Vario won't connect to wireless network

Guest keyvid

I have just got a Vario from T-mobile and can't get it to connect to my Belkin Pre N F5D8230uk4 Wireless router.

The router shows as available in the vario but I can't establish a connection. Both T-mobile and belkin don't want to help me and my tech knowledge is virtually zero so I'm stuck.

Has anyone had a similar problem and overcome it?

The wireless settings are

Wireless chanel : auto

SSID : Belkin_Pre-N_573488

Wireless Mode : 802.11g & 802.11b

Broadcast SSID : checked

Protected mode : off

Please don't come back with heavt jargon

IWHAFC

Thanks for your suggestions, I have tried everything I have seen posted in the forum including changing security settings, and changing the wifi routers b and g settings unfortunately the only options I have are G only, B+G mixed and off, I have had 3 1 hour sessions with T-mobiles tech support team trying every combination of settings they could think of and several sessions with belkin (when I've been able to get through) I am now waiting for T-mob to get back to me once they have investigated further, we'll see if that happens.

The only network I have succeeded in connecting to with the vario was a btopen something at a motorway services.

Any suggestions, please keep them coming

Guest impished

Have heard lots'a people struggling wiv this.

It's not straightforward, but mine connects perfectly everytime.

Sorry if this seems obvious to every1, but here goes :)

u say it sees your network. in 'settings->connections->network cards' select your wireless then make sure 'connects to' is set to work. This is also were you set the network key and security type.

in 'setting->connections->connections->advanced' click "select networks" and change both to "my work network"

That's all I had to do

hope this helps.... 8)

o.k. feel a bit stoopid now. just noticed my router is set to mixed mode!!!!! doh :oops:

Edited by impished

Thanks for the suggestion, it didn't work. If anyone reading this has succesfully connected a vario to a Belkin wireless pre N router please let me know how you did it, it's driving me insane.

Guest battletank
Thanks for the suggestion, it didn't work. If anyone reading this has succesfully connected a vario to a Belkin wireless pre N router please let me know how you did it, it's driving me insane.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have managed this - it simply isn't possible with the Vario as it comes out of the box (G-Mode is disabled). I installed the KJam ROM on my Vario, and now it connects perfectly, plus it gets rid of all that nasty T-Mobile branding.

Edited by battletank

Thanks for the info. was it hard to do the mod. I'm not too technical so instruction for dummys would be welcome. also does that create any problems with the service provider?

Hi there,

Just thought I'd pop my head in here, I have a Belkin (G) router and my Vario has been connected to it from day one with stock network settings on the Vario and the router set to mixed mode... Nothing was ever changed all I did was enter the network key and bam! connected...

But... two days ago it stopped connecting and no matter what I do, hard reset, soft reset, reset router etc etc... I can see the router but all I get is connecting... it never connects now...... even tried removing security and setting vario to get key automaticlly etc.. nada

And to top it off, when using the cable to connect via activesysnc I now get a "cannot get an IP address" on screen after about 2 mins...

Very confused and a little cheesed off :evil:

Any suggestions?

Will see what happens tonight, I gotta hard reset and wipe mem card for tomtom...

Veef13

Guest battletank
Thanks  for the info. was it hard to do the mod. I'm not too technical so instruction for dummys would be welcome. also does that create any problems with the service provider?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simple enough, although your phone gets reset.

First you need to unlock the phone - I used IMEI-CHECK.CO.UK to do this (for £20) although there is free software around to do the same, but I can't speak for how easy that is.

Next, you need to download the most recent i-Mate ROM. . Connect the phone to your PC, run the i-Mate update and away you go. You now have an i-Mate KJam. You'll need to reinstall any software you'd previously put on the phone, but it'll work perfectly with your network (at least, mine now does with my Belkin pre-N router). It'll carry on working perfectly with T-Mobile's network.

Guest battletank
Just thought I'd pop my head in here, I have a Belkin (G) router and my Vario has been connected to it from day one with stock network settings on the Vario and the router set to mixed mode... Nothing was ever changed all I did was enter the network key and bam! connected...

But... two days ago it stopped connecting and no matter what I do, hard reset, soft reset, reset router etc etc... I can see the router but all I get is connecting... it never connects now...... even tried removing security and setting vario to get key automaticlly etc.. nada

And to top it off, when using the cable to connect via activesysnc I now get a "cannot get an IP address" on screen after about 2 mins...

