Magician vs Wizard - flat battery impact?

Guest b33k34

I'm looking at one of these two at the moment. I'm not that worried about the keyboard and want to use a case so the magician seems the better bet.

Wifi would be handy at home but i could use a sd card so it comes down to the differences between the software. What concerns me most is what happens on a flat battery - am i right in thinking that the magician will lose all data if i run the battery flat whereas the wizard wont?

What happens if i remove the battery to put my sim card in another phone (i'm thinking of still using my 6310i sometimes?

Are there any other reasons why i really should go for the wizard over the magician?

Guest Pondrew

Unfortunately once your Magician's battery completely drained you would then have a limited time before the backup battery went the same way. Once that happens the device hard resets itself losing everything (everything that is that isn't stored in the very limited permanent storage folder - assuming the HTC Magician is the same as other WM2003SE HTC Pocket PC Phones). Strangely the time taken for the backup to run flat seems to vary, don't assume just because the manual says several hours that it'll last this long :)

My advice to you would be this. If you are going to go for an HTC Magician make sure it is one of the 128meg ram models as this will be more stable and more future proof. Who knows, maybe this model will be able to be upgraded to WM5! But really I'd be looking at the Wizard for the extra features of keyboard/wifi/WM5 etc.

Finally, in case it affects your decision, T-Mobile have a device coming out soon called the T-Mobile MDA Compact II which will be an updated HTC Magician with more memory AND WM5!