Activesync 4.1 problem using Qtek 8310 and WM 5

Guest desiere

Guest desiere

I syncronize at home and at work.

At home I use XP and ActiveSync (AS) 4.1 previously 4.0. everything still works.

I am using at work Windows 2000 SP4 previously with AS 4.0 which worked fine with my Qtek 8310.

Now suddenly, after I upgraded to AS 4.1, I cannot establish any connection any more at the work PC. Home PC still working.

Can that be a problem witht he USB drivers? I deinstalled the whole thing twice. I cannot manage to reconnect . HEEEEEEEEEELP please. :evil:

Edited by desiere

Guest desiere
disable your firewall and it will work (me think's :S :) )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean? There is no software firewall on my work PC.

By the way, a colleague has managed to make it run, even on bluetooth, However, in my case is doen't work.

I did some USB driver updates before upgrading to 4.1. Can this be the reason?

Thnx.

maybe, go to device manager on your pc with your smartphone attached to usb and uninstall the current device attached, remove cable and re-insert it and let it auto install.

Guest desiere
maybe, go to device manager on your pc with your smartphone attached to usb and uninstall the current device attached, remove cable and re-insert it and let it auto install.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did this just now, It doesn't resolve the problem.

What happened when I USB connected the Smartphone for the first time, it installed a "Generic RNDIS" and then a network adaptor called "Windows Mobile based device #8". The latter is visible in teh device manager.

Might there be a USB driver conflict?

Thnxs

What happened when I USB connected the Smartphone for the first time, it installed a "Generic RNDIS" and then a network adaptor called "Windows Mobile based device #8". The latter is visible in teh device manager.

I had the same issue, I reinstalled the 4.0 Async and everything is just coming up roses.

The "Windows mobile based device" is a network adapter, the way Async works nowadays.... bit slow on start but it works. The number 8 assigned to it roughly resembles the times it sees the phone on a different port or instance. When you use another USB port it sees this phone/port combination as a new device. Ah well try to deinstall Async and reinstall it. You should backup the information you have first, just to be shure. No fun in typing in your contacts again.

Thnxs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi guys... Read below what I've posted in another similar topic

Hi there...

I was stuck with a similar connection problem and I figured out after hours of checking, installing/uninstalling and (of course) browsing the net...

The C600 and ActiveSync 4.0/4.1 use a new way of communication, that is through a "network connection". This is what you see when you connect your phone. A new device appear in the "Network Adapters" section in Device Manager sayin something like "Windows Mobile Based device...". Also a new network connection is shown up in "Network Connections" in Control Pannel. If you didn't already checked, go to that network connection, right click it and select "Properties". Then make sure that the following ARE checked (and nothing else): Client for Microsoft Networks, File & Printer Sharing for... AND TCP/IP. Without the protocol the phone IS recognized but is not communicating. TCP/IP setings should be left on "auto detect" no IP should be manually set.

The problem is due to the fact that, after a reinstall of ActiveSync, the USB drivers are updated as well and those are the drivers for the simulated network card (used for communication with the PC). As you may know, if you reinstall the drivers for a network card, the device is installed but WITHOUT any protocol selected. All boxes there are un-ticked. Doesn't matter if you had 3.8 or not before.... Wanna check? At home you said it's working... OK. Reinstall ActiveSync... and it wont work. For me, Ive started with a fresh install of 4.0, it worked and after upgrading to 4.1 it didn't. Only after checking the 3 boxes in network connection properties.

Hope it helps... Good Luck

SO... to conclude... check your new network connection made with that new RNDIS adapter and see if there are any protocols checked... Without protocolos you have no connection...

Guest VietNinjaXTC

I hope this works for the SP5 too 'cause all I get on ActiveSync is "Retrieving Settings..." and it never goes away and the settings are never retrieved.

Hi guys... Read below what I've posted in another similar topic

Hi there...

