Wizard wont sync with Windows Media Player

Guest Exodia

Hey folks,

I tried syncing my 9100 with media player 10 today for the first time and it simply would not detect my device. I played around with all the settings i could but it just wont work. Anyone having this problem? Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks

Guest adchaffey
Hey folks,

I tried syncing my 9100 with media player 10 today for the first time and it simply would not detect my device. I played around with all the settings i could but it just wont work. Anyone having this problem? Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use media player 10 all the time now to sync with my MDA Vario, not had any problems. Works well.

So if you hit the Sync tab in media player 10, there is no sign of a device? Are you connected via active sync?? USB or bluetooth??

I know this problem, was living blissfully with the ability to load up my 1GB miniSD with tunes for the day and then suddenly it refused to recognise my device, yet it was still activesync'ing ok.

I have it working now but I'm not sure what fixed it precisely, I think you have to make sure you have the offical release of AS 4.1, which is build number 4841. Previously I was using the unofficial beta release, I think this is what fixed it. The only other thing that could have fixed it was the computer I was sync'ing with I had to do a fresh user profile for myself, so that could have also cleared it but I'm pretty sure it was related to the build of AS.

Hope it helps, it's one of the best features IMO.

Edited by Rob.P

Guest adchaffey
Thanks fellas,

I thought i had the latest version of activesync but i didnt. I updated to the latest version and all is well now. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congrats! :D

Just out of interest, so far I've just copied my MP3's in to my own directory structure, but does sync'ing through Window Medias Player 10 (from PC):

a. display the album cover when tracks are played on the Wizard thru WMP10 (which would be great).

b. just dump them on your SD card, or actually place them in some sensible directoryb structure? Seem to recall trying on previous version, which just dumped them on SD root.

Just wondering.

So far my experience so far has been;

a. yes, it seems to put them in the root of a folder called "Music", the covers show up nicely in WMP on the device.

b. I started off by creating a folder called "My Music" in the My Documents folder on my SD Card, and when I hit sync I found that it automatically created a folder on the root of the SD Card called "Music" and since then it has always automatically copied my albums into there like it does at home. So tries to keep album/artist the structure your PC would have.

Who needs an iPod (bring on the 4GB miniSD's :) )

Edited by Rob.P

Guest adchaffey

Yeah, the album covers are displayed, which is a nice touch.

There is actually a setting in WMP10 on your PC to set how you want music to be stored on your device. Go to Tools > Options and do the the Devices tab (with your phone connected via active sync). Select your storage card, and then hit properties. There is an option for maintining the folder hierarchy on the device, and also some settings for changing the quality of tracks when sending them to the device.

One thing that annoys me with the Wizard and WMP, is that you can't seem to be able to "lock" the screen/controls and still play whatever you're listening to. Occasionally, whilst listening to an MP3 via WMP, and with the Wizard in my suit jacket pocket, I seem to knock it, and it starts rewinding/fast forwarding for a few seconds, which is annoying.

Anyone have any suggestions/solutions, other that use a case or don't knock it ? :roll:

Guest adchaffey
One thing that annoys me with the Wizard and WMP, is that you can't seem to be able to "lock" the screen/controls and still play whatever you're listening to. Occasionally, whilst listening to an MP3 via WMP, and with the Wizard in my suit jacket pocket, I seem to knock it, and it starts rewinding/fast forwarding for a few seconds, which is annoying.

Anyone have any suggestions/solutions, other that use a case or don't knock it ? :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By default Media Player will still play music in the background when you close it, although this is an option i think in the settings somewhere. So all I do is close WMP and return to the home screen. Then lock the phone by tapping the "Device Unlocked" on the home screen.

And voila!!

By default Media Player will still play music in the background when you close it, although this is an option i think in the settings somewhere. So all I do is close WMP and return to the home screen. Then lock the phone by tapping the "Device Unlocked" on the home screen.

And voila!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice one, thanks...

In WMP Menu --> Options, then uncheck "Pause playback whilse using another program".

Obvious now I see it.

Cheers.

Guest adchaffey
Nice one, thanks...

In WMP Menu --> Options, then uncheck  "Pause playback whilse using another program".

Obvious now I see it.

Cheers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No worries, Happy listening!

Don't know if anyone else agrees, but the sound quality from the wizard is pretty impressive. With a decent pair of headphone, although I'm quite impressed by the ones supplied, the sound is a hundred times better than my old C500.

^ Defiantely, I'm still impressed by the quality. I load up tunes for the day and when I'm teaching I plug the phone into the projector set-up speakers, v.decent quality, handy having the slider button on the side for quick volume control.

Still luvin this phone :)

• 1 month later...
Guest mkent_barbados

Well, I am now having the "no devices detected problem". I used to be able to sync with no problem, but I had to change domains on my laptop, which reset everything. ActiveSync works again (had to set up a new partnership) but WMP10 doesn't, any ideas?

Thanks!

Guest Drewtech
Well, I am now having the "no devices detected problem".  I used to be able to sync with no problem, but I had to change domains on my laptop, which reset everything.  ActiveSync works again (had to set up a new partnership) but WMP10 doesn't, any ideas?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need a partnership to sync with WMP. Try just using a guest connection and see if this works. I synch to my Exchange Server wirelessly so no longer bother with a partnership on my PC and everything works great.

Guest mattwaddy

I can get WMP10 to sync with my device, but as soon as i ask it to convert the tracks to a loer bitrate such as 64 or 128 it just comes up with a 'the server threw an exception' does anyone currently do this / got it working?

Guest Pondrew

Thought I'd better post that I had this problem too, whereby Windows Media Player would report 'No device detected, press f5 to refresh' and it was impossible to sync, on my MDA Compact II.

Having succesfully connected the MDA Compact II to Windows Media Player on another pc I knew it wasn't the device.

Managed to resolve the problem easily enough. Just had to reinstall Activesync 4.1. Pretty sure that it was a usb driver problem...

Thought i'd resurrect this thread, rather than start another WMP one.

An annoyance I have, that i'm hoping someone else has had and has solved, is WMP always defaulting to Library: My Device. I'd prefer it to default to Library: Storage Card

Anybody know of a way to sort this. I'd be happy even with a registry hack.

Guest adchaffey
Thought i'd resurrect this thread, rather than start another WMP one.

An annoyance I have, that i'm hoping someone else has had and has solved, is WMP always defaulting to Library: My Device. I'd prefer it to default to Library: Storage Card

Anybody know of a way to sort this. I'd be happy even with a registry hack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah this drives me insane. Actually might be worth starting another thread as i think this might be quite a common anoyance! It's really frustrating when I'm in my car listening to music and have to use the stylus to switch to storage card.

Also something that struck me the other day... if you have Voice command, which I'm thinking of purchasing soon, when you start media player and it helps you choose your tracks to play will it just look on the device or will it look on the storage card??

It's really frustrating when I'm in my car listening to music and have to use the stylus to switch to storage card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And dangerous, I should imagine!

Relieved i'm not the only one. Can't believe, though, that it's the sort of thing they'd have hardcoded in to the software - hold on, it's Microsoft, ofcourse they could have :)

I might have a trawl through the registry if I can find some spare time. Might reveal something....