Orange SPV C550 £129.99 with 512mb card?

Guest zim_zimmer

Guest zim_zimmer

Hiya,

I'm well interested in getting the C550 (I owned a C500 before and loved it), and saw on the Orange website that its only £129.99 on Pay As You Go... great as I want to stick my O2 Sim in it. Only trouble is that it says this

"A fantastic Music device with dedicated music buttons and a 512 Meg storage card, that can hold 500+ music tracks.You can even plug the C550 into your stereo or TV

I have a few quesitons though.

1. Does it really come with a 512mb card from what its saying? Has anyone ordered it from here?

2. Is it easy to unlock? If so, how much?

Thank you!!

Edited by zim_zimmer

Guest zim_zimmer

I've orderd mine from Orange now!! I actually phoned up to make sure that I get the 512mb card included!!

Apparently they do 2 packages... the standard package (which you get in the Orange Shops, and online) with a 128mb card, and also a MUSIC HERO package in which you get the 512mb card and also some Hi-Fi connection cables. I made sure that the lady ordered me this one... can't wait for it to arrive now!!!!!

How long do they take?? She said 2-3 days but I'm hoping it will be sooner?? This phone looks sheer class!!!

My SPV C500 was good but I sold that to get a Motorola MPx220 (which is an excellent phone by the way). Then sold the MPx220 to get a Sony Ericsson S700i to save a bit of money but now I can't live without a SmartPhone!!!

How does the C550 compare to the C500?? Interested to know from people who have had both?

Guest zim_zimmer

Oh... also.

Has anyone unlocked their SPV C550 with the link above? Does it make it available to ALL networks when done?? And does it remove the certification on the phone??

And is it easy to do!!!

Guest missingfox
How does the C550 compare to the C500??  Interested to know from people who have had both?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had both, i went from a C500 to an M500 and then to a C550 as i missed having a keypad.

The C550's great for me, i got it for £109 as i traded an old Nokia 7110 in at the Orange Store. I don't know how ORange are making any profit on them when you consider the 512mb cards cost £45ish.

It's very similar to the C500, i prefer the joystick to the rocker, and the screen's brighter and sharper. I don't tend to run a lot of applications so can't comment on compatability. All my phone's used for is text, calls, web and mp3's. It's pretty brilliant at all of these.

It has more memory free than the C500 and i find it runs slightly fast when Media Player's open and you're doing something else.

I realised i was more than happy with my C500 after i'd sold it, and probably should have stuck with it instead of getting an M500, but this is just that bit better all around.

My only gripe would be that it took me a few days to get used to the smaller keypad, ( i am a very tall bloke) so it's more due to my abnormally large fingers :)

Guest sepecat

Has anyone unlocked their SPV C550 with the link above? Does it make it available to ALL networks when done?? And does it remove the certification on the phone??

I have done it , and havent any problems.

First you decertyfing phone , and then removing simlock.

Guest zim_zimmer
I hope I ordered the right one then, she told me it came with a 512MB card but I am not so sure she definitely ordered the music pack on her computer...
Hope so then!! I made sure she repeated the order!!!!

I have done it , and havent any problems.

First you decertyfing phone , and then removing simlock

I am now thinking that you will have to actually get into the phones file manager (is this right?) to carry this out? If so I am pretty much up sh!t creek as I'm on O2... unless I can use the ORANGE Sim Card that comes with it without paying for anything??

Let me know!!

Guest hey_tim

I bought a c550 from orange last week - saw it on the web then rang to order. Boy am I glad that i hesitated a few days whilst the price dropped! paid 130 for the music pack - a christmas special package. The people I spoke to were useless - didn't know what offers were on or what was included - the package arrived without the 2.5 - 3.5 mm adapter but they're forwarding it on no problem. It came with the 512meg card, usb cable and headphones + tv cable. The invoice that came with the phone said 149.99 because they haven't updated their systems for the 20 quid price drop yet - although they do charge the correct lower price. It also came with an orange payg sim with 1 pound on it. I started it up with the orange sim and then followed the instructions referred to earlier to application unlock and then sim unlock the phone - piece of cake! I'm now using a virgin card and have also sucessfully tried the other half's T mobile card.

Tim.

Guest the loc-man

What is the TV cable? what does it do for the C550 please?[

quote=hey_tim,Nov 21 2005, 23:21]

I bought a c550 from orange last week - saw it on the web then rang to order. Boy am I glad that i hesitated a few days whilst the price dropped! paid 130 for the music pack - a christmas special package. The people I spoke to were useless - didn't know what offers were on or what was included - the package arrived without the 2.5 - 3.5 mm adapter but they're forwarding it on no problem. It came with the 512meg card, usb cable and headphones + tv cable. The invoice that came with the phone said 149.99 because they haven't updated their systems for the 20 quid price drop yet - although they do charge the correct lower price. It also came with an orange payg sim with 1 pound on it. I started it up with the orange sim and then followed the instructions referred to earlier to application unlock and then sim unlock the phone - piece of cake! I'm now using a virgin card and have also sucessfully tried the other half's T mobile card.

