Can I use mp3-files as ring tones?

Guest Smeicy

Hi everybody

How do I get my Qtek 8310 to use mp3-files as ring tones?

The manual claims that it is possible – but I can’t figure out where to put the files and how WM5 recognizes them.

Can anybody help?

Cheers

Smeicy

Guest waygadoo

hi,of course u can. Go to file explorer-application data-sounds. But why storing in the precious internal memory.I think u should download RJV TONE SETTER because u can link files from your storage card and set a ringtone for sms,alarm,reminder,ringtone etc. It' free as well ;-) :)

hi,of course u can. Go to file explorer-application data-sounds. But why storing in the precious internal memory.I think u should download RJV TONE SETTER because u can link files from your storage card and set a ringtone for sms,alarm,reminder,ringtone etc. It' free as well ;-) :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

But do I really need an unknown freeware program to use an mp3-file as a ring tone?

Cheers

Smeicy

• 1 month later...

When I put an .mp3 in the folder it will show up under settings and I will attempt to select it. The settings will not allow me to select done or actually test play the song like you can other rings. Anybody else have this problem or have any ideas? I have tried multiple songs to clearify that it isnt the mp3.

Guest Disco Stu

Have you installed another media player - such as TCPMP ?

Use a file manager / explorer on the phone (Binarys Smart Explorer is the best) to reassociate MP3 files with Windows Media Player.

I reassociated the file so that when I click on it, WMP opens and plays it. I got back to the settings the song is there it wont test play and still wont let me click done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joemanb
I reassociated the file so that when I click on it, WMP opens and plays it.  I got back to the settings the song is there it wont test play and still wont let me click done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had this same problem, I had to rebuild the registry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File]

"EditFlags"=dword:00010000

@="MP3 Format Sound"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{E88B4A18-6F77-4bb6-8E0D-DCD4B1F8F1DA}]

"DelayLoad"=dword:00000000

@="Set as Ringtone"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shellex\EventSoundHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shellex\EventSoundHandlers\{245F94CF-DD9C-46F9-B4C8-D2B14A877893}]

@="XME EventSound Player"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\Shell\Open\Command]

@="wmplayer.exe \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3File\DefaultIcon]

@="wmplayer.exe,-2002"

I actually had to do a hard reset to get it back, because I didn't know the class for the EventSoundHandlers, it's different for different file types, and it doesn't get restored when you reassociate Mp3 files with windows media player.

Maybe this will help someone else avoid a Hard reset..

back up everything first!

hope this helps

Joemanb

• 1 year later...
Guest cosas

First post, I hope I'm helpful.

I found this post while searching for an answer to why my .mp3 files would not play (or be used as a ringtone) on my Cingular 2125 WM5 smartphone after I had uninstalled some media playing program. With the help of joemanb posting the registry in a working state, I figured why not and try to fix my problem, basing it off what joemanb had posted previously. After reviewing my registry settings incomparison to jobmanb's settings, I found that nothing had differed, except for the fact that I didn't have the "ContextMenuHandlers" folder in my registry. From fiddling with media files that did play correctly in Windows Media Player on my smartphone, I noticed that they were associated with their extension name (obviously...I can't think of a better way to reword that to make it no so... plainly obvious.) I had recalled I checked out the .mp3 extension in the registry and found that it value data of "avifile"...this appeared to be a little off to me, so I scanned through other extensions and found that they had their respective file extension value names... **Now, I do not know if this holds true for EVERY single file extension** So now I will explain how easily it is to fix an incorrect file association with windows media player, regarding mp3's...

**I take no responsibility for any damage or further problems, etc, etc...**

1. Obtain a registry edit program. I used PHM Registry Editor 0.70.

2. Once you've put the file on your smartphone and run the program, BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY!

3. Now, enter into [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT] (first option).

4. You'll see a forever long list of extensions, scroll to ".mp3" and open it.

5. When you open it, you may not see anything, click on the "Values" button to the left.

6. You'll see "Default"...click it.

7. Now here's the part that I had to change - You'll see "Value name: Default" then "Value data: xxxxxx"...where I have the xxxxxx I originally saw "avifile"...so I clicked on that entry and deleted the "avifile" and replaced it with "mp3file"...

8. After you've changed the registry, choose "Done" and exit out of the registry edit.

9. Go to your file manager and see if you can play the .mp3 file by clicking on it, hopefully it should run in Windows media player without a problem...

10. If it does work, go ahead and go to your Settings>Sounds> and navigate to your mp3 file you want to play.

Hopefully this helps and is easily understood... any questions email me: [email protected]

¡Muchas gracias por su atención! ;)

cosas

• 3 months later...
Guest satyab

thanks a lot, cosas. This did solve my problem without hard resetting the phone. By the way, I got panicked and uninstalled TCPMP before doing this registry hack. Does it mean then TCPMP did not have to do anything with the MP3 files?? If I reinstall TCPMP will it be a problem again?

Update:

As a very impatient man, i did not wait for the answer to my TCPMP question. I installed it after the registry tweak and MP3 ringtones are fine. By the way, the culprit was pocketmusic. It changed the bloody registry setting and didn't remove it when I uninstalled it.

Edited by satyab

• 3 weeks later...