Very confused and a little cheesed off  :evil:

Any suggestions?

Will see what happens tonight, I gotta hard reset and wipe mem card for tomtom...

Presumably your Belkin G router is running in mixed mode, which means it can make a B connection to it.

Can your Vario still make Internet connections using GPRS? It sounds like the networking gubbins are failing. Have you done a full complete hard reset of the phone - i.e. held down Network and Voice buttons while resetting the phone? If you have, it sounds like a fault with your phone.

Guest Pondrew

Just a quick addition/explaination to battletanks contribution. Sim unlocking will not usually unlock a device to any rom but the www.imei-check.com service also sets the devices ID to factory default so allowing the installation of any update. Usually you would get an id error if you tried installing an update not for your brand.

that's exactly what mine has done from day one including the can't get IP address message when USB connected to PC. I can't get my Vario to Hard reset either, the combination of buttons in the manual onlt seems to do a soft restart

Just a quick addition/explaination to battletanks contribution. Sim unlocking will not usually unlock a device to any rom but the www.imei-check.com service also sets the devices ID to factory default so allowing the installation of any update. Usually you would get an id error if you tried installing an update not for your brand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the further info both. I think I will wait to see if T-mobile come up with a solution as what your suggesting appears to be slightly dodgy

Guest minty1978

mine was a bit strange too, managed to connect to the router, however could not browse any pages.

i found that i had to manually input the DNS server under advanced options. problem solved, wireless browsing :)

Guest battletank
mine was a bit strange too, managed to connect to the router, however could not browse any pages.

i found that i had to manually input the DNS server under advanced options. problem solved, wireless browsing :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The T-Mobile implementation is very poor. Even when it does connect, as you've noted, it doesn't pull the DHCP information correctly.

Honestly (I feel like a scratched record), flashing with the i-mate ROM has solved all the wireless network related issues for me - connects to every AP, no need to fiddle with settings. Those of you worried that reflashing is dodgy, risky or concerned about invalidating warranties, etc, should be aware that there is a utility which allows you to make a backup of the T-Mobile ROM prior to flashing, if you ever need to return the phone. The process of flashing itself is as simple and uneventful as watching a progress bar.

Presumably your Belkin G router is running in mixed mode, which means it can make a B connection to it.

Can your Vario still make Internet connections using GPRS?  It sounds like the networking gubbins are failing.  Have you done a full complete hard reset of the phone - i.e. held down Network and Voice buttons while resetting the phone?  If you have, it sounds like a fault with your phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there, cheers for reply...

Yeah, router in mixed mode, and tried it last night in b only... no difference...

can make connection using GPRS no problems, well maybe a little slow...

Done hard reset a few times to be safe... was thinking of flashing with the kjam rom to see if that fixes it???

I just find it weird that it worked flawlessly, then all of a sudden nada...

Still love the Vario tho... If it was a hardware fault, then surly I would never have been able to connect at all?

Thanks

Veef13

Guest westleyl
Thanks for the further info both. I think I will wait to see if T-mobile come up with a solution as what your suggesting appears to be slightly dodgy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got my MDA Vario two days ago and have the same problem with my Belkin pre-N router. I have two laptops which connect fine; one connects at 802.11b, and one at 802.11g. Oddly, the laptop with an a/b/g card will only connect at 802.11g and won't connect at 802.11b. Similar to the MDA Vario.

Personally, I don't think we'll get a resolution on this issue until T-mobile provide a ROM update for the MDA Vario which enables 802.11g networking. Either that or I will have to buy a really cheap 802.11g access point.

This really isn't what I expected, very disappointing.

FYI: Updating to the latest Belkin firmware didn't solve the problem.

Guest minty1978

ive noticed that when i have connected to a WAP, i have to manually change my settings if i want to use GPRS..should this be happening automatically?

Guest madferret

Have you been playing with the "Remote-NDIS Host" in Network Cards? If you open it there's no cancel function, you have to select either "Use server assigned IP address" or enter something in the manual section. If you exit with "server assigned" selected then the phone thinks Active Sync wants an IP address. I've put 169.254.2.1 in there (subnet 255.255.255.0) - the host setting used by AS - and it's quite happy.