4 AA battery extender for M5000

Guest afhstingray

Guest afhstingray

i'll be in singapore next week, and i know for a fact there are a ton of battery extenders being sold in this massive shopping mall there that has like 5 floors of techology shops.

does anyone know if one of these with a miniUSB connector will work (eg one that was designed to charge the magiciann)?

Edited by afhstingray

• 1 month later...
Guest belfast-biker
i'll be in singapore next week, and i know for a fact there are a ton of battery extenders being sold in this massive shopping mall there that has like 5 floors of techology shops.

does anyone know if one of these with a miniUSB connector will work (eg one that was designed to charge the magiciann)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would love to know this also - I have one which worked for my now-dead imate JAM - the JASJAR ones that are on sale LOOK identical.... same connector obviously too.

Should I risk frying my device though? ;)

Guest Confucious

You guys actually think about these things?

I use the car charger I got for my C500 with my Universal and never even thought that they might not be compatable, I just assumed it would work and it did.

If I was you Belfast-Biker I'd try it and see - just don't blame me when it fries.....

:D

Hope everyone had a good Crimbles and enjoys the new year ;)

Guest Disco Stu

I've just bought one for my Jam from AddonsWorld.com despite having a 2-pin adaptor already. You never know, I may be on that Mexican beach when the footie scores are coming in on New Year's Day. 8)

Guest dolphinsmile

Yes they work I have one which I got from expansys.

It didnt work with the c500 but works well with the universal.

My next purchase is going to be a solar charger for, four AA batteries

that once charge for free by the sun can then be used to charge the universal allowing me to collect mail when sailing in the med next summer.

Guest afhstingray
You guys actually think about these things?

I use the car charger I got for my C500 with my Universal and never even thought that they might not be compatable, I just assumed it would work and it did.

they dont let you open the box and try it in the shop, you gotta buy it.....i dint want to waste $$$ on something that wouldnt work!

Guest belfast-biker
Would love to know this also - I have one which worked for my now-dead imate JAM - the JASJAR ones that are on sale LOOK identical.... same connector obviously too.

Should I risk frying my device though? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just tried it - it fails to make any lights turn on on the Exec, fails to charge it.

Ah well, onto ebay it goes, along with my jam holder, spare battery, 3.5jmm adaptor... should make someone with a jam a nice wee post xmas gift!

My next purchase is going to be a solar charger for, four AA batteries

that once charge for free by the sun can then be used to charge the universal allowing me to collect mail when sailing in the med next summer.

Make sure you investigate this properly before you waste any money.

1. Many "emergency" cell phone chargers use a 9V battery or 4x 1.5V (=6V). Rechargeable AA/AAA's are only 1.2V max, so 4 would only give 4.8V off load, nowhere near enough to charge via USB.

2. The self-contained "portable" solar chargers sold in accessory shops are crap and rarely have enough power to do anything more than trickle charge - even in full sun. That means at least 14 hours to achieve a full charge from flat.

3. Rechargeable batteries hate heat. So baking them in the sun all that time is going to shorten their life considerably. You'll probably find that when the sun goes, the residual heat causes them to lose most of the charge you've just built up!

You'd be much better off looking for something to run off the boat's power supply.

Edited by Metoo

Guest dolphinsmile

Thing is when the boats not in port and your sailing the boat batteries are the only available power so there’s no chance of hooking up to them. I understand what your saying about the heat issue. Maybe I’ll find one with an extra long cable running from the panels to the battery pack, thus allowing it to be kept in the shade when charging.

Thanks for the info I’ll look hard now before a good purchase.

On the other hand I could just buy lots of Duracells.

Edited by dolphinsmile

Guest afhstingray

they can charge usb, a friend with an xdaII mini,which is basically the magician is able to use his device while plugged into the extender to play mp3's for over 20 hours!!!

I got approx 30 hrs with my sony clie nx70 with one of em extenders, using sanyo 2300ma nimh's

they can charge usb, a friend with an xdaII mini,which is basically the magician is able to use his device while plugged into the extender to play mp3's for over 20 hours!!!

I got approx 30 hrs with my sony clie nx70 with one of em extenders, using sanyo 2300ma nimh's

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it's actually charging the battery, more likely just running the device while plugged in. Does the charge LED come on?

• 1 month later...