sat nav for spv m500

Guest dwj

I would like to get a complete bluetooth sat nav kit for my m500 and just wondering if anyone has some experience with the software on m500 phone. I believe tomtom is good; has anyone got experience with copilot live? seems they have version 6 just coming out. Thanks for any advice.

Guest Funster
I would like to get a complete bluetooth sat nav kit for my m500 and just wondering if anyone has some experience with the software on m500 phone. I believe tomtom is good; has anyone got experience with copilot live? seems they have version 6 just coming out. Thanks for any advice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the Navman 4410 with ST2 and it was crap. The maps were aweful, so many mistakes in routing it was almost unusable. The maps are the TeleAtlas ones which I believe TomTom use. Support from Navman was also poor, always claiming software updates and map updates would solve the problems, which they didn't. Avoid.

In contrast, I also also have a Garmin GPSMap 60C and that uses NavTec maps, these were spot on. Used alot in London and the south east and on a trip to Italy on my motorbike, not one routing error. Even found a remote house half way up a mountain where I stayed in Switzerland, simply amazing.

It really is a combination of the two, decent maps and decent routing software. I firmly believe you need to be looking for a GPS solution which uses the NavTec maps. I think Copilot and Mapopolis use them so I would check those out first.

Cheers

Funster

Guest awarner [MVP]

TeleAtlas maps are always being updated which TomTom mainly use (dependant on area). I have yet to find a navigational aid that can beat TomTom especially in the user friendly department.

You can not always blame the maps for mistakes in the route you have to take, this can be more the software at fault.

Guest Funster
TeleAtlas maps are always being updated which TomTom mainly use (dependant on area). I have yet to find a navigational aid that can beat TomTom especially in the user friendly department.

You can not always blame the maps for mistakes in the route you have to take, this can be more the software at fault.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When using the TeleAtlas maps in the Navman I was always being sent down one way streets the wrong way! I lost all confidence in that combination. I agree with the user friendliness of the TomTom, however, with such bad experiences with the mapping/routing I'll be avoiding any SatNav software which uses TeleAtlas. NavTech are always updating their maps too.

Garmin incidentally allow two devices to be registered with a map set, which is definitely a bonus. Unfortunately, Garmin don't do any PPC or Smartphone standalone software, so not much good.

Guest Peppermint Hippo

Tom Tom Navigator 5.21 (latet version) coupled with a Holux GPSlim HR236 bluetooth gps receiver is the best combination I have used. I've got a VPA Compact (Voda's version of M500).

Was out on the road today with work and few other people have sat navs as well so we done a comparison.

Me - TT 5.21 & Holux 236 GPS on VPA Compact

Mate 1 - TT 5.10 & cheapo ebay gps on SPV M500

Mate 2 - Destinator on Acer PDA (built in GPS)

Mine was faster, smoother and better at readjusting the route. The update to 5.21 on my TT Navigator has made a difference. Its very noticable even from version 5.10 which my colleague has.

May have seemed a bit sad doing the test but you've got to amuse yourself when you're driving from Birmingham to visit a forklift truck factory in Wolverhampton!

Guest awarner [MVP]
When using the TeleAtlas maps in the Navman I was always being sent down one way streets the wrong way! I lost all confidence in that combination.

That's why I said you can not blame the maps but more the actual application that uses them.

I've been using CoPilot 5 for about 6 months now and I really like it.

It pairs up with the bluetooth GPS each time without any problems. Routing is generally very good but occasionaly it will send you on a slightly longer way round but it always gets you there.

So far it never crashes (unlike TomTom from the reports on here) and recalculates routes incrediably fast. As to CoPilot 6 I don't know but from the reports on Pocket GPS world they seem to like it. All in all I would recommend it without fail.

Guest Mr_Blonde1971

I use TT with a Holux bluetooth GPS reciever and it works very well, If you go off route it reroutes in seconds, is very easy to use, with nice and clear instructions. It even turns the bluetooth on when you start the program up.

No complaints from me, but this is the only satnav software i have used. 8)

Hope it helps :exclaim:

Edited by Mr_Blonde1971

Guest Peppermint Hippo
I've been using CoPilot 5 for about 6 months now and I really like it.

It pairs up with the bluetooth GPS each time without any problems. Routing is generally very good but occasionaly it will send you on a slightly longer way round but it always gets you there.

So far it never crashes (unlike TomTom from the reports on here) and recalculates routes incrediably fast. As to CoPilot 6 I don't know but from the reports on Pocket GPS world they seem to like it. All in all I would recommend it without fail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My crashing problems with Tom Tom have been resolved with the upgrade to v5.21. Never used CoPilot. Would like to give it a go sometime but at the momemt, I have no complaints with TT.

Guest Samsonite

i rely on CoPilot 5 and have no real problems. Sometimes the BT pairing goes wonky but it has always worked out ok in the end.

Ever since a hard reset, the re-calc seems to take longer and i often think its crashed/locked but thens it all springs into life.

Overall routing is not bad at all... if you like stomping up and down m'ways. The algorithm must be fairly simple as they are always preferred when calculating the 'quickest' route when sometimes A roads are better. For example, I'm in Southampton and the quickest route to anywhere north of Luton is allegedly the M3,M25, M1.... no chance!! Loads better to use the A34/A43 and cut across if you want MK or M40/M42 for Coalville or similar...

Any satnav system will have its own quirks but you will always to justify the route it takes to the hardened rep who knows their way around! They are invaluable in the last 10 miles of any trip but it is better if you initally head off with experience rather than a blind faith in technology.

As for CP6, i would always get the latest version for a first purchase even if CP5 were dirt cheap. I want to upgrade but would prefer to hear some reports on the traffic loading/time of travel aspect of the route calculation side of things...

Guest maxwell_hung

Been using TT with a globalsat BT GPS and it's been great. The upgrade to 5.21 has solved some of the crashes at certain points on the maps.

Is it possible t oget updated maps without having to wait for TT? Some of the stuff is out of date.

Only problem I have at the moment is The handle on my glovebox is broke and my GPS is in there :cry:

Edited by maxwell_hung

i rely on CoPilot 5 and have no real problems.  Sometimes the BT pairing goes wonky but it has always worked out ok in the end.

Ever since a hard reset, the re-calc seems to take longer and i often think its crashed/locked but thens it all springs into life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have used Copilot 5 on a Pocket PC (Mio 168) for nearly a year and not had that many problems. After it came to an untimely death I have just got myself an M500 and a Holux Bluetooth GPS - not tried it yet but it's due for it's first run at the weekend so I'll let you know how it goes!

As for the locking/crashing problems, I did encounter that one myself but installing the latest patch from the ALK website (5.0.1.22) seemed to fix that one.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thinking of opting for copilot 6 software which I guess will have most up to date maps etc as just released & maybe a globalsat or rikaline gps receiver. Posting how I get on shortly...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skaramanga

Do you think the maps used by Copilot would be the best for using in Northern Ireland? I hear they are all patchy enough here, but would want to get the best solution.

Guest FragMeister

pocketgpsworld.com have lots of objective reviews.

I have TomTom 5 with the TomTom BT GPS, and am pleased, apart from when i try to use it with my ebay 1gb SD card, which crashes the phone (it is fine with the original tomtom SD card).

A friend with an MDA Vario has borrowed my GPS receiver and used Tara "pay as you go" sat nav from getmethere - costs £1.50 a route + GPRS to download the route. He went on the A12 until he got to the edge of the world (Lowestoft actually) and was pleased with the quality of the directions spoken and visual. I havent used that myself, but for occasional "holiday" type use it sounds like a cost-effective way of having sat nav without spending almost £200