iTech Bluetooth virtual keyboard

Hello,

I've been given one of these to play with but I can't get it working on my M2000. I have managed to pair the device after about one hour's fiddling and I can see it connected in bluetooth manager, and I have enabled it in the small VKB application that comes with it, but typing on the keyboard has no effect on teh device.

I've also installed it on my C550 with no luck.

Any owners care to comment?

Website at www.itechdynamic.com where I've already downloaded the latest drivers etc.

Thanks

Wow, you can buy these now? Read about them ages ago, it's a great idea.

The M2000 is listed as being compatible, but I didn't see the C500 on the list.

My guess is that the application they gave you isn't working right. I'm assuming it runs over a BT COM port and sends keyboard events to the OS. Is there any indication of the connection being active in the application? I'd assume it would need to communicate with the device rather than just sitting passively listening to the COM port. Speaking of which, may people using GPS have had COM port troubles. Does the application allow you to select a port in any way? Perhaps there is a config dialog hidden away somewhere; I think I've seen an app install it's config in the Settings area in the Start Menu.

It may use something other than a COM port though...I'm not all that familiar with BT, so I'm not sure on what data transports it provides. The reason I mention COM ports however is that the fact that you can see it in the BT manager but not use it is a similar sympton of GPS COM hastles.

Also, do you have the latest bluetooth drivers on your M2000?

Finally, has whoever gave you it had any success? It could just be a broken device, not all that rare in brand new technology... :)

Edit: I've just read a review and it contained the following:

I entered a PASSKEY on my device and entered the same PASSKEY on the projection of the keyboard. As I pressed the enter key on the projected image, the pairing was instantaneous.

From here, worth a look as they describe setting it up.

Edited by fraser

Guest rikwebb
Hello,

I've been given one of these to play with but I can't get it working on my M2000. I have managed to pair the device after about one hour's fiddling and I can see it connected in bluetooth manager, and I have enabled it in the small VKB application that comes with it, but typing on the keyboard has no effect on teh device.

I've also installed it on my C550 with no luck.

Any owners care to comment?

Website at www.itechdynamic.com where I've already downloaded the latest drivers etc.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was given one to review for work, got it going on a C500 and an Ipaq.

They are a nice toy (to show off with!), but not very good for typing and everyday use. You would be better off with the Stowaway BT keyboard, it very good.

ANYWAY - you want to play!

Has this been used on another device?, if it has you will need to reset using a pencil in the reset button (on the side, if memory serves me right). It can only be paired correctly with one device at a time. Reset must be performed for each new device.

If that doesnt work, try using it on your PC (with the drivers), it could be that its not supported with your devices.

As I said, it worked with the Ipaq and the C500 - but I soon gave it back.

Rik

All,

Thanks for replies. Problem was that the CD in teh box was a very early version of drivers as it was a demo unit, so I borrowed a more up-to-date CD which had the proper drivers for the M2000.

Still a bit of a faff to pair and set up, but now working. Best bit is that you just get it out and switch it on now, you don't need to press anything on the M2000, it automatically re-establishes which is great.

Hopefully I'll be able to sell some now!

Rgds

Jon

• 1 month later...
Guest James_W

ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

5 Hours in and it's still not working! Got my iTech keyboard today and after about 3.5 hours I now have a paired device, with matching passkeys, and a serial connection in 'my favorites' in Bluetooth Manager. This means that i can connect to the keyboard (steady blue light on the keyboard unit) but when I try and enable the keyboard in the VKB program, it just asks me for another passkey.

No matter what I type in here, it just says "Keyboard not found or incorrect passkey. Please retry".. I know something's not right with the driver because when I 'search' on the connections tab in VKB, it brings back six keyboards, none of which work!! I've downloaded the latest driver from the itech website.

How on earth did you get yours working? PLEASE HELP! Before I have a nervous breakdown!

James

Guest James_W

9 HOURS OF WORK AND IT'S FINALLY UP AND RUNNING!

It's been an emotional rollercoaster.

Thought I'd post here in case anyone else googles a solution like I tried to. It does seem though that different things may work in different scenarios as a PM from Jon above gave a slightly different proceedure. Anyway, in a nutshell, this is what I did.

For the Orange SPV M2000 (Windows Mobile 2003)

1. Download the latest drivers from the iTech website (downloads the whole driver CD)

2. Browse the CD an manually copy the driver across to the root directory of your PPC

(BT_VKB_CD_v3_9/english/setup/PocketPC2003/Widcom/WinCEVKBApp2003.ARM.CAB)

The SPV M2000 has a bluecom Bluetooth stack, but apparently this is the same company as Widcom now.)

