GPRS/EDGE "E" Icon on iMate SP5 - Resolution

Guest alinkent

Guest alinkent

Hey guys...

New to the forum, but was browsing and thought I'd share the solution to your much discussed GPRS/EDGE "E" icon problem for iMate SP5.

Your not getting the EDGE icon because the registry value RILGSM.DLL loads an older version of the GPRS radio in the WWE_1.5.331.4 ROM. EDGE service is still connected and used in that ROM version, you just don't get the pretty little "E" icon.

If you use your phone display in English and the absence of an EDGE icon really bugs you out, enable it using the NorthEurope ROM. The device still defaults to English using this ROM...it just changes the "other" available languages including T9. You may not want to do this if you're French (for instance) and don't want the phone to display George Bushian!

PLEASE NOTE: All programs and data (including provider settings and SMS/E-mail) will be wiped from your device if you follow this process to change your ROM

This process is only necessary on iMate Tornado based phones and has only been tested on an SP5. I don't own another iMate device so please don't ask me about SP5m, 9100, etc. or ask for the ROM to be posted here (it's illegal and against the forum rules).

Be responsible for your own actions!

Take care to backup your device programs and data before you do anything!

• Login to the Club iMate website and download the "Operating System for English, Finish (suomi), Dutch (Nederlands), Norwegian (Norsk), Slovak (Slovencina), Swedish (Svenska), Hungarian (Magyar) and Danish (Dansk)" Version is: NRE_1.5.333.0

• While there, also grab the "World Wide English (WWE) software pack for your SP5". That file contains all the "extras" iMate includes with the phone such as games, anti-virus, and some other things. All that stuff is deleted when you change the ROM, so get it now and save a trip back to the site.

• Connect your phone by ActiveSync USB and initiate the NRE_1.5.333.0 ROM installation you downloaded. Do NOT interrupt the update process. No programs open...no Internet browsing...no playing with the USB cable (you can break you're phone permenantly if you stop the upgrade). You should have a full battery charge when installing ROM updates!

• When the ROM update is complete you should follow the instructions on your device. After you reboot the phone, the new ROM is activated. Note: When you reconnect your phone for the first time after a ROM update, you'll be asked to recreate your ActiveSync partnership. Click cancel to stop the partnership wizard for now. It appears everytime you connect the phone, so just cancel it after each of the reboots. You can create the partnership at the end once you've completed all the steps below.

• Now, unlock your phone...Download the signed registry editor RegEditSTG.ZIP and move it to your phone's /TEMP directory (do not unzip the file on your computer - you'll unzip it on the phone). Use File Manager on your phone to browse to the /Temp directory and extract to the Current Folder. Go up one level and run the extracted file. In the registry editor, navigate to:
    HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\
    Click "Values" soft-key
    Change "00001001" value to 1 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 2)
    Change "00001005" value to 40 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 16)
    Then Reboot your phone.
  • Unlock unsigned application installations...Download the SDA_ApplicationUnlock program. Extract and run from your desktop with the phone connected by ActiveSync. Reboot the device when requested.

• Change the registry key for EDGE "E" icon...Download a FREE desktop to phone registry editor to allow for easier registry manipulation. Extract and run the Mobile Registry Editor on your desktop with the phone connected by ActiveSync and navigate to:
    HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL
    Double click the "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" value on the right pane
    Change the value to 1 (decimal) (recovery note: default value is 0)

Reboot your phone one last time and you got your "E". The indicator will still show "G" when you're in a GPRS only area.

Recreate your partnership now and reload your device programs and data.

Paul and others, have listed some great registry hacks to enable other cool features on your phone here @ MoDaCo. You can find those in the sticky at the top of this forum. My personal favorite is his "Pocket IE files on Storage Card Patch". Nice job Paul!

If you found this useful...please consider a return favor! I've been looking for a case to keep my SP5 looking new. I'm not keen on the Krussel cases, but found a great product called FlexiSkin made by the folks at BoxWave. Problem is they don't yet have one designed for the SP5 (only for the SP5m at the moment). I've called their sales department and they said it may be added soon with enough customer requests. If you have a moment, please visit the BoxWave website and enter a FlexiSkin product request for the iMate SP5.

If you haven't seen these yet, you're going to want one! With enough requests, we may all be able to get one soon.

