What Sat Nav for SPV M500?

Guest Chris777UK

Guest Chris777UK

Lo all!

I have a m500 and looking to get Sat nav

is it best to get something that makes it work on the phone

or buy a seperate whole sat nav system?

I dont know how it works in the way of what i need or whats good so any help would be greatly recieved??

Needs to be as cheap as poss (i'm a poor youth worker with a wife and a baby on the way!) ;)

Thanks

Chris <><

Guest Chris777UK

also i know the m500 has GPS or something as u can check emails on it

if i bought just software and use the m500 GPS (if u can do that!?)

does it cost money for using the phone GPS?

told u im a noob!!

Guest Chris777UK

ok ok i've stopped bein lazy and read up on it!!

I am thinking of Tom Tom navigator 5 (bluetooth) for my SPV m500

my boss uses copilot 5 and likes that (but it seems dearer then the tom tom one)

whats best in your opinions???

Thanks

Chris

Guest Pondrew

Sorry Chris777UK, been meaning to get on the GPS/Sat Nav band wagon for a long time but never get round to it.

Therefore the only things I could tell you would be heresay.

I'm sure someone will be able to tell you what GPS/Software combo they use and whether they've had any probs or not... :??:

Guest mike-oh

OK OK! Hang on a second!!

You're getting confused between GPRS (General Packet Radio Service i believe) and GPS (Global Positioning System).

GPRS is the way your phone connects to the net to get emails, browse the web etc.

GPS is the way of using satellites to locate your position. GPS is NOT integrated into the M500 (or any other smartphone i'm aware of).

What you need for sat nav on your phone is a)A GPS receiver which can be connected to your phone either via bluetooth or a cable (i'm not so sure the M500 supports the cable connection tho) and, b)the mapping software on the phone.

TomTom Navigator 5 (bluetooth) works a treat, i have it and it's brill. Though it's pricey at £180 (www.ebuyer.co.uk) to £200 (pc world). I've never seen/used/encountered Copilot so i can't comment.

So in summary. Yes, you can have sat nav on M500. No, a GPS receiver is not integrated into the phone. You will need to buy a seperate receiver and accompanying software, packages like tomtom nav 5 include both. Once you've bought the kit it doesn't cost you anything to use on a day to day basis unless you subscribe to things like traffic info.

Hope that's cleared a few things up.

Mike :)

Guest mike-oh

Oh and the advantages of having it on your phone as opposed to a seperate system in a vehicle is that you can take it out and about with you and use it in any vehicle you happen to be driving or a passenger in!

the advantages of having it on your phone as opposed to a seperate system in a vehicle is that you can take it out

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and it won't get stolen! You'll be carrying your phone with you anyway when you leave the car, so it's one less thing to worry about.

Guest mike-oh
Thanks Mike-oh. It's that high cost that is putting me off  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Says the man with three phones!! :)

Do it!

Do it!

Do it!

What swung it for me was that i was fed up of sitting in the car, stuck in traffic, or driving with an A-Z on the steering wheel thinking "if only i had sat nav on my phone"!

And now i have :D and it's great, helped me no end around London and when i do my numerous site visits. Also although it's not intended for use on trains (it'll often try to locate you on an adjacent road as opposed to the track) it's great for seeing where you are and watching the miles go buy....as well as clocking your speed (135mph GNER Leeds to London if anyone cares)!

Warning this post may contain not very subtle subliminal messages!!

Guest Pondrew

hehe. One of these days I'll get GPS, a dashboard mount, and a bluetooth stereo headset (now that I've been told the HTC Blue Angel is ALONE in being compatible with A2DP right now, only needing a patch). Might have to be the same day I win the lottery though... :)

Guest spvc500

:oops:

Sorry about the last post, bear with me I'm still learning!

Anyway, check out ViaMichelin BT Navagation pack. Got mine from Widget (www.widget.co.uk) under £100 !

Comes with various mounts and cradle for charging PDA/GPS.

It's basic but does what it say's on the tin, 'cept it comes in cardboard box!

It works well on my M500 and is worth a look

Edited by Pondrew

Guest adchaffey

I wonder if anyone can clear something up for me...

I've been looking at getting tom tom for a while now, and now I've got my Vario I'm even more tempted. Just had a look on ebay for tom tom navigator 5, and there are some coming up at around £30 NEW! I don't mean to be sceptical, but this software retails for over £100, so how can people be selling it so cheap? I don't want to bid and buy software that I can't register or has fallen of the back of a lorry if you know what i mean!?!?

Anyone know how this is possible??

Guest Chris777UK

have u used tom tom, how are they different? the screenys look pretty much the same?

Sorry to keep askin questions im skint and wanna make the right choice :)

Guest spvc500
have u used tom tom, how are they different? the screenys look pretty much the same?

Sorry to keep askin questions im skint and wanna make the right choice :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've no experience of any other GPS systems, all I can say is the ViaMichelin gets me from A to B with no problems. Check out the ViaMichelin website

(http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/shopexd.asp?catalogID=535) and look at the two flash demo's. Hope this helps

Guest adchaffey
Just had a look on ebay for tom tom navigator 5, and there are some coming up at around £30 NEW! I don't mean to be sceptical, but this software retails for over £100, so how can people be selling it so cheap? I don't want to bid and buy software that I can't register or has fallen of the back of a lorry if you know what i mean!?!?

Anyone know how this is possible??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I've just read the smallprint. Some of the software on Ebay are copies or 'Backups' as they like to say, meaning legally you are not allowed to purchase them unless you have an original. In which case, why would you spend £20 on a backup copy!? Very dodgy!

Guest spvc500
Just wondering, does anyone know if any of these solutions work for Northern Ireland?  Can't really find any info on this. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ViaMichelin includes maps for Ireland, don't know how detailed they are