I was stuck with a similar connection problem and I figured out after hours of checking, installing/uninstalling and (of course) browsing the net...

The C600 and ActiveSync 4.0/4.1 use a new way of communication, that is through a "network connection". This is what you see when you connect your phone. A new device appear in the "Network Adapters" section in Device Manager sayin something like "Windows Mobile Based device...". Also a new network connection is shown up in "Network Connections" in Control Pannel. If you didn't already checked, go to that network connection, right click it and select "Properties". Then make sure that the following ARE checked (and nothing else): Client for Microsoft Networks, File & Printer Sharing for... AND TCP/IP. Without the protocol the phone IS recognized but is not communicating. TCP/IP setings should be left on "auto detect" no IP should be manually set.

The problem is due to the fact that, after a reinstall of ActiveSync, the USB drivers are updated as well and those are the drivers for the simulated network card (used for communication with the PC). As you may know, if you reinstall the drivers for a network card, the device is installed but WITHOUT any protocol selected. All boxes there are un-ticked. Doesn't matter if you had 3.8 or not before.... Wanna check? At home you said it's working... OK. Reinstall ActiveSync... and it wont work. For me, Ive started with a fresh install of 4.0, it worked and after upgrading to 4.1 it didn't. Only after checking the 3 boxes in network connection properties.

Hope it helps... Good Luck

SO... to conclude... check your new network connection made with that new RNDIS adapter and see if there are any protocols checked... Without protocolos you have no connection...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi.

I have similar problems and have tried all the reinstallation/firewall & av disabling/usb driver stack refresh. Although I get a new network adapter in Device Manager, I don't get a new network connection. Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest smonteiro

Hi,

I had the same problem, and logged a case with HP...no luck...

But...I had also tried to install activesync 4.0 (after 4.1)...no luck...

and the I went into devicemanager, selected the windows mobile-based device network card,

selected driver, select update driver, display a list, and selected an older version (xx.1453).

After that, the network card showed up in my network connections!!!!

Hope this helps you! :idea:

Regards

Hi.

I have similar problems and have tried all the reinstallation/firewall & av disabling/usb driver stack refresh.  Although I get a new network adapter in Device Manager, I don't get a new network connection.  Any ideas?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent.

Thanks smonteiro

I've selected an older version (xx.1453).

the local area connection popped up again.

had to enabled properties for this connection as their where switched off.

Internet protocol (tcp/ip) and so on..... and finaly

ActiveSync worked... for the first time :-)

excellent tip.

Good Thread this..

--

Jan Erik

Some other tips:

ActiveSync 4.1

Microsoft has released version 4.1 of ActiveSync. This is the "official" current version of ActiveSync for Windows Mobile 5 devices. If you are not running Windows Mobile 5 you should stick with ActiveSync Version 3.8 because that provides functionality you will lose in upgrading to ActiveSync 4.1. You can synchronize older devices with ActiveSync 4.1, but you will lose the ability to synchronize over a network.

Looking at the ReadMe file, there are several key points of information that I think are worth highlighting.

To successfully uninstall ActiveSync 4.1 and reinstall a previous version of ActiveSync on your desktop PC, perform the following procedure.

1. Uninstall ActiveSync 4.1.

2. Open File Explorer, navigate to the System32 directory in your Windows directory, and then manually delete the dynamic-link library Rapi.dll.

3. Reinstall the previous version of ActiveSync.

If the desktop PC operating system is upgraded, or a Service Pack is installed, you must perform a repair installation of ActiveSync in order to enable the expected ActiveSync functionality.

If the Windows Media Player application is upgraded to Windows Media Player 10 after you have installed ActiveSync on your desktop PC, you must perform a repair installation of ActiveSync. This enables successful Media Synchronization to a Windows Mobile-based device.

If the desktop PC operating system is Windows XP SP1, EHCI USB 2.0 host controllers might cause unexpected drops in the USB connection between the PC and a device.

For information about successfully resolving this issue, see article 822603, "Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update" in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com.

