Charging through USB

Guest vince.nl

Guest vince.nl

When I want to charge my C550 through USB, do I have to do that on a pc where ActiveSync is installed?

It won't charge with a random pc, but does charge on my with ActiveSync. seems kind of strange to me, because A/C charger is USB-plug as well.

oh it DOES make sense.

DRIVERS for the PC

as for the ac adapter - it doesnt need any drivers lol its just a power cable.... which connects to the phone and charges up

as doing it through a PC it requires the drivers to appropriately charge the phone otherwise it doesnt know what it is and what to do with it

for example... and MP3 player. you can charge it through the PC (i have heard) but requires drivers or you can charge it through the mains!

Guest vince.nl

have to disagree with you on that..

the pc does indeed need drivers to communicate with the phone, but a USB-port is always powered. The MP3 player is a good example, often they don't need any drivers (mass storage devices) but do get power the second you plug em in.

My guess is that the C550 just refuses to take power from the pc when AS is not installed.

Edited by vince.nl

Guest vince.nl

if anyone please could help with this i'd be very happy ;)

I read elsewhere on these forums that it IS possible to charge the phone without activesync being installed. It said there, that it is a cable issue. (either standard cable needs modification or a specific cable is required). I've searched the forum but didn't end up with anything useful.

does anyone have a solution for this?

Guest davejerome

You are correct. USB always has power which is why you can get a USB cable to Car Charger adaptor.

Windows CE generally doesn't like non active sync things talking to it, its a security measure.

However I can only see this being a problem if you are using an office pc with no admin rights.

Oh and it charges alot quicker from the mains anyhow.

have to disagree with you on that..

the pc does indeed need drivers to communicate with the phone, but a USB-port is always powered. The MP3 player is a good example, often they don't need any drivers (mass storage devices) but do get power the second you plug em in.

My guess is that the C550 just refuses to take power from the pc when AS is not installed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest davejerome

Yes, in theory if you could get a Mini USB (;) to Male USB sized cable that only did power and not data then it would work, as the PC or MAC would not know its connected and phone would think it is a power socket, not a data connection.

These cables do exist. I used to have a data cable (that charged) and a charging only cable for my ericsson T610.

I would have thought that a 2 minute google search would do the job.

Guest vince.nl

thanks for the reply's guys.

However I can only see this being a problem if you are using an office pc with no admin rights.

there are more situations... with the right cable, i can

-charge the phone through a pc that isn't turned on (usb stays powered, mains adapter is standard in another room)

- charge my phone from any pc

I also read that there is registry tweaking possible that lets the phone draw power from a non-AS-pc's usb-port. that would be a fantastic solution, anyone any info on that?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest rikpotts

I use linux so dont have activesynch.

I can still charge my phone. Linux doesnt see it as a memory stick... it doesnt recognise anything but it will charge ok.

Sometimes I have to reboot the pc with the phone plugged in to get it to charge.