Tim.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the TV cable? what does it do for the C550 please

The Orange supplied Music version (512MB) I received yesterday (OVP VM upgrade) came with a HiFi cable, but no TV cable. I suspect the OP may have got confused as the HiFi cable looks very similar to the component leads used for a TV.

Essentially it's for connecting the C550 headphone socket to the Left and Right inputs of a HiFi (or audio element of a TV). IMHO not sure if the impedance etc. would be right to give a good clear sound if connected to a Hifi.

YMMV - Rufus.

Guest samicharmed

Ohh Ilove this phone!!!

I'm looking for it in ebay, but I cannot find one in good condition-good price. The orange payg price is excellent!! However I cannot buy one because i'm not from UK.

I would be sooo glad and grateful if someone could buy me one there and send it to me in Spain. Of course I pay everything, mobile, shipping cost and a little extra. It's so important to me to have this phone...

Please, if someone could make me this favour, I'd thank you everyday.

Interested? Send me a email to [email protected]

Mine arrived today with 512mb memory card.

I like the new screen although am slightly disappointed that both mobireader and orneta reader don't make full use of the width.

The home and back buttons are a bit fiddly - better on the C500 and likely the new C600 but I can certainly live with them. The joystick is much better than the old rocker.

Just glad to have my Smartphone goodness back!

The Orange supplied Music version (512MB) I received yesterday (OVP VM upgrade) came with a HiFi cable, but no TV cable. I suspect the OP may have got confused as the HiFi cable looks very similar to the component leads used for a TV.

Essentially it's for connecting the C550 headphone socket to the Left and Right inputs of a HiFi (or audio element of a TV). IMHO not sure if the impedance etc. would be right to give a good clear sound if connected to a Hifi.

YMMV - Rufus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got my OVP Vm upgrade SPV C550 today, and it came as the Music pack too. Bonus! As its an upgrade it didn't cost me much, so its a very impressive package for the money.

Mind you, although I'm used to using an iPaq, at first 'play' I find the C550 to be a very different kind of mobile phone, so I'm yet to decide whether to persevere. I'm used to Nokia's and my new SE K750i. . . .

Aren't the cables that come in the Music pack for either audio or TV use? My TV has red/yellow connections on the back?

Andrew

Guest zim_zimmer

Well.... Mine come in the post today YAY!! No 2.5mm - 3.5mm convertor or TV cable. I didn't even know it should have a TV cable to be honest with you, what does that do (besides the obvious!).

What connections should the lead have, can I get it elsewhere??

Just going to try unlocking the phone now, pray to god that its simple enough and that I don't mess the phone up!! Please say this is easy to do?!

Samicharged... best bet would be to check out EBAY.

Guest zim_zimmer

Well........... just UNLOCKED MY SPV C550!!! Thank you so much to the guys who developed the tool. THANK YOU!!

Did take a little while as my phone wouldn't accept the Cert.cab file in the first place so had to go through de-certing the phone but all is good. I am now using my SPV C550 on O2!!!

Now to find the MMS/GPRS settings.........

Guest clonmult
The C550's great for me, i got it for £109 as i traded an old Nokia 7110 in at the Orange Store. I don't know how ORange are making any profit on them when you consider the 512mb cards cost £45ish.

512meg Mini SD cards - best price I've seen so far is £25.69 from SVP.co.uk - quite a good supplier. Orange will effectively be paying less for them as well, so I don't think there is a problem with Orange making money on these.

Well...........  just UNLOCKED MY SPV C550!!!  Thank you so much to the guys who developed the tool.  THANK YOU!!

I am now using my SPV C550 on O2!!!

Now to find the MMS/GPRS settings.........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could get the settings from the CarPhoneWarehouse website . . . . www.carphonewarehouse.com then click on the 'How to set up . . .' box/link at the bottom right hand corner of the page.

Gonna try unlocking my C550 too . . . . .

Andrew

Guest jarvisjulian

Got one ! £129.00 + 512mb card ! Cheap as chips!

Had an SPV e200 before and put my old BT Genie sim in after unlocking using the easy SPV developers tool. Many thanks to them.

All set up for free unlimited internet !!! .....What a wicked screen on the C550 compared to the e200 !

Just waiting for more games to be available now.

Edited by jarvisjulian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ish07930
just ordered mine from Orange as well :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the miniSD card that comes with this phone also have a SD adaptor with it so the card can be read in a normal SD card reader?

Does the miniSD card that comes with this phone also have a SD adaptor with it so the card can be read in a normal SD card reader?

Mine didn't (unless it was cunningly disguised as packaging). However you can buy adaptors for around a fiver from Amazon et al. Though for a few quid more you may as well get a 128MB mini SD card with adaptor (7dayshop for example).

HTH - Rufus.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest matt-man

wow my first post!

i bought the c550 on saturday and got it unlocked yesterday, now i reqire the dial-up settings for o2 internet!

I have checked o2.co.uk but they only have the e-mail settings and the WAP and GPRS settings and i allready have put them in.

Could anyone be of assistance?;)