Enter your request at: http://dyn.boxwave.com/community/request/request_model.cfm

Pictured below is the BoxWave FlexiSkin for iMate SP5m. They makes these FlexiSkins for just about every electronic gadget out there (including iPod and Treo).

fs_o2xphone2m_all_lg.jpg

Edited by alinkent

Guest dmarsh
If you found this useful...please consider a return favor!  I've been looking for a case to keep my SP5 looking new. I'm not keen on the Krussel cases, but found a great product called FlexiSkin made by the folks at BoxWave.  Problem is they don't yet have one designed for the SP5 (only for the SP5m at the moment). I've called their sales department and they said it may be added soon with enough customer requests. If you have a moment, please visit the BoxWave website and enter a FlexiSkin product request for the iMate SP5.

If you haven't seen these yet, you're going to want one!  With enough requests, we may all be able to get one soon.

Enter your request at: http://dyn.boxwave.com/community/request/request_model.cfm

Pictured below is the BoxWave FlexiSkin for iMate SP5m.  They makes these FlexiSkins for just about every electronic gadget out there (including iPod and Treo).

fs_o2xphone2m_all_lg.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great tip re the "E" symbol.

Put in a request to Boxwave - lets see if they get it.

David from Toronto

Hey guys...

New to the forum, but was browsing and thought I'd share the solution to your much discussed GPRS/EDGE "E" icon problem for iMate SP5.

Your not getting the EDGE icon because the registry value RILGSM.DLL loads an older version of the GPRS radio in the WWE_1.5.331.4 ROM.  EDGE service is still connected and used in that ROM version, you just don't get the pretty little "E" icon.

If you use your phone display in English and the absence of an EDGE icon really bugs you out, enable it using the NorthEurope ROM. The device still defaults to English using this ROM...it just changes the "other" available languages including T9.  You may not want to do this if you're French (for instance) and don't want the phone to display George Bushian!

Excellent! Thanks for finally figuring this one out!

Two questions:

Would simply replacing the WWE rilgsm.dll file with the NRE version work, and is this even possible? Somebody please post this file from the NRE version!

There is NO other difference between the two versions besides the other languages supported? For example, the English is still WWE, not UK?

Thanks again. BoxWave request made!

Guest rsearley
Excellent!  Thanks for finally figuring this one out!

Two questions:

Would simply replacing the WWE rilgsm.dll file with the NRE version work, and is this even possible?  Somebody please post this file from the NRE version!

There is NO other difference between the two versions besides the other languages supported?  For example, the English is still WWE, not UK?

Thanks again.  BoxWave request made!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WWE and NRE are different, for some reason the NRE is smaller and leave more available memory, also if you see the Wifi SNiffer topic, you will see that there is some stuff in the NRE that are not in WWE, why the roms would be so different i dont know!!

Guest gacajun
WWE  and NRE are different, for some reason the NRE is smaller and leave more available memory,  also if you see the Wifi SNiffer topic, you will see that there is some stuff in the NRE that are not in WWE,  why the roms would be so different i dont know!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Request made!!

Now about this fix....has anyone sucessfully went through these instructions and made it work, other than the originator of this thread?

Guest alinkent

I assure you this works to show the EDGE icon. I've had it on my SP5 for some weeks now without problem or adverse effects (it is after all, an offical iMate SP5 ROM build). That said...it's only an icon. You don't need it for any reason, so unless it's interesting to you why go to the trouble.

As for differneces in the WWE ROM versus the NRE ROM. Yes, there are some.

Visually...background screens for the start menu are lighter in color, and some menus that used to be blue are now white (no big deal if you customize with skins anyway).

Languages...the default on phone boot after ROM will be UK English for T9 / phone menus and regional settings (date and currency). You can easily switch all those back to US settings at will.

WiFi settings look the same to me. I had that "sniffer" app in my Settings -> Connections -> Wi-Fi Settings menu before. Full 802.11x security is available on both ROMs and works as intended. Both MAC filtering and WPA security is used on my home network and I connect to my AP without problem.

MMS settings in the NRE ROM have no restrictions. In my previous WWE ROM there were some registry entries that limited send and receive size. Those are no longer there in the NRE version.

Other stuff is so minor it's not even worth mentioning.

Remember that this phone was a product intended for Gulf and European release first. That's why you went to so much time and expense to obtain one in the US. Like my SP3i...updates to the ROM go more often to the NRE version and hardly ever (only once to the US version). Luckily the SP5 is a quad-band phone so updates are applied globally (the SP3i came in two flavors - one for US and one for Europe due to the differing GSM band freq's). It makes sense that the NRE version gets a little more attention from iMate.

