

Menus giving access to choosing a rom, reconfiguring keys and resetting the current ROM.

Hope this is enjoyable. I'm not really after supporting it too much just yet, I mainly wanted to give some of the keener individuals out there a chance to play. Feel free to post bugs and I may look at them if I have time.

Performance is fine for games like Pokemon and Zelda but for action games might not be so hot... I've got Pokemon Gold running on mine at the moment with no problems.

Guest jtsaint

THANKYOU THIS IS AMAZING

I am actually amazed - why? Because I can now play Jet Set Willy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the days of the C64 and spectrum! We must get a spectrum emulator cause we can then play spyhunter!

Well done it runs very quickly and is very playable. I am in your debt. Mightly impressed by your coding thanks.

Did i mention thanks

Guest spacemonkey

Step, by step:

1. Download gnuboy.exe

2. Download some gameboy rom (eg 'pokemon gold.gbc')

3. Rename the rom to romfile.gbc

4. Copy gnuboy.exe and romfile.gbc to Storage Card on your phone. They must go in this specific directory at this time

5. Create a shortcut to gnuboy.exe (you could always run it direct from all-explorer)

6. Play game

7. Don't be surprised if it hangs... if it does, remove battery, plug battery back in, hold down power button until Orange boot screen appears.