Multiple simultaneously running user sessions on a desktop PC that is running ActiveSync are not supported. In otherwords, you cannot do users switching with ActiveSync, you must log off and then log on to synchronize devices between different user ids.

If non-Microsoft firewall software is installed and running on your desktop PC, you might need to configure the software to allow the following ports in order for ActiveSync to function: 5678, 5679, 990, 26675, and 5721.

Sometimes antivirus software that is installed on your desktop PC can conflict with ActiveSync functionality.

In rare cases, some LAN configuration tools might also conflict with an ActiveSync connection. To enable your Windows Mobile-based device to successfully synchronize with your desktop PC, you might need to disable the LAN configuration tools.

• 2 months later...

I have a new SDA but can't get it to connect to my work pc, activesync just says connecting forever. I tried to change macafee but it looks as though I don't have access to do so. Am I screwed?? I NEED syncronization, otherwise I'll take this phone back... thanks!

Guest achnet
Hi,

I had the same problem, and logged a case with HP...no luck...

But...I had also tried to install activesync 4.0 (after 4.1)...no luck...

and the I went into devicemanager, selected the windows mobile-based device network card,

selected driver, select update driver, display a list, and selected an older version (xx.1453).

After that, the network card showed up in my network connections!!!!

Hope this helps you!  :idea:

Regards

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can someone send me the xx.1453 driver? I have 1454 and it drives m mad!!!

Guest czbird
Can someone send me the xx.1453 driver? I have 1454 and it drives m mad!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you check ActiveSync log files at all? At least you'll know the error #'s.

Go to your %TEMP% folder and look for these files:

WCESCOMM.LOG

WCESMGR.LOG

WCESVIEW.LOG

WCESLOG.LOG

After you know the error #'s, check various ActiveSync troubleshooting guides for their possible explanations.

Guest r3m0t3

I have a problem too... My C600 used to work fine with Activesync 4.1. Until one day when it failed working, it froze and I had to hard reset it. Still it wouldn't work. It would remain stuck on "Looking for changes". I tried just about anything. I thought it was due to Norton Antivirus 2006. I formatted my PC, reinstalled Windows XP Professional with SP2 + all updates from Windows Update site. I did not install any firewall or antivirus and also I disabled the Windows Firewall. Still I cannot synchronize. This time I get "No partnerships. Not connected" although the Activesync icon is green as if connected. I cannot browse my device, I cannot do anything. And all this happens on a fresh install of Win Xp and on a factory-default SPV C600. This in unbelievable.

Guest r3m0t3

This is what I found in my wcescomm.log

03/31/2006 22:36:17.171 - Windows CE Services (4.1.0) Communication Logging.

03/31/2006 22:36:17.171 - IrUtil: IrDA socket cannot be created, error code 10093.

03/31/2006 22:36:17.171 - Windows CE Services Communication started.

03/31/2006 22:36:17.531 - Started desktop passthru TCP2UDP component

03/31/2006 22:36:17.625 - Connection: Prep for a new socket connection.

03/31/2006 22:38:12.625 - Start scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 22:38:12.625 - COM1 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 22:38:12.625 - COM2 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 22:38:13.156 - COM3 - Available.

03/31/2006 22:38:13.156 - IrUtil: IrDA socket cannot be created, error code 10047.

03/31/2006 22:38:13.171 - End scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 22:38:36.187 - Start scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 22:38:36.203 - COM1 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 22:38:36.203 - COM2 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 22:38:36.703 - COM3 - Available.

03/31/2006 22:38:36.703 - IrUtil: IrDA socket cannot be created, error code 10047.

03/31/2006 22:38:36.718 - End scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 22:38:52.828 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification

03/31/2006 22:40:25.140 - Start scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 22:40:25.140 - COM1 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 22:40:25.140 - COM2 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 22:40:25.531 - COM3 - Available.