Posting DLL's from the OS is not an option here. Forum rules apply I'm sure, but more important it's a license and DMCA violation. Sorry!

anyone know if o2 will ever support EDGE. iv been reading around. people have said orange are the only uk operator. and even they dont tell users about it.

my slow gprs annoys me. :-(

Very nice Alinkent! ;)

I just went to ClubImate to down load the files. It seems that NRE_1.5.333.0 is now NRE_1.6.333.2. Have you seen and / or tried that version?

Guest alinkent

HalM: You have an iMate SP5m phone. My post was referring to the SP5. I don't know that the NRE version will allow this feature on your SP5m phone. It was only tested on the SP5.

The SP5 series ROM builds begin as 1.5

The SP5m series ROM builds begin as 1.6

Most recent ROM's for iMate SP5 series are...

i-mate_SP5_NRE_1.5.333.0.exe

i-mate_SP5_RUS_1.5.332.1.exe

i-mate_SP5_WWE_1.5.331.4.exe

Most recent ROM's for iMate SP5m series are...

i-mate_SP5m_NRE_1.6.333.2.exe

i-mate_SP5m_RUS_1.6.332.3.exe

i-mate_SP5m_WWE_1.6.331.6.exe

Next ROM build updates are scheduled to coincide with AKU2 MSFP release (February as of now). You won't likely see anything sooner.

Very nice Alinkent!  ;)

I just went to ClubImate to down load the files.  It seems that NRE_1.5.333.0 is now NRE_1.6.333.2.  Have you seen and / or tried that version?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Request made!!

Now about this fix....has anyone sucessfully went through these instructions and made it work, other than the originator of this thread?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES! It works very well. Upgraded, reinstalled everything. It was a piece of cake. Phone seems exactly as before, but now the E works. Sweet!

Guest rmastbro
Hey guys...

Your not getting the EDGE icon because the registry value RILGSM.DLL loads an older version of the GPRS radio in the WWE_1.5.331.4 ROM.  EDGE service is still connected and used in that ROM version, you just don't get the pretty little "E" icon.

If you use your phone display in English and the absence of an EDGE icon really bugs you out, enable it using the NorthEurope ROM. The device still defaults to English using this ROM...it just changes the "other" available languages including T9.  You may not want to do this if you're French (for instance) and don't want the phone to display George Bushian!

PLEASE NOTE:  All programs and data (including provider settings and SMS/E-mail) will be wiped from your device if you follow this process to change your ROM

This process is only necessary on iMate Tornado based phones and has only been tested on an SP5.  I don't own another iMate device so please don't ask me about SP5m, 9100, etc. or ask for the ROM to be posted here (it's illegal and against the forum rules).

Be responsible for your own actions!

Take care to backup your device programs and data before you do anything!

• Login to the Club iMate website and download the "Operating System for English, Finish (suomi), Dutch (Nederlands), Norwegian (Norsk), Slovak (Slovencina), Swedish (Svenska), Hungarian (Magyar) and Danish (Dansk)" Version is: NRE_1.5.333.0

• While there, also grab the "World Wide English (WWE) software pack for your SP5".  That file contains all the "extras" iMate includes with the phone such as games, anti-virus, and some other things.  All that stuff is deleted when you change the ROM, so get it now and save a trip back to the site.

• Connect your phone by ActiveSync USB and initiate the NRE_1.5.333.0 ROM installation you downloaded.  Do NOT interrupt the update process.  No programs open...no Internet browsing...no playing with the USB cable (you can break you're phone permenantly if you stop the upgrade).  You should have a full battery charge when installing ROM updates!

• When the ROM update is complete you should follow the instructions on your device.  After you reboot the phone, the new ROM is activated.  Note: When you reconnect your phone for the first time after a ROM update, you'll be asked to recreate your ActiveSync partnership. Click cancel to stop the partnership wizard for now. It appears everytime you connect the phone, so just cancel it after each of the reboots. You can create the partnership at the end once you've completed all the steps below.

• Now, unlock your phone...Download the signed registry editor RegEditSTG.ZIP and move it to your phone's /TEMP directory (do not unzip the file on your computer - you'll unzip it on the phone).  Use File Manager on your phone to browse to the /Temp directory and extract to the Current Folder.  Go up one level and run the extracted file.  In the registry editor, navigate to:
          Click "Values" soft-key
    Then Reboot your phone.

