T-Mobile MDA Compact II with WM5 available now

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

That's right folks, the device you're looking at, as originally posted by member Fleabag here, is the newly available MDA Compact II complete with Windows Mobile 5 which is available now!

post-2910-1134153649_thumb.jpg post-2910-1134153681_thumb.jpg

The spec is as follows and may come as a surprise to owners of the previous MDA Compact (HTC Magician):

Processor: TI OMAP 850 195MHz

Memory: ROM 128mg RAM 64MB DDR SDRAM

Operating System: Windows Mobile 5.0

Screen: 2.8" Transflective TFT-LCD with backlight LEDs, touch sensitive screen

GSM/EDGE Module: GSM/EDGE Quad band (850, 900, 1800 and 1900)

Camera: CMOS 1.3Mega pixel with fixed lens

Physical Dimensions: 108mm x 58mm x 18.2mm

Weight: 150g (with battery)

Quad band, EDGE, WM5.0 and the change to the OMAP 850 processor (as used in the MDA Vario aka HTC Wizard) are particularly of note.

The device is already available on Web N Walk here on the T-Mobile UK site.

The device is currently available in Baby Pink(!) and Graphite Grey.

My own MDA Compact II is just receiving it's first charge so expect a review in a few days. :)

Guest tindo196

ok besides the wm5 upgrade and the many coloured housings this phone is an mda 1software upgrade in all but name . My belief is if it is similar to the specs mentioned above and not similar to the dopod818 ie include wi-fi and a 2megapixel camera ,its a fraud, i really dont believe this

Guest Pondrew

Eh? The hardware is drastically different! An upgrade to Quad band, the inclusion of EDGE, extra memory and WM5.0 isn't an improvement? You're entitled to your opinion though. :roll:

Guest ultimasnake

can someone please tell me what's up with the VERY slow processor? Compared to the jam it's half the speed.... is it a processor like the athlon range (where 3500+ is a processor @ 2.2ghz but just as fast as a 3,5ghz?)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Its a newer version of the processor, and the 200Mhz cpus on the Wizards handle WM absolutely fine.

It also has 2x the RAM and quad bank now :)

Guest davidhoff

Im very curious about the real speed of this device, the new processor really sounds interesting. I heard that most software like game-emulators arent yet optimised for this kind cpu`s. Can somebody please post some benchmarks (like TCMP or Morphgear) with this new device (or a HTC Wizard)?

Hi

Can somenoe confirm whether this device has wifi, it was my understanding that it has the SDIO chip as does its predecessor, however on looking at Cls Electronics. they suggest that it is built in, ie no need for a WLAN card.

Thanks

Jim

PS looks like I wont be getting my machine til monday :)

Guest dave106

This phone identical to a wizard, internally, then? (minus wifi and keyboard) Do you reckon the wizard unlock on imei-check would unlock it for use with all sims? i assume t-mobile simlocks their devices?

This phone identical to a wizard, internally, then? (minus wifi and keyboard) Do you reckon the wizard unlock on imei-check would unlock it for use with all sims? i assume t-mobile simlocks their devices?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are better off speaking to the guys at imei check directly, they have confirmed that they will have an unlocking solution available soon for the Compact II soon however.

Jim

Guest Pondrew
Can somenoe confirm whether this device has wifi, it was my understanding that it has the SDIO chip as does its predecessor, however on looking at Cls Electronics. they suggest that it is built in, ie no need for a WLAN card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most definately NO wifi on board. Some websites have referred to it as wifi ready (possibly due to the OMAP 850 processor describing itself the same) but the end result is the same, you'll need an SDIO wifi card for wifi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Affirmative to T-Mobile devices being sim locked by default. No idea if www.imei-check.com already supports the device. I know the MDA Compact II isn't an HTC Wizard, but the two do share the QUAD band feature. Doubt there hardware is that similar due to the missing wifi and keyboard and mini-sd slot...

Guest Fleabag
Most definately NO wifi on board. Some websites have referred to it as wifi ready (possibly due to the OMAP 850 processor describing itself the same) but the end result is the same, you'll need an SDIO wifi card for wifi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The info I have suggests it is WiFi ready, but I must admit I doubt that myself...

On a side note, this has been available for upgrade for three weeks now. Strangely it's cheaper than the MDA Compact (RRP £149.99) at a delightful £139.99.

Guest spangelsaregreat

Hi,

My contract (with T-Mobile) is up in Feb/March so I will be looking at replacement for my MDA Compact fairly shortly.

T-Mobiles Web and Walk deals look pretty interesting but I am not so sure that the Compact II is worth the upgrade from the original.

I really like the look of the ATOM and may consider buying one SIM free and selling whatever phone I get from T-Mobile on upgrading. That said it will probably depend on what sort of deal T-Mobile offer me and the Compact II may turn out to be the best option.

I would like FM radio hence the ATOM but on a day to day basis the Compact II would probably do the job.

My only concern is how the new processor would work with Tom Tom and Memory Map Sat Nav (the Compact I works faultlessly) and with Pocket DVD Wizard videos in WMP. I would be interested to hear how Pondrew gets on with the Compact II with these apps.

One positive thing about the Compact II is the pink colour has finally piqued SWMBO interest in Pocket PCs!!

Regards

Guest Alsicole

I think the pink is a great idea. I see a lot of guys on various sites who get grief from their wives/girlfriends about their gadget habits. If you can hook her in to the WM love with a cute pink phone, then that's got to help matters. BTW being a gadget girly myself, I'm happy to point out the handbag benefits to other girls who might be pondering PDA/Phone for the first time. :)

Still waiting :)), anyway I have heard that some WM2003 apps may work on this platform even some for the smartphones, however due to screen resolution and size as well as limitation of not having a number pad, things can get a bit confusing..... as the other reviewer put it, a true sign of platform convergence of the PPC and the SP devices.

ntil later

Jim

Guest Pondrew
Looks like O2 might be releasing a WM5 Magician too,

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2736&catid=20

Dont know about the screenshot but both devices show the windows and ok key instead of the normal magician buttons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to say that the XDA Mini Limited Edition is just the HTC Magician in different colours. Doesn't even have extra memory :)

I thought the same as you when I saw it on the O2 portal here but after doing some research I discovered there's NO difference between it and the original XDA Mini (the one that was never released here in the UK)! So it's only tri band and only has 64meg ram and 64meg rom AND only Windows Mobile 2003SE. Don't ask me why... :?:

Well, after 2 days use most impressions very good but some bad. Stay tuned for the review...  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea when the review is due?

I just ebayed some some and I champing at the bit to buy a new toy!

I'm mainly a data user of 1 to 30MB a month and make few calls (mainly receive) It's allways made me laugh that you can get a nice shiney 3G phone for £30 a month and it doesn't even include data (3g !!!!)

To me the attraction of the Web n walk is the 40MB which is pretty unheard of. So the compact ii is just a bonus for me

Can someone whos got one answer me the following:

1. Is it right the line rental stays at 1/2 after 18 months --- I'm looking at it as £13 a month for 40MB of data for life (with a little peak of £28 a month for 6 months) which to be honest - will do me fine :)

2. Even though the Compact ii isn't 3G do T-Mobile supply it with a usim 3g card

3. Can you use the sim (with the right equipment or cable) with a laptop to surf - or is it ringfenced in some way

4. If you put the sim in a 3g handset does it work at 3g speeds or is web n walk strictly GPRS

Imagine my suprise when I find I've got a t-mobile 3g transmitter at the other side of the field :shock: :shock: :D ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.