03/31/2006 22:40:25.531 - IrUtil: IrDA socket cannot be created, error code 10047.

03/31/2006 22:40:25.531 - End scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 22:47:37.968 - USB RNDIS: Device Removal notification

03/31/2006 22:47:51.921 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification

03/31/2006 22:47:58.046 - USB RNDIS: Device Removal notification

03/31/2006 23:00:13.671 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification

03/31/2006 23:00:22.125 - USB RNDIS: Device Removal notification

03/31/2006 23:01:06.375 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification

03/31/2006 23:01:28.203 - Start scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 23:01:28.203 - COM1 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 23:01:28.203 - COM2 - Not installed. 2

03/31/2006 23:01:28.640 - COM3 - Available.

03/31/2006 23:01:28.640 - IrUtil: IrDA socket cannot be created, error code 10047.

03/31/2006 23:01:28.640 - End scan for serial devices.

03/31/2006 23:03:38.312 - USB RNDIS: Device Removal notification

03/31/2006 23:03:49.562 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification

03/31/2006 23:06:36.328 - USB RNDIS: Device Removal notification

03/31/2006 23:06:48.625 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification

03/31/2006 23:08:49.500 - USB RNDIS: Device Removal notification

03/31/2006 23:09:07.781 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification

• 1 month later...
Guest bosh

I'm having similar issues with my 8310, cannot sync on home PC, but fine on work PC (almost identical set-ups). What I've picked up on (which no-one else seems to have mentioned in all the searches I've carried out) is that when looking at Local Area Connection of the phone (in Network Connections) whilst it is trying to connect, click on Support tab, and says next to Address Type 'Invalid IP address'... and just stays like that, never connects. On PC at work, it initially says same whilst it connects, but then 'Assigned by DHCP' and Activesync starts up. So I've tried everything suggested here, and no luck so far. Does this issue ring any bells with anyone, or do I have a more 'unique' problem'?

Another strange, and irritating quirk, is that phone varies between displaying 'Home Service' and 'O2 UK' seemingly randomly... whats more, when displaying Home Service, you lose the calendar entry between the time and profile (this is on Windows Default home screen layout). Anyone come across this???

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rsbrux
A new device appear in the "Network Adapters" section in Device Manager sayin something like "Windows Mobile Based device...". Also a new network connection is shown up in "Network Connections" in Control Pannel. If you didn't already checked, go to that network connection, right click it and select "Properties". Then make sure that the following ARE checked (and nothing else): Client for Microsoft Networks, File & Printer Sharing for... AND TCP/IP. Without the protocol the phone IS recognized but is not communicating. TCP/IP setings should be left on "auto detect" no IP should be manually set.

I do indeed have a new RNDIS device named "Windows Mobile-based Device #10" in device manager after connecting my SPV-M3000 (HTC Wizard). Unfortunately, its "Properties" dialog has no tabs other than "General" and "Driver", so there is no place for enabling protocols. No new connection appears in "Network and Dial-Up Connections", even though ActiveSync 4.1.4841.0 says "Connected". As several others have reported here, AS4 just sits there, "Retrieving Settings..." forever.

I have tried just about everything I have read about, including the update to Office 2k/SP3 and opening up my firewall (Sygate Personal). I am running Win2k/SP4. I haven't yet tried the rollback from the RNDIS driver version 5.2.3790.1454 to the previous build (1453) because I haven't found a copy. Where can I find it? What else should I try?

Guest kam_

Just use this to switch from RNDIS to the good old Serial over USB mode that activesync 3.8 used to use:

http://www.smartphonefrance.info/actu.asp?ID=3492

A very similar (same?) program is included in the new i-mate rom. In RNDIS mode it drives my WiFi driver nuts, so i just stick to serial mode now. Only downside is that its slightly slower transfering files - but not much.

(Hopefully you got a memory card reader to get it on your phone in the first place? Otherwise email it to your self hehe, and pick up the email on the phone)

Edited by kam_