Changing the "keypad" background

Guest ripkord

Guest DancingMatt

Agreed - and also interested in changing it for the MDA Vario/Wizard/etc!

I found a link to a site that has two options for WM5, but they look like the laser etched Motorola ones and so aren't lovely, and are not very practical. Surely there would be loads of phone pad skins "out there" if more people knew how... unfortunately I can't help but it is obviously possible.

Anyone?

DM

Guest bennish
Agreed - and also interested in changing it for the MDA Vario/Wizard/etc!

I found a link to a site that has two options for WM5, but they look like the laser etched Motorola ones and so aren't lovely, and are not very practical. Surely there would be loads of phone pad skins "out there" if more people knew how... unfortunately I can't help but it is obviously possible.

Anyone?

DM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where did you find those dm? can you give a link? I may be interested in those motorolas (you mean razr style right).

Guest DancingMatt

Ah, was trying to remember where I'd seen them, here you go, Phone pad skins for WM5:

http://www.buzzdev.net/index.php?option=co...nc=select&id=18

The site also has some today themes and skins for the little popup keyboard!

The phonepad skins are indeed the RAZR and might be a head start for anyone who wants to develop their own? I don't think these are very practical though, doesn't look like the smart dialling window will pop down?

Very much hoping this will lead to more options to replace the pink and grey T-mobile special...

Guest DancingMatt

Did you try them Bennish? My Vario is apparently being dispatched today - hooray - am hoping someone might crack and post a guide on how to make phone pad skins!

Guest Phil Lee

Looking at another forum for the development of XDA utilities, it appears that the button graphics are controlled by registry entries. If you go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Phone\Skins

you will find sub keys for DIALER and PROGRESS.

Under DIALER there are keys for landscape and portrait and in each of these there are keys for each button. The buttons are:

dialbutton

erasebutton

plainbutton

talkendbutton

VerbButton

Each of these contain the following:

String: bmpDisabled

DWORD: bmpFlags

String: bmpNormal

String: bmpPressed

DWORD: bmpTransparency

Each string is a path to a bmp file. I assume you could create a new folder with a series of buttons in it and update the paths to point to these bitmaps.

There are two additonal keys:

other which contains a string value bmpNormal

text which contains two DWORD values, textColor and textDisabledColor

Under PROGRESS there is also landscape and portrait. These contain the following keys:

other

talkendbutton

text

VerbButton

other and text are the same as before.

talkendbutton contains:

String: bmpDisabledend

String: bmpDisabledTalk

DWORD: bmpFlagsEnd

DWORD: bmpFlagsTalk

String: bmpNormalend

String: bmpNormalTalk

String: bmpPressedend

String: bmpPressedTalk

DWORD: bmpTransparencyend

DWORD: bmpTransparencyTalk

verbutton contains:

String: bmpDisabled

DWORD: bmpFlags

String: bmpNormal

String: bmpPressed

DWORD: bmpTransparency

Hopefully that should help someone produce a skin for the dialer.

I'm going to have a go creating simple rectangles to replace the T-Mobile ones.

Guest DancingMatt

This sounds really promising - surely it's got to be it - will look forward to hearing your results Phil!

Take a look at the link I posted earlier too, that must surely help you as well.

Guest bennish

hey

Yeah I did try it, it's awesome.

Once installing something like that u can just replace the images. There's many online that are a cab install and once on, just replace the .bmp files.

The razr one is nice but a little dull. I may create one of my own... with backlit buttons. one advantage it has is that it's *only* a background, so very lightweight.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gang

Just noticed something with the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Phone\Skin

Dword- Enabled

Value - 0 (default HTC skin - cool blue)

if you change the value to 1 it then displays the horrible T-mobile / Network Provider's offering.

Hope that helps

Jim