3. Open the driver on the PPC to install it. The put the keyboard in pairing mode by turning it on and 'pressing' Shift, Alt and B

4. Got to Bluetooth Manager, Tools, Paired Devices and pair the keyboard to the phone. Enter a passkey on both the phone and the keyboard

5. Go to My Shortcust / New / Explore a Bluetooth Device

6. Select the VKB Keyboard

7. Select the service called SPP, and make sure you select "Secure, Encrypted Connection"

8. Go to the VKB Application

9. Go to Connection tab, select Bluetooth

10. Go to VKB tab, enable the keyboard

11. Say "Yes" to "Is this the first time..."

12. WAIT a few seconds! Listen for 2 bleeps. If you get a third different bleep, the connection has failed. If you hear this, go and bang you head against a wall a few times before re-attempting.

13. Should connect after a few seconds. Try it out in Pocket Word

Mine reconnects now every time I turn the phone on and the keyboard is on. I'm scared stiff to touch anything now in case it stops working. I'm also scared to try TomTom now in case it buggers up the virtual serial port connection!

Oh - Step 14.. Continue to stress over how long it will work before you are unable to connect again, and pat yourself on the back for living the high-stress, painful life of an "early adopter"!

Step 15 - Wait 12 months and watch as every tom dick and harry down the pub has one, with decent, working drivers as they start giving these things away with £20 PAYG mobiles like bluetooth headsets. Tell people your war stories of how you spent 9 hours trying to get your phone to talk to a keyboard that actually doesn't exist.

Good luck and enjoy!

James

I use TomTom Navigator 5 on my M2000, in conjunction with VKB (not at the same time of course - that would be stupid!) - no bluetooth problems and it doesn't disrupt the VKB at all.

Guest James_W
I use TomTom Navigator 5 on my M2000, in conjunction with VKB (not at the same time of course - that would be stupid!) - no bluetooth problems and it doesn't disrupt the VKB at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stop press, I tried this too last night after a few JDs to steady the nerves. Thankfully I got TomTom Nav5 working too (As Jon says, diferentially from VKB though of course)

James

• 2 weeks later...
Guest opebble
Stop press, I tried this too last night after a few JDs to steady the nerves. Thankfully I got TomTom Nav5 working too (As Jon says, diferentially from VKB though of course)

James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am trying to set one of these up for a notebook PC that has a knackered kboard. I have got Bluetooth to find the iTech keyboard but the wizard keeps asking for a PIN code to pair with, but I can't find what PIN the iTech uses! Any one got any thoughts? Windows XP SP2 BTW.

Guest James_W
I am trying to set one of these up for a notebook PC that has a knackered kboard. I have got Bluetooth to find the iTech keyboard but the wizard keeps asking for a PIN code to pair with, but I can't find what PIN the iTech uses! Any one got any thoughts? Windows XP SP2 BTW.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I've understood the question correctly, you can use whatever nuber you like "1234" for example, as long as you enter the same code on both when pairing, it doesn't matter what it is. A take it you are actually trying to 'pair' with the keyboard, not just detect and use it? (You need to pair them)

Does this help?

James

Guest opebble
If I've understood the question correctly, you can use whatever nuber you like "1234" for example, as long as you enter the same code on both when pairing, it doesn't matter what it is. A take it you are actually trying to 'pair' with the keyboard, not just detect and use it? (You need to pair them)

Does this help?

James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I am trying to pair. The PC Bluetooth app asks for a PIN but there doesn't seem to be anywhere where i get asked to input the PIN to the keyboard (or am I just being thick!)

The Bluetooth wizard finds the keyboard and identifies it OK as a VKB Keyboard. When I click on the icon it goes away and thinks and then comes back with "THe connection could not be completed". The keyboard "base" is flashing blue then red.

Help!

Guest Ceilidh
Yes I am trying to pair. The PC Bluetooth app asks for a PIN but there doesn't seem to be anywhere where i get asked to input the PIN to the keyboard (or am I just being thick!)

The Bluetooth wizard finds the keyboard and identifies it OK as a VKB Keyboard. When I click on the icon it goes away and thinks and then comes back with "THe connection could not be completed". The keyboard "base" is flashing blue then red.