• Unlock unsigned application installations...Download the SDA_ApplicationUnlock program. Extract and run from your desktop with the phone connected by ActiveSync. Reboot the device when requested.

• Change the registry key for EDGE "E" icon...Download a FREE desktop to phone registry editor to allow for easier registry manipulation.  Extract and run the Mobile Registry Editor on your desktop with the phone connected by ActiveSync and navigate to:
    HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL
    Double click the "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" value on the right pane
    Change the value to 1 (decimal) (recovery note: default value is 0)

Reboot your phone one last time and you got your "E". The indicator will still show "G" when you're in a GPRS only area.

Recreate your partnership now and reload your device programs and data.

Paul and others, have listed some great registry hacks to enable other cool features on your phone here @ MoDaCo. You can find those in the sticky at the top of this forum. My personal favorite is his "Pocket IE files on Storage Card Patch".  Nice job Paul!

If you found this useful...please consider a return favor!  I've been looking for a case to keep my SP5 looking new. I'm not keen on the Krussel cases, but found a great product called FlexiSkin made by the folks at BoxWave.  Problem is they don't yet have one designed for the SP5 (only for the SP5m at the moment). I've called their sales department and they said it may be added soon with enough customer requests. If you have a moment, please visit the BoxWave website and enter a FlexiSkin product request for the iMate SP5.

If you haven't seen these yet, you're going to want one!  With enough requests, we may all be able to get one soon.

Pictured below is the BoxWave FlexiSkin for iMate SP5m.  They makes these FlexiSkins for just about every electronic gadget out there (including iPod and Treo).

fs_o2xphone2m_all_lg.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice post... following your directions and it worked like a charm.... :cheesy:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mullema

In the original post you mention:

While there, also grab the "World Wide English (WWE) software pack for your SP5". That file contains all the "extras" iMate includes with the phone such as games, anti-virus, and some other things. All that stuff is deleted when you change the ROM, so get it now and save a trip back to the site.

I actually have the WWE SP5m 1.6 ROM on my SP5m and it doesnt have the "extras" you mention - where on ftp://ftp.clubimate.com/ are those?

Thanks,

Matt

Guest rsearley
In the original post you mention:

While there, also grab the "World Wide English (WWE) software pack for your SP5".  That file contains all the "extras" iMate includes with the phone such as games, anti-virus, and some other things.  All that stuff is deleted when you change the ROM, so get it now and save a trip back to the site.

I actually have the WWE SP5m 1.6 ROM on my SP5m and it doesnt have the "extras" you mention - where on ftp://ftp.clubimate.com/ are those?

Thanks,

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

goto www.imate.com club support > Updates/downloads select your device

and its under operation system upgrades and customisations

• 1 month later...
Guest richy240

Those of us who are loading iMate ROMs on our T-Mobile phones can't access those imate.com pages... Could you post direct links to the files? Or something of that nature? Please?

Guest PaceUK

Click "Values" soft-key

Then Reboot your phone.

????????????????????

What do you mean?

Change "00001001" to "1" and "00001005" to "40" or do you mean the reg value for 40? if so, cant you just write the actual value to change it to.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The actual (decimal) value to 40.

Incedentally the E icon is enabled by default post-C600 AKU2 update.

Re. the i-mate extras, if you dont have an i-mate device you have no right to have the extra apps ;)

If they're on the un-secured ftp though thats another matter...(it doesnt look like they are...)

Guest PaceUK

I dont think so... I have done all the steps and I aint getting an "E" :S

Not to bother, I learnt some cool stuff along the way! Top thread ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest flodis79
I dont think so... I have done all the steps and I aint getting an "E" :S

Not to bother, I learnt some cool stuff along the way! Top thread ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did i understand this correctly - if i do not update the ROM on a Qtek 8310 but make the change in the registry so as to try to get the 'E' there, but it's still not displayed, does that mean that I have the higher edge speeds anyway, only that the 'E' will not be shown?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chaznet

I got the E icon going on my ROM-updated SP5m -- but -- now that it's there, I'm not exactly sure what it means. Both the larger and smaller G icons have now been replaced with the E -- I thought Edge applied to data access (T-Mobile) -- does Edge also handle voice service? If I'm in a area without Edge, will this automatically change to G...? Just checking to see if that registry change explained here has just changed the icon, or if it actually indicates something ... Thanks! ;)

Edited by chaznet