Video Playback/Encoding?

Guest Skilty

I always got great results using PocketDivx Encoder and Betaplayer on my M2000. This is not the case on the M5000, I've selected VGA device on the PocketDivx list but the playback is not good at all. I've had better results on my E200.

I thought I'd start a topic on what people are using to encode and watch videos on their M5000.

Or to see if there are any workarounds to get decent results on the device.

Guest shadamehr

From a SP5 SmartPhone perspective, I've exhausted loads of trials, and I have found unreservedly, that using .wmv, which should be the better option for the phone, if you encode in the new 320x240 screen resolution, you had better keep the bit rate much lower than users are accustomed to, if you don't want very jerky video - seems the processor just can't handle the new and bigger screen resolution at good high bitrates like the old 176x220 screen could take.

Not sure if this makes sense in a Pocket PC changes kind of way too... But it sure cheeses me off that I have this lovely new phone with arguably one of the best screens in the business, and to play wmv and photostory files in full screen I have to drastically reduce the bitrate now...

Doh.

I always got great results using PocketDivx Encoder and Betaplayer on my M2000. This is not the case on the M5000, I've selected VGA device on the PocketDivx list but the playback is not good at all. I've had better results on my E200.

I thought I'd start a topic on what people are using to encode and watch videos on their M5000.

Or to see if there are any workarounds to get decent results on the device.

The M5000 cant quite cope with VGA playback, going slightly under VGA works fine though. Try using a slightly lower res and see how you get on.

Guest dolphinsmile

I have found the VGA option works well although the file sizes are larger when encoded for the M5000. If you go to output dimesions “Change” set the screen size you want and tick the box that says maintain aspect ratio then bring down Video Quality to about 20 and Audio to around 5 you should end up with a file of 400mb in size and great quality.

I have found the VGA option works well although the file sizes are larger when encoded for the M5000. If you go to output dimesions  “Change” set the screen size you want and tick the box that says maintain aspect ratio then bring down Video Quality to about 20 and Audio to around 5 you should end up with a file of 400mb in size and great quality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used tmpgenc and loaded the pocket pc widescreen template. Then lowered the audio settings and got 3.5 gb dvd down to 340mb and very watchable quality using pockettv or tcpmp.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markdotpeters5

cant get anything in 640x480 to work smoothly, although it looks awesome!

320x240 at highest quality (encoded in pocket divx encoder) works fine, and looks good, so i'll stick with that for now.

Guest Larnsky

you beat me to it... yeah there is a trial although i think you can only encode the first 5 minutes or something! I'm happy with the output from it anyway!