New XDA Exec Firmware

Guest Lordsmiff

Guest Lordsmiff

Just thought I'd let everyone know (if you don't already) that there is a new version of the O2 firmware availble on the my-xda.com website.

I'm just installing now so not get any ideas what to expect but I'll post as soon as it's on.

Cheers,

Smiff.

Guest removed-14
Just thought I'd let everyone know (if you don't already) that there is a new version of the O2 firmware availble on the my-xda.com website.

I'm just installing now so not get any ideas what to expect but I'll post as soon as it's on.

Cheers,

Smiff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was on the front page of coolsmartphone.com and MoDaCo before you posted but it would be good to hear your findings.

Chris

It looks like all it does is make changes to the o2 interface and turn off the error reporting. This isn't the ROM update including the OS updates from Microsoft as far as I can see.

Wizard

Guest Lordsmiff

I've no idea what OS updates you're talking about but my first impressions (subject to change after further playing :) is that the responsiveness of the device is much improved.

First off, the O2 Active abomination has gone. Yes it looked very pretty but it turned my brand new XDA Exec into a old, wheezy and outdated bit of kit. Now the new-kid has his running shoes on :)

Secondly, the O2 homescreen has bubbles again :D I know this will please a few people ;)

Also, that silly O2 logo that just took you to the today screen has gone off the top bar - it's passing will not be sadly missed.

There's a new battery indicator on the today screen as a plugin - looks quite nice but whether or not I'll be keeping it remains to be seen :D

As noted by other people, the error reporting is now disabled by default as is the incoming beams.

Overall, I would say so far that the upgrade is worth it.

In the past, I have always skipped the O2 customisation and done a vanilla install to stop the device from keeling over under the weight of the O2 software and now even with all the customisation it seems to be more responsive than my previous vanilla "builds".

The start menu responds almost instantly after a soft reboot or power on and that in itself is a recognisable improvement.

Finally, just a summary of the memory after the new ROM update:

Storage Memory:

Total: 43.72 MB

In Use: 11.22 MB

Free: 32.50

Program:

Total: 49.93

In Use: 19.52

Free: 30.41

HTH :)

Cheers,

Lordsmiff.

Guest twistedrevolution

Is anyone having problems accessing the update from teh O2 website? I have tried for the past few days and all I am getting is 'This page cannot be displayed' once I've entered my IMEI and mobile number.

Guest removed-14
Yep, getting the same thing... So I just did a Corp install, and it's MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better anyway!! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An then turn off error reporting and you pretty much have the ROM update!

Guest removed-14
Done it now. Not noticed any difference yet. No problems with my xda yet anyway!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No probs. it just increases speed a little, and will be better when multi tasking apps.

• 3 weeks later...
How did you all back-up all your old stuff before the upgrade, seeing as ActivSync doesn't back-up for WM5??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You got Activesync 4.1? - mine backs it all up!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest worrierprincess
You got Activesync 4.1? - mine backs it all up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about all of the apps I've installed, would I have to reinstall them all after an upgrade or does the latest active sync take care of that aswell?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mattyduk

Is there any way of reinstalling a vanilla version of WM5 on an O2 exec, without installing all the O2 active rubbish.

Its not my phone, but one of my directors, so I haven't had first hand experiance of it.

cheers

Mat

Guest Confucious
Is there any way of reinstalling a vanilla version of WM5 on an O2 exec, without installing all the O2 active rubbish.

Its not my phone, but one of my directors, so I haven't had first hand experiance of it.

cheers

Mat

Yes,

You get 3 options. Full (all O2 Rubbish) basic only O2'sa settings, (GPRS,MMS etc) but none of the rubbish or corporate - vanilla.

Not sure if they're called full and basic but you'll see when you load it.

HTH

Guest mattyduk
Yes,

You get 3 options. Full (all O2 Rubbish) basic only O2'sa settings, (GPRS,MMS etc) but none of the rubbish or corporate - vanilla.

Not sure if they're called full and basic but you'll see when you load it.

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers, so thats just from the O2 install disk i.e those 3 options are there, we don't need to get any other software ?

Guest Xavier
cheers, so thats just from the O2 install disk i.e those 3 options are there, we don't need to get any other software ?

better idea is to soft reset when the app installs begin on the first boot after you've factory reset.

Nothing gets installed then.