Help!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Default code I've found with most bluetooth devices is 0000. You might also want to try 1234. Obviously the VKB will have a pin code hardcoded into it's onboard software, hence no ability to enter it. You just need to do it on the PC/phone side of things.

If either of these don't work, try reading the manual for the VKB. It'll usually give the passcode to use in there.

Edited by Ceilidh

• 1 month later...
Guest Smidge

Hi guys, does anyone have any instructional advice for making my bluetooth vkb work with my HTC Blue angel (orange spv m2000)?

I would greatly appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest James_W
Hi guys, does anyone have any instructional advice for making my bluetooth vkb work with my HTC Blue angel (orange spv m2000)?

I would greatly appreciate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only post number 6 above! ;) Don't give up.

• 2 years later...
Guest adniL

Thought I'd post here in case anyone else googles a solution like I tried to. It does seem though that different things may work in different scenarios as a PM from Jon above gave a slightly different proceedure. Anyway, in a nutshell, this is what I did.

1. Download the latest drivers from the iTech website (downloads the whole driver CD)

2. Browse the CD an manually copy the driver across to the root directory of your PPC

The SPV M2000 has a bluecom Bluetooth stack, but apparently this is the same company as Widcom now.)

3. Open the driver on the PPC to install it. The put the keyboard in pairing mode by turning it on and 'pressing' Shift, Alt and B

4. Got to Bluetooth Manager, Tools, Paired Devices and pair the keyboard to the phone. Enter a passkey on both the phone and the keyboard

7. Select the service called SPP, and make sure you select "Secure, Encrypted Connection"

12. WAIT a few seconds! Listen for 2 bleeps. If you get a third different bleep, the connection has failed. If you hear this, go and bang you head against a wall a few times before re-attempting.

Mine reconnects now every time I turn the phone on and the keyboard is on. I'm scared stiff to touch anything now in case it stops working. I'm also scared to try TomTom now in case it buggers up the virtual serial port connection!

Oh - Step 14.. Continue to stress over how long it will work before you are unable to connect again, and pat yourself on the back for living the high-stress, painful life of an "early adopter"!

Step 15 - Wait 12 months and watch as every tom dick and harry down the pub has one, with decent, working drivers as they start giving these things away with £20 PAYG mobiles like bluetooth headsets. Tell people your war stories of how you spent 9 hours trying to get your phone to talk to a keyboard that actually doesn't exist.

Good luck and enjoy!

James

Guest adniL

Good luck and enjoy!

James

I realise that I'm replying to quite an old post but maybe someone can help me. I have a Pocket Loox (Windows CE) and have recently acquired an iTech bluetooth virtual keyboard. The Pocket Loox is not listed as one of the devices in the installation software for the VKB but I have read a couple of comments elsewhere that say it can be installed (without any clues as to how to go about it!) I downloaded the latest driver set from iTech's website and made a guess at which ones to install. Then following the instructions above, I proceeded to pair the devices, the VKB installed ok and the 2 devices "see" each other, however nothing I type on the VKB shows up on the Loox and every time I open the VKB application the "Enable VKB" tick box is unticked, I tick it, tap OK, a message comes up saying "Authorization requested" and I tap "Accept". I never got the message asking "Is this the first time .....", it doesn't ask me for a passkey and nothing happens when I try to type in Word. If I leave both devices switched on, the Loox repeatedly displays the request for Authorization, however in Bluetooth manager the VKB shows as connected ..... ??!! any help would be gratefully received.

I realise that I'm replying to quite an old post but maybe someone can help me. I have a Pocket Loox (Windows CE) and have recently acquired an iTech bluetooth virtual keyboard. The Pocket Loox is not listed as one of the devices in the installation software for the VKB but I have read a couple of comments elsewhere that say it can be installed (without any clues as to how to go about it!) I downloaded the latest driver set from iTech's website and made a guess at which ones to install. Then following the instructions above, I proceeded to pair the devices, the VKB installed ok and the 2 devices "see" each other, however nothing I type on the VKB shows up on the Loox and every time I open the VKB application the "Enable VKB" tick box is unticked, I tick it, tap OK, a message comes up saying "Authorization requested" and I tap "Accept". I never got the message asking "Is this the first time .....", it doesn't ask me for a passkey and nothing happens when I try to type in Word. If I leave both devices switched on, the Loox repeatedly displays the request for Authorization, however in Bluetooth manager the VKB shows as connected ..... ??!! any help would be gratefully received.

Instead of clicking ok when it asks you for authorization, can you enter a passkey like 1234 then press ok?